Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABW Printing from Lightroom 2  (Read 5694 times)

pflower

ABW Printing from Lightroom 2
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:13:21 am »

I may be missing something here, but what is the procedure for printing ABW on an Epson 3800 from Lightroom 2?

In Photoshop I choose "no color management" from the Photoshop print dialog and then choose my preferred ABW settings in the Epson print dialog.

In the Lightroom print module the options under colour management are restricted to either choosing a custom profile or allowing the printer to manage colour.  I am down to a limited supply of paper and so can't experiment at the moment.  If I choose my normal colour profile for printing under the Lightroom print module and then choose ABW in the Epson dialog - is this going to produce the same results as per my Photoshop procedure (choosing no colour management) or is it going to interfere with the file.

Not sure if this is entirely clear so let me ask again - what is the best way of printing B&W from Lightroom using Epson's ABW mode?

Any help appreciated.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:01:20 am »

If you have a limited supply of paper, this probably isn't the time to learn something new.

However, take a look at this http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...bwprofiles.html Depending on the paper you use, it may be helpful. Eric (the author) specifically mentions Lightroom.

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:26:28 am »

In the Print Module go to 'Color Management' and select 'Managed by Printer'. When you hit the print button go to the Epson Dialogue box/print settings/basic, then in the color pane select 'Advanced B&W Photo' just as you would have done before in Photoshop. That all - nothing fancy.

Regards, John

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »

The main issue is the gamma of the data that gets send to the ABW driver. LR will send ProPhoto RGB data to the driver, which is gamma 1.8. However, the ABW driver assumes sRGB gamma data, which is ... err, ~2.2. So images normally printed from LR to the ABW driver will appear too dark, especially in the midtones, when used with the ABW driver default of Tone = Darker.

One solution is to experiment with the Tone settings (try Normal or Light instead). But this is sort of hit & miss.

Another solution is to use the one Tom indicated above, i.e., try the various ABW profiles that I've built for various papers (link given above). This completely resolves the gamma issue.
Eric Chan

pflower

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 02:17:04 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  I have used your profiles in Photoshop but recently have been using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta which you haven't got around to yet.  But many thanks for the time and effort you have put into these.

Quote from: madmanchan
The main issue is the gamma of the data that gets send to the ABW driver. LR will send ProPhoto RGB data to the driver, which is gamma 1.8. However, the ABW driver assumes sRGB gamma data, which is ... err, ~2.2. So images normally printed from LR to the ABW driver will appear too dark, especially in the midtones, when used with the ABW driver default of Tone = Darker.

One solution is to experiment with the Tone settings (try Normal or Light instead). But this is sort of hit & miss.

Another solution is to use the one Tom indicated above, i.e., try the various ABW profiles that I've built for various papers (link given above). This completely resolves the gamma issue.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:48 pm »

I should be getting around to Photo Rag Baryta pretty soon. I'll try to update this thread once I do (but I may forget).
Eric Chan

pflower

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »

Thanks I will keep checking your site.  The point about the gamma of Prophoto had completely escaped me.  My main problem is that I use an Apple Cinema Display, it is one thing to calibrate for colour but another to remember to reduce the luminance or brightness to match the luminance of prints since I prefer to work outside of photography with a much brighter monitor than is required to match prints.

My thanks last time round seemed a bit lukewarm.  I really do appreciate the work you have put into your 3800 site.

Thanks again

Quote from: madmanchan
I should be getting around to Photo Rag Baryta pretty soon. I'll try to update this thread once I do (but I may forget).
Pages: [1]   Go Up