Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Cast Problem - Printing with R1900 and Mac  (Read 4595 times)

David L

Color Cast Problem - Printing with R1900 and Mac
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:21 pm »

I recently purchased an Epson R1900.  I am using a Mac, OS 10.5.x with Adobe CS3 and Lightroom 2.1.  I have a calibrated Eizo monitor, calibrated with a Spyder3.  I am using Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper, with current Epson drivers for Leopard (from Epson's website) and current ICC profiles for the specific paper (also from Epson's website).

I've spent considerable time reading posts on this forum as well as others, but have not found a solution to my problem -- which it appears at least is shared by others.

Problem:  I've noticed a considerable color "cast" to my flower photo prints, as compared to the image on the computer monitor.  Blue flower petals appear magenta or pink; the green of a ladybug appears yellow-green.  Moreover the colors seem less saturated, with less "pop" as compared with the image on the monitor.

Based on what I have read, it would appear that my print is subject to the double-profiling problem.  I've tried everything (including changing rendering intent), but nothing seems to work - using Lightroom vs CS3 makes no difference.  

Process: When in either Lightroom or CS3, I have selected to allow the application to control color (i.e. Photoshop Manage Colors), such that I can select the appropriate ICC printer profile for my printer/paper -- this is something like SPR1900PreGlosPhotoRPM.icc (from memory).  I press print and the "Epson" print module appears.  There, I go to "Print Settings" and make sure that under "Color Setting" the "Off (No Color Adjustment)" is selected.  I then go to "Color Matching" and I think this is where the problem is:  both options are grayed out - "Colorsync" and whatever the other option is -- but I can see that the "Colorsync" button, while grayed out, is still selected.  There is no option to turn Color Matching off.  

The softproofing option is CS3 is great - but my prints are looking nothing like it.  I think the problem lies with not being able to turn off Color Matching in the Epson Print module, even if the options are grayed out.  

Any suggestions/thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated!  I've tried reinstalling the drivers, but that had no effect.  As a side note, I opened up the Colorsync program in OS 10.5 and told it to "repair" my profiles (which I think includes ICC profiles).  It said many of them were in need of repair and it says it fixed them.  I haven't tried printing since "repairing" the profiles, but somehow I don't think this will make a difference.

Please let me know if providing pictures or more description of settings would be helpful.

David

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:20:03 pm »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:22:12 pm by DYP »

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »

David,
 "Problem: I've noticed a considerable color "cast" to my flower photo prints, as compared to the image on the computer monitor. Blue flower petals appear magenta or pink; the green of a ladybug appears yellow-green. Moreover the colors seem less saturated, with less "pop" as compared with the image on the monitor."

It sounds to me that you have a clogged cyan nozzle. Have you tried a nozzle check?

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up