Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for a Newbie  (Read 10332 times)

Mike Katz

Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 03:42:41 pm »

Thanks everyone. I am staying with my Sony for awhile. I really appreciate the expert advice you have all given me.

Mike

Mike Katz

Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 05:01:16 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Lin

Thanks, I ignored him anyway.

Matthew, thanks for the advice on the remote. I have just purchased the flash, which makes a huge difference to indoor low-light situations. Using bounce flash really works well.

Once I absorb the cost of the flash, I will look at the remote if I get too much movement.

Mike[/font]

Mike Katz

Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 06:16:19 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi JimK

Thanks for the response. I presume you are referring to the Sunday essay on the LL site, which spoke about this.

I thought about that option when I read the essay. I don't buy into it fully.

On the positive side, I agree that it's good to use manual mode and set the speed and exposure myself to learn what they do and the effects they have. I do this. However, taking pictures, making notes, developing the slides, and then referring back to notes days later seems a very slow and painful way to learn something that I can get almost instant feedback on.

To me, it's akin to teaching people to program by first teaching them machine language or assembler before moving to a modern programming language. I think you can teach people far quicker by using the easy language and making them enthusiastic and productive. Then, you introduce deeper and more technical issues as you go along.

Mike[/font]

Tina Wolfe

Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 04:50:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Forget the Sony camera if you'd like to make quality images and quality prints.[/font]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up