Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G10, DPP Raw Processing, & Distortion Correction  (Read 4079 times)

httivals

Canon G10, DPP Raw Processing, & Distortion Correction
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:57 am »

For those of you who have the G10 and have used it with DPP (Canon's raw processing software), does DPP automatically determine focusing distance and focal length to precisely correct for distortion, if you want it to?  Or do you need to manually adjust sliders, or do other manual adjustments, to determine the appropriate amount/type of distortion correction?  I'll probably buy the camera now if DPP does distortion correction automatically, but if it's manual, and hence in my view less accurate (because manual adjustments invite user error), then I may hold off until it's support by DXO Optics.  Thanks for the help.

httivals

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:19:02 pm »

Another question -- does in camera, jpegs, automatically correct distortion, like I understand panasonic's in camera jpegs do?  This would be another approach in situations where I want accurate distortion correction (such as with stitching panoramics), though it is not my preferred approach.  Thanks,

Bob Geo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:44 pm »

At present the lens corrections in DPP are disabled for G10 raw files.   (Windows DPP 3.5.0.0)   There's a tab called NR/Lens/ALO with vignetting, CA, distortion and color fringe corrections greyed out.  Canon USA confirms that is the current situation and didn't respond on the issue of future releases of DPP supporting these functions got G10 files.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up