Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darkened image output.  (Read 2813 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Darkened image output.
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:23:49 am »

Hello all.

got a question for you,

I use LR2.1 and output my images from there to full-res jpgs at 300ppi. then after that I put the images online, usually onto facebook. What I don't get is that the images look properly exposed in LR but once exported they look badly under exposed.

has anyone else had this problem, or know why is is happening when i upload the photos?

examples.

100%crop.
[attachment=9281:mme_9406_s.JPG]

100%crop
[attachment=9282:mme_9899_s.JPG]

not too badly exposed, but fun to share anyways.

------------------------

side note: did you know that you can't bring a lens longer than 70mm to a sporting arena (press pass aside) ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:09:44 am by mike.online »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Darkened image output.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:21:40 am »

In what colour space are you exporting the files?  For the 'net it should be sRGB.  Also, for the web 300ppi is a waste of file size.  72ppi is fine.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Darkened image output.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
In what colour space are you exporting the files?  For the 'net it should be sRGB.  Also, for the web 300ppi is a waste of file size.  72ppi is fine.

Mike.

the color space is sRGB, and I use 300ppi because when i publish/print stuff that's what the publishers/printers want. But, it is easy enough to change an output preset for the web to 72ppi. good idea, thanks!

H'okay.

I think I found the root of the problem, and it is monitor calibration. I like my monitor set to really bright, and that is why the images look so damned dark everywhere else. I brought my monitor down (from 100% to 50%), and then adjusted all of the files in lightroom to match the brightness adjustment.

Adjusted Images
[attachment=9297:mme_9406.jpg][attachment=9298:mme_9899.jpg]
(do these look bright enough now?)

This all makes sense. However, now I'm curious as to what brightness setting most monitors are... If the web is where most of my stuff goes, then what brightness setting is right (I know i need to use a calibrator to be accurate)? Is there a level that is "standard" ?

DarkPenguin

Darkened image output.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:52 pm »

You need a puck to know what brightness you've set.  I can guarantee you that my dell with brightness dialed down to 0 is far brighter than my HP dialed to 100%.

You can't predict what monitor people are going to have.  But if you go to an extreme you know you'll lose a bunch of them.  Get a spyder or colormunki or whatever and calibrate your stuff.  Then don't worry about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up