Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: should i return my 300d?  (Read 3422 times)

John Lewis Marshall

should i return my 300d?
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:00:34 am »

Dear Digitalpuppy,
Not all chips are created equal. Here is a link to an Astro-photographer who uses the 300d camera. He made  comparison exposures with 3 different 300ds, at different iso settings and different exposure times. If your camera doesn't compare when you make an exposure with the lens cap on (dark frame), then I suggest you return it to Canon for a new chip, along with some examples of the problem.  I returned an A70 with a hot pixel problem, and they repaired it for me immediately.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jes.summers/C...%20EOS300D.html

good luck,  John

drew

should i return my 300d?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 09:50:38 am »

On a recent trip to Morocco, I used both a 1DS and a 10D to take star trail shots. Exposure time for the 1DS shot was about 2 hours and for the 10D about 40 minutes. The images from both cameras show lots of hot pixels of different colours and in the case of the 1DS, there is also a hot area on the right side of the sensor with a pinkish cast. I thought that this was just an 'acceptable' manifestation of the technology, particularly as all my usual shots are fine. I would be interested to know views on two things. Firstly, should I accept the performance of my cameras? Since mine are likely to represent random samples from a vast pool, I would have thought they are unlikely to be anything out of the ordinary. Also, can someone enlighten me on the procedure for dark frame subtraction that is mentioned above?

digitalpuppy

should i return my 300d?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:11:26 am »

I have  a canon digital rebel 300d which has a load of stuck pixels which majority are red or blue. they can be seen on exposures over 1 sec. Any other time they are not visible.

Its quite frustrating since one of my fav methods of photography is long exposure.  

I wish i could show you these examples shots ive take but i cant find a server to host my images at the moment. ftp is down.

Imagine looking at the stars on a clear night in the country... thats how bad my images are showing up when doing night exposure. grrr

Anything faster than 1/60sec seems to be ok.

is this normal?

digitalpuppy

should i return my 300d?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 12:28:35 am »

finally back after a long drive!  I went back to the store took it back, explained and displayed examples. I got my money back and i went to another store which had them in stock..

I tested two cameras they had. one was worst, the other was much much better!

No other stores in the 200mi radius has this camera in stock and for some wild reason they cant get it for about 2 weeks. WIERD! one shop told me about some photo op going on last week or in the coming week and thats why they cant get them... what ever that meant.

Anyway, Ive bought another rebel... This one only has 9 hot pixles that i can count at 30 sec ISO 1600

Im starting to think there are no perfect rebels out there? --other than the one used at dpreview.  

ah well. i guess i can live with 9 pixles. they are not that prominent. we'll see how much they bug me in the next few days.

see the image of the exchanged camera:
iso1600 30s
http://photographytips.com/forums/attachments/newtest1%2Ejpg

*later on this same day*
i shot the same dark image at iso 100, NO STUCK PIXIES! YIPPY! i guess im happy now
Pages: [1]   Go Up