Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic digital rangefinder  (Read 4419 times)

BJL

Panasonic digital rangefinder
« on: October 09, 2003, 05:30:10 pm »

A debate has raged at DPReview over how much this is like a Leica M. Given my great pessimism about there ever being a digital camera with true rangefinder focusing or any digital non-SLR with interchangeable lenses, this at least offers a few of the virtues of a rangefinder when compared to other digital cameras:

a) traditional control wheels on the lens barrel for focus, zoom and aperture setting, and even a traditional speed setting knob on top
 considerably smaller size than a DSLR, which is the only other option for getting (a).
c) A Leica lens; the debate now starts over whether it is a real Leica lens or one made under that name by Minolta (I have heard tha Minolta was also the maker of at least one Leica M or R series lens.)

In respect of the future of good digital cameras than are smaller than DSLR's, is there a future for sensor sizes to grow beyond 2/3" format in cameras like this new Panasonic/Leica? It would mainly take the making of a sensor in say 4/3 or "APS" size but with live preview output. I am puzzled why there is a huge factor of four jump in sensor areas between the biggest, most expensive fixed lens digicams and the smallest one with interchangeable lenses; especially since the cheapest of the latter (Canon 300D) costs less than some of the former (Sony 828).

victoraberdeen

• http://www.abovo-media.com
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 02:50:35 am »

I live in hope - BJL...

This looks like a step in the right direction, and we could speculate that there will be a parallel to the duet Panasonic LC 5 and Leica Digilux 1.

If I were to dream, then a Contax G or Leica M with a full size sensor over 10meg and full color on each pixel. Then you can have the best optics and live preview – that would change the Digicam market.

BruceK

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 11:17:04 am »

Found this whilst browsing Fred Miranda's site: Lumix DMC-LC1  Looks like a  V E R Y  interesting camera, at least to me...

Bruce

Jim Zipp

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 01:55:41 pm »

It shouldn't be too surprising that this resembles a Leica as Panasonic currently makes their Minox digital cameras.
Pages: [1]   Go Up