Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell strikes again! round 2  (Read 15096 times)

daws

Ken Rockwell strikes again! round 2
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:03 am »

Quote from: siejones
"A guy in Canada posted that he can't see much difference between the G10 and a 39MP Hasselblad, but he was only looking at 13x19" (30x50cm) inkjet prints.

See? It's those Guys In Canada again. First they shrink our dollars, now our Hassys are doorstops. When will the cruelty end?

P.S. I could see Canada from my back yard in California, if I had something longer than this miserable 200mm.

P.P.S. If that isn't bad enough, Canada's just a well-lofted spitwad across the river from Alaska, but will those GIC's lift a finger to save us from Palin? Hah! Well, while you're up there laughing, we're down here running out of moose. It isn't fair.

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:34 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
"A pro making large (3 feet or 1m wide) prints would see differences, but amateurs making small 13x19" inkjets won't."

Will someone please tell Rockwell that big prints do not make someone a pro, as he should know VERY well...

How would Ken know?

Sorry, but winning a photo contest in your local newspaper (Ken's only real claim to fame, several years ago) does not make someone a professional photographer.  

Slough

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:53 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Interesting that in all of the USA, the self-proclaimed greatest land on Earth, the top 2 people for president include a man mentally unbalanced as a result of torture in a wartime POW prison. This is the best we can do? If it is, then the likes of Rockwell should be fronting the media that promote the likes of McCain. Oops......

I'm always astonished that a country as great as America can elect someone like George Bush who created a fiasco in Iraq (no weapons of mass destruction, no Al-Qaieda connection), a mess in Afghanistan (it may well fall to the Taliban and Al-Qaieda), and a completely screwed up world economy (insufficient regulation and sub-prime scandals). Obama looks far too sane. You'll get Oven Chips and Potty Palin, you'll see.

Anyway, there is a saying, namely "Don't argue with a fool". Surely commenting on a web site created by someone who is not very bright falls into that category, no?

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:12 am »

Quote from: Slough
I'm always astonished that a country as great as America can elect someone like George Bush who created a fiasco in Iraq (no weapons of mass destruction, no Al-Qaieda connection), a mess in Afghanistan (it may well fall to the Taliban and Al-Qaieda), and a completely screwed up world economy (insufficient regulation and sub-prime scandals). Obama looks far too sane. You'll get Oven Chips and Potty Palin, you'll see.

The sub-prime crisis was caused by Bush???? You need to do a bit of research old chap. Look up Senator Christopher Dodd and Congressman Barney Frank, Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac. Look up the history of the Bills they have helped push through Congress, and which way Obama voted. Also look into how Bush positioned himself on the issue. No the world economy has been brought to its knees by Obama's close friends.

The thing that consistently amazes me about the US presidential elections is how they manage to find (batting 3 for 3 here) such terrible candidates in the first place. George Bush is terrible and a complete idiot, but it's easy to overlook the fact that Gore and Kerry were so abysmal that the people got the better candidate elected.

And now the world has to watch another impending train wreck with Obama on the one hand (who has you hoping that for the 3rd election in a row that the Americans hold their noses and vote Republican again) except that McCain might die and leave Sarah Palin as the most powerful person in the world. OMFG!

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 10:57:14 am »

Not sure it's wise to get into politics on a photo board, my only comment will be I feel both candidates are just as loathsome as each other, and I would not be likely to trust either to post a letter in a mailbox, let alone run a country. One isn't such a great speaker, but appears more genuine, the other one is very good on stage, has possibly better policies in some cases,  but is clearly deeply in love with himself. But neither do much for me..

Back to photography, Ken Rockwell clearly writes for maximum impact, and I assume he earns an income off of his site..I honestly don't take everything I read there as a photographic reference manual, just his sometimes OTT view, saying that, he does say some sensible things, and some not so great ones too. The same goes for this site, it's a more serious affair, but I tend to make my own mind up on certain areas, which I would hope most people would too.

I suspect if both met, they would get along just great. Maybe Michael should invite Ken up for a chat, and a nice cup of tea.. ;-)

Slough

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:52 am »

Quote from: barryfitzgerald
I suspect if both met, they would get along just great. Maybe Michael should invite Ken up for a chat, and a nice cup of tea.. ;-)

I look forward to the LL video of this meeting ...

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:22 pm »

Quote from: peripatetic
The sub-prime crisis was caused by Bush???? You need to do a bit of research old chap. Look up Senator Christopher Dodd and Congressman Barney Frank, Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac. Look up the history of the Bills they have helped push through Congress, and which way Obama voted. Also look into how Bush positioned himself on the issue. No the world economy has been brought to its knees by Obama's close friends.

The thing that consistently amazes me about the US presidential elections is how they manage to find (batting 3 for 3 here) such terrible candidates in the first place. George Bush is terrible and a complete idiot, but it's easy to overlook the fact that Gore and Kerry were so abysmal that the people got the better candidate elected.

And now the world has to watch another impending train wreck with Obama on the one hand (who has you hoping that for the 3rd election in a row that the Americans hold their noses and vote Republican again) except that McCain might die and leave Sarah Palin as the most powerful person in the world. OMFG!

I think you need to do a lot of research (not a "bit") if you think the primary cause of the financial meltdown is Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.  Fannie Mae bought some of the bonds backed by bad mortgages, but so did a lot of others (including the Chinese and the British).

Al Gore was worse than George Bush?  I think that's comically wrongheaded, and I didn't vote for either of them.  No, I'm not going to vote for either of the two major party candidates again this year, but I will say that Obama is clearly the better candidate inasmuch as he ran the better campaign.  Also, Obama is an impressive figure who understands international relations (that's what he majored in at Columbia University), who is a professor of constitutional law, and who has impressed the likes of Colin Powell and Warren Buffet (possibly the next Secretary of Treasury in an Obama administration).

People bashed FDR and still do, but for all his faults his adoption of Keynsian economics created what we would consider the middle class.  The Friedman economics gang has nearly destroyed the middle class, but it has been a farce because the Republicans apply some of Keyne's economic principles too, it's just that they target the benefits to the rich.  I find it laughable that there are so many who want four more years of extremist Republicanism in spite of the abundant evidence that it has completely failed to deliver a better life to most Americans.  As FDR famously said " We have nothing to fear but fear itself", and now it appears that all the Republicans have left in their arsenal is fear.

Slough

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:20 pm »

Quote from: peripatetic

The cause was deregulation of financial markets to a degree that was reckless which occured on Bush Junior's watch. It has been many years in the baking.

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

Quote from: Slough
The cause was deregulation of financial markets to a degree that was reckless which occured on Bush Junior's watch. It has been many years in the baking.

Things could be worse... you could live in a country that just re-elected an idiot who idolizes the likes of George W. Bush and John Howard.  

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

One thing we should all be able to agree on, whatever our political inclinations or national origins: Ken Rockwell makes even less sense than any of the politicians/candidates that have been mentioned in this thread.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »

Before someone calls Rockwell the Sarah Palin of photography, let's drop the political debate.

Michael

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up