Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon next week  (Read 8983 times)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Antelope Canyon next week
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »

I'll be out with the family for a day in Page.  Years ago I shot Upper Antelope Canyon and loved it but my family hasn't seen either place.  Of the two is one more impressive than the other?  Thanks, Jim

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:52:36 pm »

Just different.  I suppose both isn't an option?  If I had to choose I'd choose upper, no guide required (at least when I was there a couple of year ago) and you can browse at leisure - but there might be some mud/water.  OTOH, since you've seen upper maybe lower... sorry not much help.

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:01 am »

I agree with Tim, both are very different. Upper is a guided visit (at least in the summer months).Upper canyon is short and very accessible. The lower canyon is quite long - compared to upper Antelope. There's a series of steep ladders and it can be very narrow in places. The upper was more crowded than the lower canyon.
I've found that visiting the lower canyon early in the morning until about 11h00 and then going to the upper canyon gives you good lighting conditions (in September and October).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:20:27 am by francois »
Francois

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »

Hmmm, sounds like I got upper and lower mixed up again.  I blame the dyslexia

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:40:07 pm »

I know the upper only from Internet. Apparently it is much easier, the masses of tourists go there. The lower one is strenuous, it is very interesting from the outside as well; however, not with small children.

See Pics and *read the warning*

Take a low-light wide angle lens, you won't change lenses down there. I had the tripod with me and used it on some places, but in much of the canyon it is not possible to use it.

I don't see, why you could not do both on one day, they are close to each other.
Gabor

francois

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:23:38 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
I know the upper only from Internet. Apparently it is much easier, the masses of tourists go there. The lower one is strenuous, it is very interesting from the outside as well; however, not with small children.

See Pics and *read the warning*

Take a low-light wide angle lens, you won't change lenses down there. I had the tripod with me and used it on some places, but in much of the canyon it is not possible to use it.

I don't see, why you could not do both on one day, they are close to each other.
The Upper is very easy. It's level and wide and not that long. You're right, crowds go there first. There's a 3 miles dusty and bumpy truck ride to access the entrance. The ride is provided by the Navajo guides.

FWIW, I could use my tripod in both parts of the canyon but found it harder in the upper due to the crowd. In the lower canyon, one should avoid taking a big backpack as some portions are indeed very narrow. And, yes, don't change lenses unless you want 100s of dust spots on your sensor.
Francois

haefnerphoto

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:31:51 pm »

Thanks for the advice!  Since I've been to the upper canyon I guess I'll have a look at the lower.  I'd like to do both but we'll be driving up from Flagstaff and I want to show the family some other locations in the area.  Jim

vandevanterSH

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:07:59 pm »

I was there 10 days ago.  The upper was busy as usual and I just did the lower which was also pretty crowded.  I have done both canyons several times in the past.  Best time of day is probably early-mid-afternoon.  My best pictures were with wide angle, low ISO, f8-11 and multi-sec exposures and a tripod.

Steve

haefnerphoto

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:53:27 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I was there 10 days ago.  The upper was busy as usual and I just did the lower which was also pretty crowded.  I have done both canyons several times in the past.  Best time of day is probably early-mid-afternoon.  My best pictures were with wide angle, low ISO, f8-11 and multi-sec exposures and a tripod.

Steve

Great shots, I especially like the first one.  Which wide angle lens did you use?  Jim

vandevanterSH

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 05:31:38 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Great shots, I especially like the first one.  Which wide angle lens did you use?  Jim

Hassselblad SWC-38mm Biogon and digital back.  I would guess that combination gives the DSLR full frame equivalent of about 36mm.
You should also go the Horseshoe Bend, which is also close to Page, AZ.  I tried shooting there in the AM and the light at this time of year was hopeless.  I didn't have time to try late PM.

Steve

lbalbinot

• http://luisbalbinot.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:03:14 pm »

You'll have a great time if you go to lower antelope. Too bad this time of the year there are no light shafts anymore. Well, but that will give you a chance to think of a different composition over there :-) It's quite a challenge to photograph in there. And yes, take a wide angle lens with you.

And definitely go to Horseshoe Bend! Don't miss it for anything in the world. Try going there before sunrise and during sunset. At sunrise the sun will be on your back and during sunset it'll be in front of you.

Luis

Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com

haefnerphoto

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:58:15 pm »

Well, I've got a Mamiya 28mm and a 35 so I guess I'll take both in.  Hopefully the light will be high enough to produce some interesting shots.  Thanks for everyone's input!  Jim

vandevanterSH

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:25:41 pm »

Quote from: lbalbinot
You'll have a great time if you go to lower antelope. Too bad this time of the year there are no light shafts anymore. Well, but that will give you a chance to think of a different composition over there :-) It's quite a challenge to photograph in there. And yes, take a wide angle lens with you.

And definitely go to Horseshoe Bend! Don't miss it for anything in the world. Try going there before sunrise and during sunset. At sunrise the sun will be on your back and during sunset it'll be in front of you.

Luis

One advantage of no light shafts is that your camera equipment is less likely to be damaged.  I was in the Upper canyon two years ago with a small group and it was quite windy.  There were fairly good light shafts due to all of the fine sand in the air.  Most people in my group needed to send their equipment in for service due to the sand.  I ruined a Nikon "kit" lens that wasn't worth servicing.  (A fair example of light shaft)  Also if your are in Page, Zion and Bryce are "just up the road".*g*

Steve

Steve

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:47 pm »

I liked using a guide----Overland Canyon Tours.  Although we did not have nearly as many "crowds" as others have experienced, it was helpful to have a guide direct traffic and also point out where he "knew" a light shaft would soon appear---allowing us to set up our tripods and gear in the best positions.  Attached image taken with Mamiya and P30; Mamiya 35mm was plenty wide.  Tripod and cable release.  Fantastic trip!

haefnerphoto

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »

Monday, my family and I traveled from Flagstaff to Page.  We arrived at Lower Antelope Canyon around 11 am and had a fantastic time!  I appreciate everyone's advice.  Attached is one of the images I like from the shoot.  We even shot our Christmas card family portrait there, what a great place (and not crowded too!).  Jim
[attachment=9484:11_03_08...just_dc2.jpg]

francois

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:52:45 am »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Monday, my family and I traveled from Flagstaff to Page.  We arrived at Lower Antelope Canyon around 11 am and had a fantastic time!  I appreciate everyone's advice.  Attached is one of the images I like from the shoot.  We even shot our Christmas card family portrait there, what a great place (and not crowded too!).  Jim
[attachment=9484:11_03_08...just_dc2.jpg]
It's good to hear that you had a great time in the Canyon. Thank you for sharing your photo, this placce is absolutely sublime!
Francois

Lester

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:18:15 pm »

Talk about being late for the party. I wish I could put my 2 cent in before your trip to the Antelope Canyon. Anyway, in case someone else decide to go there, here is my 2 cent worth. I was at the Upper Antelope Canyon, this June for the light shafts. This year, they have a guide for the photographers, which is 2 hours. It is just for the photographers, the guide take you in and show you where the light shaft going to be at what time and which is the best area to take pictures. They did not have this, last year, they just let you roam around for 2 hours. I have been there on 06,07 and 08, to shoot the light shafts.

The Upper Antelope Canyon is a walk in type of Canyon, you really do not need a guide, I never had one, the Indians that is in charge, controlled the people, so that you could take pictures, without people in your pictures. The times I was there, I never had any wind, blowing sand down the canyon, when it does, it is really bad for the cameras.

The Lower Antelope Canyon is across the road from the Upper, in fact it is in the same river bed but own by different Indian family. The photographer paid his rate and they let you go for 4 hours, it is below the surface of the land. It is below ground and I was there a day after my trip to the Upper Antelope Canyon, I did not get any light shaft, it was too open at the top and too much light comes in. It was not windy so, you can not see any shafts, no sand was blowing into the canyon. I was also there, last year in October and the lighting seems better, because no hot spots.

What I know now, it is best to go to the Upper Antelope Canyon, in June and shoot the light shafts, then go to the Lower Antelope Canyon and shoot there. As long as no sand is blowing around.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:23:19 pm by Lester »
I am a old fart, over 60
Pages: [1]   Go Up