Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumour du Jour - No More Fuji S2?  (Read 3872 times)

mbridgers

Rumour du Jour - No More Fuji S2?
« on: January 10, 2003, 10:50:41 am »

I haven't heard anything about that, but Fuji is a licensee (or partner or whatever) with Olympus and Kodak on the 4/3 system.  Maybe a) Fuji's moving to that for future DSLRs or  Nikon will no longer contract with them since they may be competing with lenses and such.

But I'm just making this up, I have no industry sources, reliable or otherwise.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 05:35:04 am »

From when?

Fuji will have a supply agreement in place with Nikon.  There is no way Nikon would breach that.  However, I guess Nikon must be irritated that the S2 consisitently does better in tests than the D100.

It also does not seem to make sense for Nikon.  Fuji buyers purchase Nikon mount lenses.  Nikon makes money on every body it sells to Fuji.  With so many DSLRs using the Nikon mount, it is almost becoming the industry standard.  Why risk that?

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Paul Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 12:40:47 pm »

Yes, I would have to agree that it would seem strange for Nikon to stop selling bodies to Fuji, as every time a S2 is sold Nikon has another "nikon" user.  But NIkon has done little IMO lately to make much sense.

As for Kodak, the 14n, "physical body" is made by Kodak, not Nikon.  The parts inside the body, mechanical, electronic that are camera related are Nikon N80 and F100.  Unfortunately very few F100.  Kodak will service the 14n 100% unlike how they currently service their other Pro bodies like the 760.

Paul Caldwell

Cliff LeSergent

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 09:37:12 am »

Yesterday, I heard a rumour, from a fairly reliable industry source, that Nikon has decided to stop supplying camera bodies to Fuji.  This could mean that Fuji would either have to source another manufacturer's bodies for their DSLR's, or build their own.  Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 11:26:22 am »

...Nikon has decided to stop supplying camera bodies to Fuji.

There would have been a contract in place before Fuji would have committed to building the S2.

Cliff LeSergent

• http://www.cl-photos.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2003, 10:29:35 am »

A supply agreement would be for a specified period of time, or for a specified number of units.  It may be (if there is any substance to this rumour at all), that the agreement has run its course and Nikon decided to end the relationship.

It is also possible that whatever agreement they now have in place to supply bodies to Kodak may require exclusivity, preventing them from selling similar goods to Fuji (it's no secret how Kodak and Fuji feel about each other).   Hmmm...  maybe Kodak is going to buy Nikon?  :p
Pages: [1]   Go Up