Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ram converter?  (Read 2263 times)

MikeMike

• http://
Ram converter?
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »

Hello,

I just bought a new 24" IMac with 4 gigs of a ram upgrade to replace my old PowerMac G5, so since the IMac only has two slots, I now have two 1gb modules (is that what they're called?) sitting around. I know that these won't fit in my PowerMac or my Powerbook G4, but are there converters available so that I could use them? Seems like a waste to put them in a drawer.

Thanks!
Michael

DarkPenguin

Ram converter?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:24:12 pm »

I'm going to say no.  Even if there were would you want to stuff old slow memory into a fast new machine?

MikeMike

• http://
Ram converter?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:05:30 am »

On the contrary, it's new stuff into an old machine

I'm doing searches on google but it doesn't seem to exist. If anybody has any ideas then please let me know

giles

Ram converter?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:48:54 am »

Quote from: MikeMike
I just bought a new 24" IMac with 4 gigs of a ram upgrade to replace my old PowerMac G5, so since the IMac only has two slots, I now have two 1gb modules (is that what they're called?) sitting around. I know that these won't fit in my PowerMac or my Powerbook G4, but are there converters available so that I could use them? Seems like a waste to put them in a drawer.
Join the club; I think everyone has a collection of old small RAM modules.  Mine is so extensive I've forgotten what all the different types are, or even what machines they came from.

Re converters -- no, I've never heard of any, and don't imagine they exist: when the module format changes, there are usually changes in pin counts and voltage.  I imagine any conversion would be hard.

Giles
Pages: [1]   Go Up