Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking Layers in Photoshop  (Read 2801 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Linking Layers in Photoshop
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:22:44 pm »

Hi all,

I have been Googling and using Photoshop help but I don't know the key words to search for, wondering if someone could help?

I want to apply an adjustment layer to a single layer only - NOT to the whole image. I can't for the life of me remember how to do it.
Can someone please point me in the right direction??

Much appreciated, thanks

John

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 04:33:21 pm »

Nevermind, it's called 'Clipping' - CS4 actually has a little icon which I just found, CS3 used some weird keyboard combo, which I could never remember.

Bill J

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
Nevermind, it's called 'Clipping' - CS4 actually has a little icon which I just found, CS3 used some weird keyboard combo, which I could never remember.

When you are making a specific adjustment, the Clip To Layer button is third from the left at the bottom, after the arrow and some folder-looking icon.  However, on the main adjustment panel interface with all the adjustment types, there is a button at the bottom right that looks like a stack of three of those Clip To Layer icons, but I can't find any information on what that does. I can't find anything on it in the Photoshop on-line help, there is no tool tip when I hover over it, and I don't see anything change in the layers or in the image when I toggle it.

If anyone can explain what this is for, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up