Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inventory Software  (Read 3734 times)

PhillyPhotographer

Inventory Software
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »

Could some recommend software to keep track of sales.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Inventory Software
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:00:20 am »

Sales is not inventory. Say a few more words about what the problem is and what you think you want.

Jay Kaplan

Inventory Software
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:36:17 am »

To keep track of either inventory or sales use an accounting program such as Quickbook Pro from Intuit. It will handle both and can be customized to your particular type of business.

Jay

PhillyPhotographer

Inventory Software
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »

I have no idea why I said 'inventory".  

I'm looking for a way to keep track of sales and were my prints are in an edition. I would like to have a sheet or page for each print that has the titles, year, size, and a list that says number 1 of 45 is sold, number 2 of 45 is in a gallery etc, etc.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Inventory Software
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 04:00:40 pm »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
I'm looking for a way to keep track of sales and were my prints are in an edition. I would like to have a sheet or page for each print that has the titles, year, size, and a list that says number 1 of 45 is sold, number 2 of 45 is in a gallery etc, etc.
I use Quickbooks and while it would be a great tool for general print sales and commissioned work, I don't think it would work well for tracking individual prints in each edition. For that I would use a database program such as Excel or FileMaker. At first blush either of these programs may seem like too much and overwhelming, however once you set up a single database for an individual print it would be easy to use it as a template for other prints. Note that FileMaker even has templates for "Creatives".

With either of these database programs you'd be able to make a page for an entire edition, and within each "cell" have access to info on each of those prints by merely clicking the cell. The info for each print could then include many cells with info such as date printed, size, location, price, current gallery, etc.
~ CB

Rein

Inventory Software
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:47:57 am »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
I have no idea why I said 'inventory".  

Hi,

I'm new to this forum - been watching it for years - finally decided to make some noise.

Oddly enough I needed the same kind of program to track my prints with galleries and other resellers  - but as we all know there is nothing that specific or comprehensive out there, so I wrote my own. (Photography is my first love, database programming is second.)

Spent a few days putting on some polish to make the program presentable and created a quick Flash demo - you can view it at http://www.fotofolio.ca/fototrack/  - it is very quick demo.

The program is written using Adobe Coldfusion and normally I would just run it locally but I wanted to access the data from anywhere and eventually develop it into a sales and marketing tool so that galleries can access their information, place orders, etc.  

I'd like to get everyone's comments on the program. Potentially this program can be made available to other photographers and artist.

Cheers,
Rein  

rein@fotofolio.ca

Jay Kaplan

Inventory Software
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 04:51:08 pm »

If you want to use a data base for tracking edition prints then FileMaker or Access from Microsoft will do. Excel is a spreadsheet program that can also be used to track edition prints. Access is part of MS Office as it Excel and there are editions for both Windows as well as for Macs. The Office website should have many templates to use for tracking print editions.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up