Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: color or BW  (Read 3647 times)

tony Rosca

• http://www.photophan.com
color or BW
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:42:33 pm »

Hi guys ,
What you think has more impact , color or BW ? Also having people incorporate in my work it is new for me . What you guys think I am doing ?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
color or BW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:02:14 pm »

Well, they're both good but very different.  The way you've processed the B&W gives it that HDR 'grunge' look to it, which I don't normally like but works here.  Couldn't choose a 'favourite'.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

color or BW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:08:24 pm »

Color.

joergen geerds

• http://joergengeerds.com
color or BW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »

Quote from: tony Rosca
Hi guys ,
What you think has more impact , color or BW ? Also having people incorporate in my work it is new for me . What you guys think I am doing ?

color.
the black&white version has a strange HDR-looking background with some strange halo-effect that makes the background very distracting, and it is not so distracting in the color version.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 05:39:08 pm by joergen geerds »

tony Rosca

color or BW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:26:42 pm »

Quote from: joergen geerds
color.
the black&white version has a strange HDR-looking background with some strange halo-effect that makes the background very distracting, and it is not so distracting in the color version.

In the B&W I did the HDR on background to give it the same importance as the kid. The picture was not intended to be a portrait and when converted to B&W the image focused more on the kid.
I even printed both 11x14 and have them side by side and still I can't choose.
Thanks for the input guys

MGutman

color or BW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »

I prefer color for this composition because it has a very "painterly" look.  

erictoddjohnson

color or BW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45:15 am »

I prefer the color version, but it would be interesting to see the B&W without the HDR on the background.

Eric

KeithR

color or BW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:39:52 am »

To me they both have good and bad points. Given the subject, the color seems too much, especially the HDR backgound, and the B&W doesn't have the feeling that I think you were tring to get.
I would have gone a bit farther in that I would have made the B&W darker and made in more of a brown tone(more chocolate) and add a touch of a lens filter or gaussian blur, just enough to soften it. I would then drag the color version onto the B&W(now brownish), making it a layer and desaturated it to take some of the color away but leave just enough. I would then paint a mask over the background to reveal the previous background. Just a suggestion
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

tony Rosca

color or BW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:25:59 am »

Hi Keith, I have other images from this project were I desaturated the colors  . but it worked better because the light was very moody . I think in this case will not be too successful . Somehow even few guys don't like the HDR background it works for me because I want that rough texture around the kid.
I am trying right now to mix the colors and the B&w  basically making the shadows sepia and retain the full colors on the image too.
Thanks again guys for your help

popnfresh

color or BW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:45:47 pm »

I definitely prefer the color version. The wonderful earthen colors add depth and a sense of place that's missing in the B&W version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up