Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error in You've got to be kidding - G10 vP45  (Read 2709 times)

hksludge2

Error in You've got to be kidding - G10 vP45
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:04 pm »

Hi guys,

I've found an error in the article on figure 3. That image is supposed to show the 13 megapixel image res at the same screen res as the p45. Ie, both at the same screen res. I though it was strange because the g10 image looked like it was way to big in comparison to the p45 image.

The article states: "The screen grab immediately above, taken from my 30" Cinemadisplay, is intended to show you how these files compare in Photoshop when imported at the same screen resolution. In other words, what you're seeing is 15MP vs 39MP translated into image size rather than resolution."

I have downloaded the jpgs on the site and have opened them both up in photoshop at the same display size. It does not match image displayed at figure 3 on the article; either the g10 image needs to go one step smaller, or the p45 image needs to go one step larger as they are not being shown at the same scaling.

I've also attached a screen shot of the correct scale using the downloaded jpgs. They are both 12.5%. You can see the value in the bottom hand corner of the image window. I'm on a mac, but it should be similiar to those familiar with the windows version of photoshop.

Anyway, I've had the g10 for 4 days - I bought it before the review came out, and I've also used a similiar setup to the p45 back on a few occasions for commercial shoots, but the imacon 39 megapixel version on a h3d instead of phase one. I'm really happy with this digicam so far.  Its my new travel camera. One annoyance is that there seems to be no ettl or ttl flash in manual mode, with the built in flash or with a speedlight. I hope this issue is raised on the full review.

-Josh

Serge Cashman

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:39 pm »

That mistake is what brought me back to this forum. This needs to be corrected in the article. I couldn't download and view the files at work but it seemed to me that the Hasselblad file should be about 60% bigger in each direction compared to the g10 file (and not 10% as was shown).

The proper way to compare those files is to look at 100% Hasselblad and 160% G10 side by side (or 100% G10 and around 66% H2). The fact that a home-office inkjet is not capable of reproducing the details does not mean much. Yes, inkjets are not capable of reproducing those details when printing this small. And obviously files would look similar when post-processed by the same person.

If you treat your home inkjet prints as fine-art prints then you can start using a G10 instead of a Hasselblad but then it would be much harder to convince people to pay for them as if they really were fine art prints.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:35:29 pm by Serge Cashman »

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:15 pm »

Quote from: hksludge2
...    One annoyance is that there seems to be no ettl or ttl flash in manual mode, with the built in flash or with a speedlight. I hope this issue is raised on the full review. ...

-Josh

Right -- all the Powershot G series have worked this way.  

Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:46:28 am »

Quote from: Serge Cashman
If you treat your home inkjet prints as fine-art prints then you can start using a G10 instead of a Hasselblad but then it would be much harder to convince people to pay for them as if they really were fine art prints.

You should get a memo on this out to the entire professional photographic world, as they are clearly labouring under a terrible cloud of misunderstanding....

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up