Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambo x2-pro any good?  (Read 16736 times)

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
cambo x2-pro any good?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:56 am »

Quote from: kendal
Rob, is there a Instruction Manual provided with the Cambo Ultima? Because I dont have much experience with large format cameras.

Kendal to tell you the truth I have had my Ultima for so long I don't remember what it came shipped with, but most likely it did have a manual of sorts. Not sure I kept it if it did, because by then I had years of experience with view cameras. I agree with Kumar's suggestion about acquiring some or all of the books to get at least a modicum of understanding about how a view camera works. And he is correct most of it will not make sense until you start fiddling with the thing. However in your case I am not so sure spending any money on a older used view camera and lens will make any sense for you, since you apparently are not going to use such a device to actually shoot large film.

If you need the advantage of a view camera for your business to implement things like larger DOF, then I would recommend you just jump in and purchase either the X2 or Ultima and not waste funds on something that will not help you later with your D3... just my two cents on that issue. I think you will be more than satisfied with either system once you get dialed in with using it. As Jim Golden said, if you don't need the rear view camera movements then the X2 is probably a no brainer. BTW, I think you can use at least a Mamiya back with the X2 as well, not sure about other back adaptors. As for using Hassy and Mamiya lenses one can obtain lens boards for either the Ultima or the X2 but they are much more expensive than the standard flat or recessed boards for Rodenstock or Schneider lenses.

And finally let me add that the fear of using a device like a view camera are far greater than the reality of actually implementing it. Once you use a precise instrument like the X2 or Ultima, DSLR lenses will seem kludgy by comparison at best. From my perspective it will give you the feel of making a photograph rather than slapping a camera on a tripod and taking a snap. And as others have said the system represents and enormous value compared to other possibilities.

Hope this helps

Rob

jimgolden

• http://
cambo x2-pro any good?
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:30 pm »

i should mention the one downfall of the X2 is using your 35mm viewfinder for rough framing, etc. I have a 2x right angle viewfinder for critical focus, but always tether and adjust as needed. certainly live view would change this, but I've never had a cam body with it...

there is a manual w/ the X2, but it's pretty rudimentary. the only thing that needs instruction is the lensplate mount. everything else is view camera basics
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:43:42 pm by jimgolden »

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
cambo x2-pro any good?
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 10:51:31 am »

Alternative to Cambo X2 for sale.

A Horseman wiht adapter for Nikon D2x/D2xs and D3. D200/D300 would be easy to make working on the adapter.

[attachment=9260:nikon_horseman.jpg]
Full size

Horseman for sale with "Nikon to Horseman" adapter, but without Nikon.
Lenses for sale: Rodenstock Sironar N 135/5,6 and Apo-Ronar 240/9 on DB.

I have used this setup a lot before I did get a PhaseOne back.

Easy to stitch 2 - 3 - 4 or up til 21 shots....se this shot. 21 shot with a D1x.

[attachment=9261:kwh_fitting.jpg]
Full size

Lens: Rodenstock Sironar N 135/5,6

Kind regards

Iversen
Denmark
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:57:51 am by mcrepsej »

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
cambo x2-pro any good?
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:29:48 am »

Hi,
have also a look at the Silvestri Flexicam,
I only use it with a P25, but you can also fit a DSLR I think.

Tom-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up