Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New NEC 2690WUXi2  (Read 8293 times)

walter.sk

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »

Whoops!  Wrong forum!  I meant it to be on the Color Management forum!

I am in the process of getting the NEC 2690.  Checking the NEC website I noticed a new variety of the monitor.  The 2690WUXi displays 93% of the aRGB color space, has a contrast ratio of 800:1 and brightness of 400cd/m2.  The upgraded monitor claims over 97% of aRGB, a lower brightness level (320cd/m2) which I assume is easier to tame, and a higher contrast range (1000:1).  The only place I saw a price for this monitor was at Provantage, where it is some $40 more than the older model.  Here's a link to the NEC website.

NEC 2690WUXi2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:29:39 pm by walter.sk »

netherscurial

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:55:20 am »

Gee, I just got the older model like 2 weeks ago. Will this new monitor be worth me returning the old one and getting it? I don't see on their site if it's a ips LCD or not, but I imagine it is.

Where did you see it on Provantage? I dont see it there.

walter.sk

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:15 pm »

Quote from: netherscurial
Gee, I just got the older model like 2 weeks ago. Will this new monitor be worth me returning the old one and getting it? I don't see on their site if it's a ips LCD or not, but I imagine it is.

Where did you see it on Provantage? I dont see it there.

I don't know if I would want to send it back and get a newer model.  But here is the link to Provantage.  You can also check it out on the NEC website under Desktop>Professional>Multisync90.

Provantage NEC

netherscurial

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:30:04 pm »

Question, will you have to use a new version of the SpectraView software to calibrate this new monitor or can you you use the most recent one?

walter.sk

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:27:50 pm »

Question, will you have to use a new version of the SpectraView software to calibrate this new monitor or can you you use the most recent one?

I saw the new monitor yesterday at PhotoPlus Expo in NYC, and spoke to the NEC staff there.  The monitor won't be available in the stores until December.  Yes, the current version of the SpectraView software will work fine with it, as will any of the colorimeters mentioned on the NEC website as being compatible with the current LCD 2690WUXi.

I also looked at other monitors, including Eizo and LaCie, and there is at least a $600 jump for the least expensive of them, in a 24" or 25" size.  I loved the smooth gradations of color on the NEC, and I could not discern uneven illumination from corner to corner.

The staff also said that the half life of the LCD's brightness is 5 years, with the monitor in use 24 hours a day for that time.  There is also a 4 year warranty on the monitor.  

I guess I'll have to get one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:28:44 pm by walter.sk »

netherscurial

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:20:17 pm »

THanks Walter for the headsup. I spoke with provantage through email and they said they expect stock of it in the first week of November. I think I may just return this old 2690 to Amazon as Im still within 30 days free return window.

Did they say that the new one is S-IPS lcd or not?

walter.sk

New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:55 am »

Did they say that the new one is S-IPS lcd or not?

I don't know what that means.  I assume it is the same panel as the previous 2690.  They did say that they had to cut the brightness in order to accommodate the greater gamut, but I am not up on the different panel types.  Would you be able to fill me in?  Unless it refers to LED vs florescent tubes for the backlighting.  This monitor uses the florescent tubes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:57:36 am by walter.sk »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New NEC 2690WUXi2
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:19:04 am »

LCD Panel Technology Explained:
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Not sure how old this is, but it gives a good overview.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up