Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 Upgrade advice  (Read 7043 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

CS4 Upgrade advice
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:33:14 pm »

Hi all. I just installed CS4 upgrade. The first thing I did was make a folder to copy all my CS3 plug ins to (I have a ton). , so I could then copy them to CS4 Plug In folder. Is there any reason I cannot uninstall Photoshop CS2 and CS3? Just taking up hard drive space. Thanks in nadvance.  
Dave G
www.modernpictorials.com

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:45:33 pm »

No reason to keep the old versions.
About the plug-ins, you may want to read this Adobe Tech Note before you move them to CS4.

"Important: Do not move plug-ins from previous versions of Photoshop, or third party plug-ins that have not been updated, into the Photoshop CS4 > Plug-Ins folder, or set the Photoshop CS3 (or earlier) > Plug-In folder as the Additional Plug-Ins Folder in Photoshop > Preferences. If you are running the 64-bit Edition of your operating system, all third party plug-ins must be updated for 64-bit operating systems before you install them into the 64-bit version of Photoshop. "

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404900

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:46:05 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Dave Gurtcheff

CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:40:39 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
About the plug-ins, you may want to read this Adobe Tech Note before you move them to CS4.

"Important: Do not move plug-ins from previous versions of Photoshop, or third party plug-ins that have not been updated, into the Photoshop CS4 > Plug-Ins folder, or set the Photoshop CS3 (or earlier) > Plug-In folder as the Additional Plug-Ins Folder in Photoshop > Preferences. If you are running the 64-bit Edition of your operating system, all third party plug-ins must be updated for 64-bit operating systems before you install them into the 64-bit version of Photoshop. "

Jerry
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. I won't delete CS3 until I check to see that my plug ins work in CS4.
Dave

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:20 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. I won't delete CS3 until I check to see that my plug ins work in CS4.
Dave

Running Windows XP, I just ignorantly copied every plug-in from its CS3 folder to the similarly named CS4 folder.  Everything seems to work OK.  
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Dave Gurtcheff

CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »

Quote from: gordonsbuck
Running Windows XP, I just ignorantly copied every plug-in from its CS3 folder to the similarly named CS4 folder.  Everything seems to work OK.
Gordon: That's what I had done.   I checked 3 or 4 plug ins in CS4 and they seemed to work OK, but I have not tried everyone of them yet.
Good luck
Dave

Geoff Wittig

CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 06:09:54 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock

Jerry

CS4's installation routine actually installs both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Photoshop on your computer, and you can access either one. So if an especially prized plug-in only works with the 32 bit form, it's still available to you. On the other hand, huge stitched files certainly process far faster at 64 bit with plenty of ram.

NigelC

CS4 Upgrade advice
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:29:02 am »

Quote from: gordonsbuck

BTW how quickly does CS4 run in XP, compared to CS2, for the sme specification of PC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up