Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedo Lights vs Arri's? (150 fresnel spots)  (Read 7866 times)

lightstand

Dedo Lights vs Arri's? (150 fresnel spots)
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »

I've always wanted someone of great experience to explain the advantages to the Dedo Lights. I have used Dedos and they are very nice to work with however I've only ever been able to afford Arri's also a very nice light. Can someone explain why the Dedo's are $700 while the Arri's are $250? Thanks Jeff

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:00:17 am »

Quote from: lightstand
I've always wanted someone of great experience to explain the advantages to the Dedo Lights. I have used Dedos and they are very nice to work with however I've only ever been able to afford Arri's also a very nice light. Can someone explain why the Dedo's are $700 while the Arri's are $250? Thanks Jeff

Jeff the Dedo lights have a different lens system which allows (at least they claim, I haven't measured) more even light distribution and more concentrated light when spotted in (smaller coverage, more intensity) than fresnel lights.  The one's I've used have also come with a dimmer built into the power cord.  Are they worth an extra $450?  Maybe if you really need the focusing range of the Dedo and the dimmer is handy. Only you can make the call.

Oh, you really asked why...because they can?
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

lightstand

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:39:32 am »

Thanks Bruce, I guess I always thought I was missing a key element. Yes the internal dimmers are very nice. jeff

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:49:59 am »

Thanks Bruce, I guess I always thought I was missing a key element. Yes the internal dimmers are very nice. jeff

Maybe you should post your question over at the medium format section, lots of still lifers and some car photographers over there. Some know the difference by heart...and will give you a answer
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:50:52 am by heinrichvoelkel »

lightstand

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:13:22 pm »

Quote from: heinrichvoelkel
Maybe you should post your question over at the medium format section...

Thanks for your suggestion.  I guess I always like the different categories to help search & review without bloating one section although asking a lighting question on a landscape forum is probably not in the best interest to the participants. Know of any quality forums dedicated to lighting for photography?

thanks jeff

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion.  I guess I always like the different categories to help search & review without bloating one section although asking a lighting question on a landscape forum is probably not in the best interest to the participants. Know of any quality forums dedicated to lighting for photography?

thanks jeff

Since the Dedo is really a movie light, you might try posting in a cinematography forum such as cinematography.com where people use them much more than still photographers.

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up