Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus 1.1 Released  (Read 6708 times)

Nick-T

Phocus 1.1 Released
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:33:37 pm »

Phocus 1.1  (Mac) is now available from the Hasselblad website with:

New Image Rotation tools
New Overlay tool
New custom white calibration tool
Outstanding Image Quality with new improved moiré detection
New Viewer option
Performance improvements

It's a step up from V1 and worth a look IMO.

Nick-T
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:52:11 pm by Nick-T »
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »

Thanks Nick you beat me to it!

Readme....

Phocus 1.1 - read me

New features since V 1.0.1

Rotation

Controls for adjusting image rotation has been added to the crop tool. These include buttons for changing rotation in 90° steps and a Straighten slider that allows you  to correct image alignment by +/- 20°. There's also a Straighten picker tool - with this tool selected you can draw a line in the image along a part that is supposed to be either vertical or horizontal and the straighten value will be set accordingly. Finally it's also possible to freehand rotate the image in the viewer when in crop mode - to do this you need to click and drag outside the crop while holding down the alt button.

Cropped view

Unless the crop tool is selected the viewer will now only display the cropped part of the image. Likewise only the cropped image will be used as thumbnail when the Show Crop option is selected.

Custom white correction

This feature allows you to correct for things like cast issues when using tilt and shift. User interface for this has been added to the lens correction tool. The procedure is as follows:

1) Make a calibration image of a neutral gray surface - the best results are obtained by using an opaque filter. The capture can be made either tethered or untethered.

2) The calibration image needs to be available as a 3F file so if it was captured untethered you will need to import it.

3) Load an image where you'd like to apply the correction

4) Select the thumbnail of the calibration image and click the Create button found in the Lens Correction tool

5) You will be prompted for a name of the correction - it's a good idea to use it to describe things like the lens and aperture used.

6) You have now created a custom white correction - to see it's effect on the currently loaded image check the Custom white checkbox.

7) To apply the custom white correction you can follow the same methods as when applying any other adjustment to a range of images using either the Modify dialog or the Modify Lens Corrections of Selected Files option in the Lens tool preset menu.

8) If this correction is one that you might want to save for future use you can simply create a Lens Adjustment preset with the correction active.

Overlay

Next to the grid button you will now find a button that turns on display of an overlay image. The image can be selected by dragging in a JPEG, TIFF or PNG file. If you open the overlay options palette by either right clicking the button or selecting Overlay options from the View menu you can determine opacity and scale. The image can be dragged by clicking and dragging while holding down the alt button provided the crop tool is not active.

Moiré removal

The algorithm has been improved - this should lead to more precise detection and fewer artifacts.

Performance improvements

The speed of browsing, zooming, dragging and comparing images has been improved.

Hand tool

This tool simply lets you drag the image around.

Firmware Update

This function located in the File menu allows you to manually update a connected Hasselblad product when future firmware updates become available for download from our web site.

Miscellaneous

You can now option-click the approval level filter buttons in the thumbnail options view to select only the clicked color.

With the thumbnail view active the cmd-0 Fit to Size shortcut will now resize the thumbnails so that a single image fits within the view.

It's now possible to expand/collapse a folder in the browser by double clicking.

A thumbnails only layout option has been added - the short cut is alt-cmd-4.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

hvk

• http://www.vonklopp.se
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »

Does this release support Vista, or is it Mac only?

/Henrik
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:23:03 pm by hvk »

Nick-T

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:53:08 pm »

Quote from: hvk
Does this release support Vista, or is it Mac only?

/Henrik

I edited my post, this is the MAC release, I expect we'll see the PC release in a couple of weeks.

Nick-T

froesner

• http://images.luiroq.com
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 05:03:58 pm »

Nick and David,

please do not take it personal. I greatly appreciate the new features in Phocus 1.1
But where is the new firmware / speed bumb wich has been promised to me since
ONE YEAR and is still part of Hasselblads full page advertising?????

Frank

stewarthemley

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:37 pm »

David/Nick

Quick question: how do I rotate an image in Ph1.1? I can't see the buttons described in the manual (I read it, honest) connected with the crop tool. Many thanks in advance.

Nick-T

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:02 pm »

Quote from: stewarthemley
David/Nick

Quick question: how do I rotate an image in Ph1.1? I can't see the buttons described in the manual (I read it, honest) connected with the crop tool. Many thanks in advance.
Hi Stewart
Bottom right of the crop tool in the adjust (I think) tab (not the viewer window) are two circular arrows and an "R" to show orientation.
Nick-T

stewarthemley

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:24:27 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
Hi Stewart
Bottom right of the crop tool in the adjust (I think) tab (not the viewer window) are two circular arrows and an "R" to show orientation.
Nick-T

Got it. Thanks Nick. Brilliant service!

glennedens

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:51:03 pm »

I have been working with Phocus 1.1 this morning and I just wanted to share my first impressions:

The performance is noticeably better, adjustments are now real-time, scrolling and zooming are faster and the program starts up faster (using a folder with 1,300 images it now displays the first image in about half the time).  Color looks better but that might be subjective.  Did sharpening get better?  It seems to be more refined.  The straighten tool seems to work well.  So far so good.

My 2 cents on the most critical features would be: ISO speed bump and the equivalent of Aperture's Recovery, Highlight and Shadow adjustments as well as a spot/patch tool for dust removal.  Just these four things!

One new issue i did not notice before is that when an image is zoomed (with the zoom tool) the cursor leaves a nasty black trail on the image when you move it. it does get refreshed but it is kind of disturbing.  The color temperature adjustments seem a little rough compared to Aperture or Lightroom, not sure how to describe this but the temperature and tint adjustments do not seem to have the fine adjustment that the other programs do in their 2.0 releases.

All in all congratulations on a stable release (knock on wood  so far!

Glenn

hubell

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 06:09:19 pm »

Quote from: glennedens
I have been working with Phocus 1.1 this morning and I just wanted to share my first impressions:

My 2 cents on the most critical features would be: ISO speed bump and the equivalent of Aperture's Recovery, Highlight and Shadow adjustments as well as a spot/patch tool for dust removal.  Just these four things!

Glenn

Are the features you mention above actually in 1.1 or what you feel are the most critical to include in the  future?
Thanks.

Nick-T

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:29 pm »

Quote from: hcubell
Are the features you mention above actually in 1.1 or what you feel are the most critical to include in the  future?
Thanks.

They are not in 1.1  

Mr Grover could they be added to a 1.2 wishlist?

Nick-T

• Capture One
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:12:53 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
They are not in 1.1  

Mr Grover could they be added to a 1.2 wishlist?

Nick-T

Yes!

David Grover

glennedens

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:17:42 pm »

These features are my personal request for what is most important (to me)   YMMV  They are not in 1.1.

Glenn

Quote from: hcubell
Thanks.

glennedens

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 06:29:44 pm »

I will refine the list a bit and drop the request for an equivalent to Aperture's Recovery tool, so for me, it is just the following items:

1.  Spot and patch tool for dust removal, this would have the biggest impact on workflow efficiency.

2.  An equivalent to Aperture's Highlight and Shadow adjustment tools.  They are so much easier than trying to work with Levels and Curves.  Just to clarify, in Aperture the Highlight tool darkens highlights and the Shadow tool lightens shadows (like Lightroom's "Fill Light" adjustment).  These tools can be very refined and subtle, or you can wreck your image quickly.

3.  ISO 800 speed bump (although I am wondering if this is a firmware change to the back or just post-processing?).

I am sure everyone else's list might be different; prioritizing a big software project is never simple.

Glenn

joern_kiel

Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:59:35 am »

Great performance update. The rotation and WB tools are great, too.
What i miss / like to see:

- a small window inside the viewer with a location/navigation frame.
- a vertical scroll bar for the tools palette
- light/shadow recovery slider
- white balance auto setting
- adjustable shortcuts
- single saturation/vibrance slider for every picked color
- input/output values for the gradation tool
- the promised iso 800 update !!!
- the promised 1 min exposure - longer times are also welcome !!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:54:23 pm by joern_kiel »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 03:42:15 am »

I totally support these wishes. The 'fill light' slider would be very welcome. As would the ISO800 and the exposure bump, 64 sec's is nice but I would not be complaining if it ended up being 10 to 15 minutes.

Also include the ability to include running PS actions with exporting.

• Capture One
Phocus 1.1 Released
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 04:51:50 am »

Quote from: joern_kiel
Great performance update. The rotation and WB tools are great, too.
What i miss / like to see:

- a small window inside the viewer with a location/navigation frame.
- a vertical scroll bar for the tools palette
- light/shadow recovery slider
- white balance auto setting
- adjustable shortcuts
- input/output values for the gradation tool
- the promised iso 800 update !!!
- the promised 1 min exposure - longer times are also welcome !!!

Hi Joern,

Thanks for the input and glad you are enjoying the performance.

With regards to this comments...

This can be achieved on the HSL sliders in the Color Correction tool.  The Vibrancy slider is not applicable to a single select color as the tool is designed to work over the whole spectrum.

Best,

David
David Grover
Pages: [1]   Go Up