Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depth of Field with Medium Format vs Nikon D3 - I need advice  (Read 7375 times)

Plekto

Depth of Field with Medium Format vs Nikon D3 - I need advice
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

6x6 80mm F2.8:

Subject distance      1000 ft
Depth of field
Near limit     141.6 ft
Far limit     Infinity
Total     Infinite

Subject distance      165 ft
Depth of field
Near limit     82.6 ft
Far limit     Infinity
Total     Infinite
(lowest distance where the far limit is infinite)

Nikon D3 85mm F2.8:

Subject distance      1000 ft
Depth of field
Near limit     218.4 ft
Far limit     Infinity
Total     Infinite

Looks better here.

Subject distance      275 ft
 Depth of field
Near limit     138.6 ft
Far limit     Infinity
Total     Infinite

But not as good here.

Are you looking for the first type of maximum depth of field(largest long-range DOF) or largest short-range DOF/closest range where you obtain maximum DOF?

joern_kiel

gss

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 04:48:55 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
Considering the minimum focusing distance for Nikkor 85mm I am assuming that your subject is not very small in size. Why don't you opt for normal/wide lens and increase the depth of field this way. If I remember correctly Schneider 40mm renders everything in  perfect focus from 40cm to infinity at F16. BTW I do not know much about product photography.
Andre

The minimum focus distance of the 85 PC is 1.3 feet, where it is 1:2.  I don't imagine that the burger will need to be encroaching too much on this distance.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:10:55 pm by gss »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:31 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Another higher-hassle approach would be to shoot two frames of each setup -- a front focus area, and then a back focus area, and then strip them together, but trust me, it sounds easy, but it's not. Very time consuming, but sometimes, it's just necessary.
I know Helicon has already ben suggested, but CS4 can also do this. I recently demoed this feature using a product shot of 4 overlapping vials at varying distances, with 4 shots with camera focusing on each vial in turn. Open the images into a single PSD file using Bridge and then Blend. Works very well.

The aspect of lenses slightly changing focal length whilst focusing is called breathing and is why stills lenses on the new DSLRs that can do video,  will not be as good for follow focusing as movie lenses which have this corrected out. Though when doing close up work, this should be less of an issue.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up