Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown highlights on Imac display  (Read 3460 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Blown highlights on Imac display
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:47:23 pm »

Hello, This is the first time I've posted here, I usually lurk around the MFDB and occasionally the Aperture forums. I have a 2.8ghz imac running 10.5.5 with the largest screen size and shiny screen. I've calibrated it with a reasonably inexpensive gretag calibrator (very similar to the pantone huey) and am pleased with the neutrality of images in general. However, I am struggling to see decent highlight information regardless of what profile I use or with brightness at it's lowest setting. Simple question to you all: Can this be improved upon? Strangely enough, lets say I'm in photoshop and I go to open a file shot against a white background in studio. In the preview I can see that my white is dirty, or carrying say a blue cast. When the file opens up in PS though, the highlight info is pretty much blown out and unless I checked it with the dropper tool, I'd be fooled in to thinking it was a pure white. Same principle goes in Aperture so I know it's not a PS thing. Help please!!!

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:57:03 am »

Quote from: buzzski
Hello, This is the first time I've posted here, I usually lurk around the MFDB and occasionally the Aperture forums. I have a 2.8ghz imac running 10.5.5 with the largest screen size and shiny screen. I've calibrated it with a reasonably inexpensive gretag calibrator (very similar to the pantone huey) and am pleased with the neutrality of images in general. However, I am struggling to see decent highlight information regardless of what profile I use or with brightness at it's lowest setting. Simple question to you all: Can this be improved upon? Strangely enough, lets say I'm in photoshop and I go to open a file shot against a white background in studio. In the preview I can see that my white is dirty, or carrying say a blue cast. When the file opens up in PS though, the highlight info is pretty much blown out and unless I checked it with the dropper tool, I'd be fooled in to thinking it was a pure white. Same principle goes in Aperture so I know it's not a PS thing. Help please!!!
Search the forum, this issue (or similar) has been discussed in many threads.
Here's some pointers for you:
     iMac too bright
     iMac 24" w/ EyeOne D2, Calibration help
     Profiling a new iMac 24" Display with i1 Display2

HTH,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:00:31 am by francois »
Francois

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:11:43 pm »

Thanks for that - ScreenShade rocks!