Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with Spyder3 calibration for NEC monitor!!  (Read 3897 times)

Jane Fritz

help with Spyder3 calibration for NEC monitor!!
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »

I have an NEC 2490WUXI LCD monitor that I calibrate with the Spyder3 Elite. I am very new to calibration in general, but I think that I have a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals.

My question is basically this. Do i set the luminance level to 120 using the controls on the monitor BEFORE running the calibration software and creating a profile, or is this something that calibrating the monitor is supposed to set for me? I know that my monitor should be set to factory default settings before calibration, and that I should choose a white balance of 6500 and gamma of 2.2 in the Spyder menu, but the luminance issue really confuses me. I am unsure of how I am supposed to do this in conjunction with the calibration process. What I do know is that my monitor is currently too bright judging from my prints, even after calibration, so I must have missed a step.

Can someone please advise me as to how and when to properly set the luminance?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »

This may or may not be some use. With Spyder 2 I set the gamma to 2.2 and always have the white point set to "native" and luminance set to "measured" and then run the device. This gives me an initial profile and base point. Then I run it again and enter the max luminance value I want and the program will ask you to lower the brightness (backlighting) on the on screen display until it reaches the value you want. Often it has to come down close to zero. This is the profile I now use. Later I might run it again to set a min value, to see if that makes a difference. So far it hasn't. Cheers, David

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:35 pm »

With the Spyder3 Elite, you can set both the black and white luminance levels to "measured", allowing you to adjust the monitor values during the calibration process to what the colorimeter measures as a correct value for the current viewing environment.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up