Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Keep Print Heads On-hand?  (Read 3405 times)

picman

Z3100 Keep Print Heads On-hand?
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:52:45 pm »

My year old Z3100 stopped suddenly and requested "Replace LM/LC print head" After cleaning the contacts and reseating the head, the error cleared.

If the error hadn't cleared the printer would have been down for a couple of days waiting for a replacement head. Is it reasonable to keep heads on-hand? Do they have a shelf life like ink?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »

Quote from: picman
My year old Z3100 stopped suddenly and requested "Replace LM/LC print head" After cleaning the contacts and reseating the head, the error cleared.

If the error hadn't cleared the printer would have been down for a couple of days waiting for a replacement head. Is it reasonable to keep heads on-hand? Do they have a shelf life like ink?

I guess if you have a real time-critical business dependent upon your printer you might want to keep spare print heads on hand, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. I had to replace one print head the first week with the new printer after I stupidly chose the wrong preset and had a bad head crash into a thick fine art paper. Since then I've been motoring along with my original set of heads, and it's now nearly 18 months out with no sign of trouble. I think HP will overnight you a printhead if you're willing to pay extra.

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:56 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I've been motoring along with my original set of heads, and it's now nearly 18 months out with no sign of trouble.

Geoff, I assume some of your heads are now out of warranty so no concerns? I have 2 heads now saying out of warranty but can't see any difference! How do we know when it's time?

Evo

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »

Quote from: EvoM
Geoff, I assume some of your heads are now out of warranty so no concerns? I have 2 heads now saying out of warranty but can't see any difference! How do we know when it's time?

Evo

Same here; several heads are officially out of warranty, but print quality is as good as ever.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:35:29 pm »

All but one of my print heads are out of warranty and I see no reason to replace them yet.
Regards,
Ron

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »

Quote from: EvoM

Evo

Is there a way to determine how many clogged nozzles have been remapped to spares?  I believe this is what determines the life of the head ... at some point all the spare nozzles of one color are used, so no way to compensate for more clogged nozzles.

If you can't be down for a day or two, you would have to keep one on hand, because I think what will happen is it will suddenly tell you to replace the head, and until you do you may not be able to print.  But being out of a warranty period would certainly not be an indication of needing replaced.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:10:09 pm »

Yes you can run a diagnostic on the number of clogged or partially clogged (reduced output) nozzles.

It is very rare that a print head fails suddenly. They usually die off over a period , especially if left idle or if the printer is off.

I wouldn't keep a stock of printheads as they will more likely than not be out of date when they are needed.

IF you do I'd keep a GE/ ? and a MK on hand. PErhaps the red one too as they are the most likely to die, but not likely before many litres of ink have passed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up