Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D MKII>>> computer choice?  (Read 7601 times)

amoergosum

5D MKII>>> computer choice?
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:55 pm »

I need your help guys.
I plan to purchase the 5D MKII and a new computer.
What would you recommend? Since I want to be able to edit videos,too, it would
have to be a powerful system.
best,
Ben

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:59:03 pm »

Can't say for sure.  Are you looking Mac or PC?

If PC look to Vista 64, oodles of memory (16gb) and look for fast drives like the newer WD raptors.

amoergosum

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:08:27 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
If PC look to Vista 64, oodles of memory (16gb) and look for fast drives like the newer WD raptors.

I'm still undecided whether to go for a mac or a pc.

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:11:28 pm »

WOAH! thats a bit much. 16gb memory is definitely not necessary. It would be awesome to have, but I'm pretty sure that 8 or 12 would be a huge amount still! a 64 based dual or quad core should seem pretty standard, and fast drives are nice. Also you are going to want to buy a video card for the comptuer, something like 512Mb DX10+. The GPU doesn't have to cost $500, but it should be decent.

The time when you need all that memory is when you have movies rendering (or when running lightroom... what a hog that thing is!).... so yeah lots of ram is nice, but seriously, 16gb seems like overkill. why so much?

if you have money to spare, just get the most current (and ridiculous) power mac. the dual quad core with the upgrade graphics card and say 12gb ram, for fun. plus you can run leopard, linux (whatever distro) and windows

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:34:07 pm »

Memory is cheap and Vista 64 eats it.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »

Memory is cheap and Vista 64 eats it.

8GB seems to be the sweet spot right now. By browsing and playing as much as possible with all my picture collections I got Lightroom 64 to allocate up to 1.1 GB fairly quickly but never got it to go higher (My lib consists mostly of Canon 5D RAW files). With a relatively cheap QX9550, and a recent 750GB drive with a 32MB buffer, the system feels almost instantaneous 99% of the time, and that is with continous a-v scanning.

BTW, I have to grudgingly admit that Vista is a very decent OS on a that config...

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:28:06 pm »

Quote from: amoergosum
I need your help guys.
best,
Ben

Every time I upgrade to a new computer I once again toy with the idea of jumping to the Mac side. Then I price equivalent configurations, and promptly lay down the plastic for another PC. Currently you can pick up a quad processor PC with 8 gig of ram, 750 gig+ hard disc and a good video card for barely over $1,000 U.S.; the equivalent Mac system is (as always) about twice the cost, with at least as much disparity in the cost of accessories.

The View

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:23 pm »

Quote from: amoergosum
I need your help guys.
best,
Ben

Mac Pro with as much memory as possible (don't buy it from Apple, buy quality memory from crucial.com, where it costs a fraction). If you really have a lot of memory, you can assign part of it for use like a scratch disc, and it is very fast.

Don't get the video card the Mac Pro comes with. It's usually a rather basic card.

Check macrumors.com for upgrades, so you don't buy a new machine just before an upgrade (which is due to come soon, as far as I know).

You said you want to edit digital video. Have you decided which system to use, and on which level (Final Cut Pro or Avid, or iMovie ?).

Depending on your budget, if you buy a quality machine like a Mac Pro you pay more, but Mac Pros usually stay in business quite long and are dependable. Good: all parts are designed to play well with each other, that's important if you do both still and video editing.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

AGphoto

• http://agphotography.com.au
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »

hi, ... im also upgrading my computer, and going to get the 5Dmk2
im, upgrading to 8 gigs, Asus P5Q-E P45 M/B, an intel CORE 2QUAD Q9400/2.66ghz, with a XFX PCle 2.0 9800GT graphics card....
the motherboard can be upgraded up to 16gigs max, if i find that 8 gigs isnt enouth.... and at Aus$164.00 for 4 gigs, its cheep...

Adrian Gonzalez
A.G. Post Productions
www.agphotography.com.au

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:30 pm »

You're asking the wrong question Ben.
You need to decide what editing package you are going to use before even thinking of whether Mac or PC is the way to go. Now if you want to use Final Cut, you have to use a Mac, if using Avid or Premiere Mac or PC will be fine. If using Vegas then you need a PC.
Both Premiere and Avid are a somewhat clumsy in usage and Final Cut really pulled the rug from underneath Avid's editing domination by producing a much more elegant + easier editing package, but still very powerful. However Vegas is even easier easy to use and very powerful too. It also has the best sound facilities of any editor. Vegas was originally designed by a sound company, Sonic Foundry, which also produced the excellent Acid and Sound Forge before Sony bought them all up. Sound is extremely important to the filmmaking processs and the easiest way to make something look cheap and nasty is to get the sound wrong. Good sound and iffy picture is fine, that's stylish. Crappy sound and beautiful picture is always shite and why dubbed films are so awful.
In addition there's Final Cut Express and cheaper versions of Premier and Vegas to play with, plus there's Pinnacle [now owned by Avid I think], another PC programme which some people really like.
Do not be seduced by all the fancy transitons and such like, 99% of editing is straight cuts and dissolves. So ease of getting clips onto timeline and subsequent tweaking of length with them is the most important aspect. With Final Cut Pro you can drag different video types [DV, HDV, HD..] onto timeline without having to convert them all first to the project's settings.

I gave a producer a trial copy of Vegas to play with as he was a experienced Premiere user. He tried Vegas out and said it took him half the time to edit the test project in in Vegas and that included installing and learning the software!

The other thing to bear in mind, editing is an very skilful job and learning how to use software is 2% of learning how to edit. You can make great movies with iMovie or the windows equivalent whose name I completely forget, if you know how to tell a story. If you don't, the editing software or the computer is irrelevent.
Walter Murch has written a couple of books that are worth reading. He's quite good at splicing!  

I forsee a lot of high quality rubbish appearing as a result of the 5D as lots of photographers suddenly think they are filmmakers.
Especially those used to doing it all themselves. There's a reason for having a lot of people on film sets. The ones who already work with a crew will cope best.
We will see the odd gem, but just like everyone with a digital camera suddenly thinks they are a photographer.....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:25:55 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 10:21:26 pm »

Quote from: The View
Depending on your budget, if you buy a quality machine like a Mac Pro you pay more, but Mac Pros usually stay in business quite long and are dependable. Good: all parts are designed to play well with each other, that's important if you do both still and video editing.
Not always true, my Mac Pro is dreadfully unreliable and the Apple store only made the problems worse.

Configuring any machine to play nicely when doing video can be a pain with a PC or a Mac. Video tends to show up any issues and often you get a graphics card that is video specific and can cost a fortune too. Some are designed to work with specific programmes, Matrox make cards to work with Premiere or Final Cut for example and a card from someone like this is probably better than an ATI/nVidia card optimised for playing World of Warcraft.
Fast hard drives used only for scratch discs are also a very good idea.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:22:02 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

The View

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:14 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Not always true, my Mac Pro is dreadfully unreliable and the Apple store only made the problems worse.

Configuring any machine to play nicely when doing video can be a pain with a PC or a Mac. Video tends to show up any issues and often you get a graphics card that is video specific and can cost a fortune too. Some are designed to work with specific programmes, Matrox make cards to work with Premiere or Final Cut for example and a card from someone like this is probably better than an ATI/nVidia card optimised for playing World of Warcraft.
Fast hard drives used only for scratch discs are also a very good idea.

Sorry to hear you had repair trouble. Yes, that can be a bummer.

Other than that, you are the first and only person that complained about the reliability of the Mac Pro

To me it seems to be more the problem of the repair facility. They messed up, which stresses your patience with an otherwise great product.

My tip: find a more able repair person. JJJ... that's short for a town in Scotland, if I remember an Ian Rankin novel well.

So I hope you have a different repair facility in your area that can actually do the job.  Take advantage of the fact, that Apple really wants to fix every computer with a problem. Just go somewhere else, tell them about your frustration with the first repair, and that should do it. Just get a passionate mac man to take care of your mac pro.

Regarding video cards, I never heard that you needed different cards for stills and video. A good card should do both equally well. For work in 3D there are specialized cards. And those gamers have their cards on their own: faster, but not so good for quality work. So the key would be to get a non-gamer card. (but those gamer cards are pretty much a PC phenomenon).

The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up