Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod head recommendations  (Read 17388 times)

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
Tripod head recommendations
« on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:50 am »

I'm looking for any advice on tripods and heads that anyone can offer up. I use a Phamiya with P30+ if that matters. In the past, I've always worked with ball heads with my 35mm gear. Currently, I have a fairly brand new Gitzo off-center ballhead. It's a beautiful head, but I despise the way the locking knob works. You have to screw and unscrew it about 4-5 revolutions to go from loose to locked; and if you don't get that knob extra tight, the camera will flap down at the most inopportune time. The knob just starts to wear on your fingers when you're shooting 200 shots at a location. I had a prior Bogen ballhead (smaller, and it would slack after locking) that would lock with just a quarter-turn knob.

I don't have anything against a ball head, they are super easy. Sometimes it's cumbersome to hold the camera precisely while you try to lock it down with the other hand. Fine adjustments can also be problematic, at least with the Gitzo, unless the knob is full open, ball movement is very sticky. A 3-way head would probably solve the handling with weight issue, as you don't have to hold the camera itself. But I haven't used a 3-way in a long time.

Is something like an RRS ball head that much different or better than a Gitzo? I do want to get into pano work in the future, if that matters at all. I know that RRS promotes using a ball head with their pano rails, either that or a leveling tripod. But those leveling tripods are pricey.

Thoughts much appreciated.
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:35 am »

I would never use any ball heads but RRS.  Have both the 50 and 40 and use both with my H2 and Phase Back.  Used to use the Arca Swiss but stopped when it locked frozen in snowy weather.  Never had the RRS heads lock up on me.  they always work perfectly. Always use the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods too.  Eleanor

Quote from: jmvdigital
I'm looking for any advice on tripods and heads that anyone can offer up. I use a Phamiya with P30+ if that matters. In the past, I've always worked with ball heads with my 35mm gear. Currently, I have a fairly brand new Gitzo off-center ballhead. It's a beautiful head, but I despise the way the locking knob works. You have to screw and unscrew it about 4-5 revolutions to go from loose to locked; and if you don't get that knob extra tight, the camera will flap down at the most inopportune time. The knob just starts to wear on your fingers when you're shooting 200 shots at a location. I had a prior Bogen ballhead (smaller, and it would slack after locking) that would lock with just a quarter-turn knob.

I don't have anything against a ball head, they are super easy. Sometimes it's cumbersome to hold the camera precisely while you try to lock it down with the other hand. Fine adjustments can also be problematic, at least with the Gitzo, unless the knob is full open, ball movement is very sticky. A 3-way head would probably solve the handling with weight issue, as you don't have to hold the camera itself. But I haven't used a 3-way in a long time.

Is something like an RRS ball head that much different or better than a Gitzo? I do want to get into pano work in the future, if that matters at all. I know that RRS promotes using a ball head with their pano rails, either that or a leveling tripod. But those leveling tripods are pricey.

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:38:34 am »

Hi Justin,

I use a RRS BH-55 and I love the knob configuration. The locking knob is large and reliable. Drag is consistent. Each knob is sufficiently different so that I can tell them apart without looking. I will say that the ball movement is not as smooth as the Arca-Swiss ball, but the trade-offs are good for me.

BTW: I'm shooting a Mamiya AFD II w/ Phase P25+ and lenses from 35mm to 210mm, nothing big, but I'm not getting anywhere near the limits of the head. My legs are the Gitzo GT3541XLS and I have never been so pleased with a set of tripod legs.

HTH,

Dale
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:40:05 am by DFAllyn »

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:21 am »

Quote from: jmvdigital

I use a Markins M10 with my 1DS2 & 70-200 lens, rock solid and smooth as silk. For precision work ( architecture ) I use a Manfrotto gear head.

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:40 am »

I am using a Really Right Stuff BH-55  with a Gitzo series 5
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:06:16 pm by erick.boileau »

Snook

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:53:39 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
I am using I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55  with a Gitzo series 5
Ditto here...
Also with a AFDII and P30..
Had a Gitzo before which I also loved but had it for 12 years and felt like changing.
No complaints on the RRS..
very nice.
I do find the black finish easy to mark up but very nice.

I have the one with realease plate that you have to screw on the plate not the quick release lever style one..

I also use it with my RZIIPro D with no problems either and that is a heavy set up. :+}

Snook

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:13:41 pm »

I too use the Gitzo off centre ball head - it's been out of action for months while I waited on Gitzo honouring me with a spare part under warranty which they have but it takes at least six weeks for the part to come from Italy to the UK. I ordered something off ebay last week from the far east and I had it within six days... Anyway, I was real impressed with a Foba ball & socket head which I used with my Blad / leaf setup. It was a bit heavy for my Gitzo legs though so I use it in the studio now on a stand. I think the smaller version they do with a quick release head would be pretty decent for MF on location
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:14:19 pm by buzzski »

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:37:07 pm »

arca c1

expensive yes, but once you use it you forget about the cost. had mine for 3 years now and am as happy as the day i got it, never once regretted the money spent.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:29 pm »

Well i was a died in the wool RRS ballhead fan ,actually had all three. Recently though I found the Gitzo GH2780 Center Ballhead http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5624..._Ballhead_.html

Now i was never a fan of Gitzo heads the legs no question but what i like about this new head with my Phase P25 plus is that it has stronger friction going east and west but you can go north and south much easier (up and Down) . So you can have the head loose enough to tilt up and down but the side to side motion is much more friction . So when you get a horizontal you don't lose it using a tilt up and down. One other important feature is if you let go the head will not flop over with your camera. Need to try this head it is pretty cool on how it works. I bought the screw thread because than i put a RRS pano clamp on top of that . What I did not like about the Gitzo head is with some Arca plates you had to add adapters to get it to work correctly so one reason i went with the Pano clamp  http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.a...amp;eq=&Tp=

Now the other nice thing on the Pano clamp it is very smooth to rotate plus by adding a rail I can also do Pano's. i used this on a fashion shoot and it was a joy to work really fast with this without worrying about the head flopping over when I walked away. If it does flop it is forward or backward at it is a short travel so no damage.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:50 pm »

I love my Burszynski head. Expensive but absolutely the most solid thing you can think of. It allows you to only open up slightly and being able to readjust. About half a turn will completely fasten the system again. The head itself is round so a RRS panohead fits nicely on top of it. The bottom of the head falls nicely in the 75mm bowl of most tripods so the whole contraption stays pretty close to the legs.

I use it with Nikon (up to 300, If I have longer I would use it) and Hasselblad with any lens combination.

I hated the older gitzo's with their rotten fastenings. I love the new ones with the new and improved fastening. I have the XLS version which goes to about 7ft without center colom!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:25:50 pm by Dustbak »

glennedens

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:51 am »

Here is what i am currently using:

Head: Arca Swiss Z1 ball head, i agree with Eleanor that the other Arca's have problems but i have been in 14 degree snowy weather with the Z1 and no problems.  It is a big improvment.  The RRS heads are also great but i have come to really love the Z1.  The Z1 will handle 122 pounds of payload, off center.

Tripod: Gitzo 5540LS 6X carbon fiber with lens coat padded leg covers (they sell a set specifically for the 5540LS).  I do a lot of hiking with it on my shoulder and the padded leg covers are useful.

I also ordered the Gitzo series-5 flat plate (in black) to mount the Z1 ball head with.

For the camera mounting I picked the Kirk L-bracket for the H1/H2/H3 body (at the time RRS did not offer one, not sure if they do now).  It mates solidly with the Z1 and the Kirk bracket connects to the H-series body with 2 screws at two different points, but the bracket is irrelevant to your Phase-Mamiya set up

This setup easily handles the H3DII39 with the ungainly and heavy HC 50-110 zoom lens as well as the HC 300mm.

The Gitzo has taken a beating since i often use it as a walking stick and it looks almost like new.  The tripod and head are lightweight considering the carrying capacity and stability.  The damping of thumps is fast at less than a few seconds.

You already have some great recomendations, hope this additional info is helpful.

Glenn

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

For easy precise alignment and fine adjustments, at very reasonable cost, have a look at the Manfrotto 410.

Nill

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 11:24:11 am »

I currently use a RRS 55 with my Gitzo carbon tripod.  Great combination.  A little overkill when using my D300, but it makes me feel secure with the long lenses there too (combined with RRS mounts on the lenses).

I use the same set up with my AFD II and ZD Digital Back.  Rock solid, even with the "basic" mounting plate.  I will soon upgrade to the AFD L Mount just for more convenience and perceived increase in stability.

I used to have a a Gitzo off-center head and quickly got rid of it over the simpler and sturdier RRS system.  Additionally, with the RRS system, there are all the other bits that you can acquire as 'needs' present themselves such as the pano kits, etc.

I am incredibly happy with the RRS system and their very personalized service.

Josh

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 02:09:08 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I love my Burszynski head
I shall certainly try one too , but you cannot shoot portrait  without a L plate I think ?

actually I have the 4 RRS ball-heads    , I got yesterday their new MH-01 LR Monopod Head     and I love it
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:15:41 pm by erick.boileau »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:35 pm »

The FF BH55 ball head is a good place to start if you haven't already made the purchase.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Raphael

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 03:45:39 pm »

Arca swiss Z1 is built like a tank. the action is super smooth. I guess between the z1 and rrs, it all comes down to personal choice but the quality and durability is a given.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 04:40:20 pm »

Quote from: erick.boileau
I shall certainly try one too , but you cannot shoot portrait  without a L plate I think ?

actually I have the 4 RRS ball-heads    , I got yesterday their new MH-01 LR Monopod Head     and I love it

Nope, the L-Plate stays on my H body all the time. I have put it on last year and just left it on since.

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:34 pm »

Thanks guys! I've decided to give the RRS BH-55 a try after the resounding recommendations. I threw in a nodal slide and L-bracket while I was at it.   Ringing it at almost $1k, it better be a real nice system! I wanted to spring for the Omni Pro package, but that was just a little pricey all at once.

-J
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

hauxon

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 08:44:04 pm »

You could consider a cheaper alternative.  I've had a Feisol CD-50D ballhead (and carbon-fiber tripod) for some time now and can heartly recommend it.  I've been using it with my day to day Canon 1Ds2 and occational shoot with a Mamiya RZ67.  The head is very smooth, feels solid and just a joy to use.  It's a 50mm type but they also have a 70mm one.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

BruceHouston

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »

Quote from: eleanorbrown
I would never use any ball heads but RRS.  Have both the 50 and 40 and use both with my H2 and Phase Back.  Used to use the Arca Swiss but stopped when it locked frozen in snowy weather.  Never had the RRS heads lock up on me.  they always work perfectly. Always use the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods too.  Eleanor

Same experience here as to RRS.

Bruce
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up