Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artifacts & compression issues  (Read 1553 times)

obscura

Artifacts & compression issues
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:45 am »

Hi everyone

I have been submitting images to 6 different stock photography sites since May of this year with about 85 per cent
acceptance of the images at these sites.  This past month Istockphoto has rejected 15 images due to "Artifacts and
compression problems".

I shoot in Raw with my Olympus E3 or my Canon G9 and do minimal corrections before submitting images in JPEG
format.  I realized last night that I do submit the same JPEG to each stock company and perhaps the opening and
closing the image 6 times might be part of the problem.  So first question ........Am I on the right track?  Should I
keep my image in Tiff format and create a new JPEG each time I submit the image to a stock company?

And second question......Could something else be causing artifacts??  I save all images at image quality 12/baseline standard in Photoshop CS3.   I import all my images to Lightroom 1.4

Thanks

LoisWakeman

Artifacts & compression issues
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:21:14 am »

You can open a JPEG as many times as you like and close it again without increasing the artefacting; they only degrade when you make any change and save.

I've no idea what level 12 is (Spinal Tap's amp only went up to 11, so must be impressive   )

But as long as you save the JPEG using the maximum quality/minimum compression, and don't keep saving/editing it thereafter, it should not get any worse. If you have to do something different for each agency, then yes, make a base TIFF version and use that to generate each JPEG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up