Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Ink spots  (Read 3500 times)

MatthewG

• http://www.matthewgivens.com
Z3100 Ink spots
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:16:41 pm »

Sorry guys if this sounds trivial but here goes.

I am using a Z3100 24" printer

I am getting ink spots.  Sometimes on the left or right edges and some times on the top corner?  I spoke with HP online and it was a bust.  They said clean the platen?

I would love to know how to do this and anything else I need to clean that can't be cleaned through the software.

Thanks

sorry the pics are horrible  that good

[attachment=9116:IMG00029.jpg]

chris anderson

Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:32 pm »

Quote from: MatthewG

I am getting ink spots.  Sometimes on the left or right edges and some times on the top corner?  I spoke with HP online and it was a bust.  They said clean the platen?

I would love to know how to do this and anything else I need to clean that can't be cleaned through the software.

Thanks

you need to remove the print heads, and clean them off with a coffee filter, that will clear it up!
                C

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:12 pm »

Thanks

This is a 'known issue' with the Z3100. Over time ink will build up on the underside of the printheads and the printhead carriage assembly, mostly matte black ink. Go through the printer's front panel menu and choose "change printhead". When the printhead carriage assembly moves into position, unplug the printer. Then pull all the printheads, and check them for 'oversprayed' ink. Clean them using Q-tips and distilled water, starting with the actual printhead surface. Before you put the heads back in, also use Q-tips to clean off the accumulated ink from the underside of the carriage assembly. Most of it tends to collect near the matte black head. You should also clean off the accumulated ink on the white 'diaper pads' at the extreme left and right sides of the printer interior. Replace all the heads, do a realignment, and all is well.

On average I find I have to do this about twice a year. Well worth it to me in return for no more black ink swaps.

MatthewG

• http://www.matthewgivens.com
Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:34 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
This is a 'known issue' with the Z3100. Over time ink will build up on the underside of the printheads and the printhead carriage assembly, mostly matte black ink. Go through the printer's front panel menu and choose "change printhead". When the printhead carriage assembly moves into position, unplug the printer. Then pull all the printheads, and check them for 'oversprayed' ink. Clean them using Q-tips and distilled water, starting with the actual printhead surface. Before you put the heads back in, also use Q-tips to clean off the accumulated ink from the underside of the carriage assembly. Most of it tends to collect near the matte black head. You should also clean off the accumulated ink on the white 'diaper pads' at the extreme left and right sides of the printer interior. Replace all the heads, do a realignment, and all is well.

On average I find I have to do this about twice a year. Well worth it to me in return for no more black ink swaps.

Thanks I will try this first thing in the morning.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:35:20 am »

Thanks I will try this first thing in the morning.

If your printer has been idle but on power for a longer period there's a good chance the first print gets the big droplets.
Cleaning the plastic part where the heads rest on in the interior right side may be enough to deal with that.
What method to use when it becomes clear that it will not be used for several weeks is hard to say, I have had the printer idle and without power for more than two weeks and there wasn't a clogged head and no filthy pad, the same but with a filthy pad when I kept the power on.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:53 am »

What's the pattern of use that you with the problem have?  Mine is used frequently, and I have never had a drop.  Does it look like this is only an issue from excessive idle time?

rdonson

Z3100 Ink spots
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:56 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
Does it look like this is only an issue from excessive idle time?

Yes.  Although often the black spots go away after a print or two.  It may depend on how long the printer has been idle.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up