Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image desaturation  (Read 5731 times)

cowboy

Image desaturation
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:11:21 pm »

This is a strange one for me. I have posted images for critique on a forum. The forum accepts the image and description before posting and returns it to you for submission. The image returned is not nearly as saturated as the original submission. If then the image is submitted the desaturated image appears in the forum. No one in the forum seems to understand this phenomena. To continue to track the issue I sent the original image to a friend, he received it ok. He returned it to me via e-mail and I observed the same desaturation of the image as occured with the forum. That was the image in the e-mail, the attachment when opened in the Windows viewer was as it was originally.
Anyone have any idea about what is going on?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Image desaturation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:44:57 pm »

Quote from: cowboy
This is a strange one for me. I have posted images for critique on a forum. The forum accepts the image and description before posting and returns it to you for submission. The image returned is not nearly as saturated as the original submission. If then the image is submitted the desaturated image appears in the forum. No one in the forum seems to understand this phenomena. To continue to track the issue I sent the original image to a friend, he received it ok. He returned it to me via e-mail and I observed the same desaturation of the image as occured with the forum. That was the image in the e-mail, the attachment when opened in the Windows viewer was as it was originally.
Anyone have any idea about what is going on?

What platform are you using?  What program are you viewing the image in?

Sounds like what might happen if your file includes an imbedded profile that is being stripped before they return the file to you - they might be using a utility to remove metadata and profiles to make the files as small as possible.

DarkPenguin

Image desaturation
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:53:43 pm »

Convert your files to SRGB before uploading.

cowboy

Image desaturation
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
What platform are you using?  What program are you viewing the image in?

Sounds like what might happen if your file includes an imbedded profile that is being stripped before they return the file to you - they might be using a utility to remove metadata and profiles to make the files as small as possible.

cowboy

Image desaturation
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:48:46 pm »

Wayne, I am using PCs (I have tried it on two with the same results). Xt Home is on both. In the case of a return from the forum, I don't know because it comes back in the forum preview form. In the case of sending to a friend and getting it back, the e-mail is Outlook Express and the photo is desaturated. When I open the attachment it is color correct and opens in Window Viewer.

Dark Pequin:
I thought I was converting it, however since your answer I looked at the file properties of the upload image and it is still prophoto. I guess I don't know how to convert it and verify the change. I am using Bridge and CS3. Can you direct me. I think the answer is the conversion. I thought I had accomplished it--wrong!
Thank you both for responding so promptly.
Bill

cowboy

Image desaturation
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »

Dark Penquin:
I have successfully converted the file to Srgb and verified it. I cannot submit a new image until later this evening, but I think it is going to work. Please ignore my last plea for help concerning the conversion.
Bill

cowboy

Image desaturation
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:26:08 pm »

Dark Penguin you nailed it again. I performed the conversions and sent a repost. Worked perfectly. You come through every time. Now that I can post I need only learn photography  
Thank you so very much.
Bill

DarkPenguin

Image desaturation
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »

Sorry for not getting back to you.  I read your post when I was away from a pc with photoshop and because the thread was marked as read forgot to check it again when I got back.

That srgb thing nails a lot of people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up