Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: the one big thing about capture one 4.5  (Read 24885 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
the one big thing about capture one 4.5
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2008, 06:47:04 am »

Quote from: Snook
Hey Guy any news.. How did your shoot go..? Smoothly I hope?
I have a Beauty cover today that I will use it with and then have a catalogue for the net 5-6 days.. Will try to work up the nerve to use it for the catalogue.
Can anybody report in if the Back up to another drive feature is working flawlessly so far? That would be one of my main concerns.. Like my digital assistant erasing something by accident or something?
Does the Canon 1DsMII work tether and properly with it?
Thanks for any heads up as I start the catalogue tomorrow and will be using the RZ P30 combo today for the beauty to try it out. The beauty is one cover and the catalogue is 80 images which could mean 80 x 10-15 shots per image...
Thanks for any more information as the Phase One forums stink and the only really decent information comes from here...:+]
Snook

Was shooting all day yesterday tethered to the MacBook Pro Snook and working like a charm . Even disconnect firewire move to a another room reinstall and just picks up where it left off. I love that feature instead of rebooting the program every time. Getting previews very quick also with the P25 Plus 1.5 seconds or so. So far not one glitch. Pretty darn happy so far with it. Heading out again to shoot sunrise stuff without tethered though 14 ft ladder would make that a little tough. LOL

I would certainly hook up and shoot your layout
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2008, 07:07:17 am »

Hey Guy any news.. How did your shoot go..? Smoothly I hope?
I have a Beauty cover today that I will use it with and then have a catalogue for the net 5-6 days.. Will try to work up the nerve to use it for the catalogue.
Can anybody report in if the Back up to another drive feature is working flawlessly so far? That would be one of my main concerns.. Like my digital assistant erasing something by accident or something?
Does the Canon 1DsMII work tether and properly with it?
Thanks for any heads up as I start the catalogue tomorrow and will be using the RZ P30 combo today for the beauty to try it out. The beauty is one cover and the catalogue is 80 images which could mean 80 x 10-15 shots per image...
Thanks for any more information as the Phase One forums stink and the only really decent information comes from here...:+]
Snook
Yes it does work with 1Ds MK3, a little faster than the EOS Utility I think, but still a lot slower than even my P45+ back. Quite interesting is that you can actually swap between a digital back and 1Ds MK3 for the same capture folder. However, you can only control the ISO setting but not able to control the f stops and speed, at least this is what I found.  The live view is not workable on C4.5 however C4.5 allow you to enable the hot folder, so may be it will work with EOS Utility to get to use the Live View but I have not yet tried it.

Snook

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2008, 12:21:23 pm »

Quote from: Khun_K
Yes it does work with 1Ds MK3, a little faster than the EOS Utility I think, but still a lot slower than even my P45+ back. Quite interesting is that you can actually swap between a digital back and 1Ds MK3 for the same capture folder. However, you can only control the ISO setting but not able to control the f stops and speed, at least this is what I found.  The live view is not workable on C4.5 however C4.5 allow you to enable the hot folder, so may be it will work with EOS Utility to get to use the Live View but I have not yet tried it.

Have  quick questiom.. here in studio shooting and for some reason my 1DsMII is not recognized by  3.7.9 anymore..
The camera says connected  with the S tilde but capture shows the Capture K button grey out and I cannot shoot tethered at all.
I used to shoot tethered all the time with 1DsMII and 3.7.9
Could it be that installing 4.5 pro has changed something?
Cannot see why or how but it no longer shoots tethered...??
And 4.5 works with the 1DsMII tethered but all the buttons are grey out and I cannot make changes...
I remember this happened even on my P30 when I first tried and I cannot remember what I did to get it working properly..
All Dials are greyed out...??
Thnaks for any quick help or suggestions..
Having to shoot to a CF card and then load in bridge at the moment.. which sux!!
Thanks
Snook
What was the cure for the greyed out problem again???????

Snook

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 01:46:06 pm »

Also is there anyway to have TETHERED also back up to external HD while shooting????
Thanks for any quick help here???
I can ony make favrite folder if I import.. How do I make a favorites folder when shooting tethered??
Thanks
Snook
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:18:07 pm by Snook »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2008, 03:58:48 pm »

Also is there anyway to have TETHERED also back up to external HD while shooting????

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/07/...ore-your-shoot/

I can only make favorite folder if I import.. How do I make a favorites folder when shooting tethered??

drag a folder into the favorites list

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Snook

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/07/...ore-your-shoot/

drag a folder into the favorites list

Personal Portfolio

Thanks Doug for the response.....
Was a little frustrating today.. But I have to say that once I got it down pat it was smooth. No errors at all all day.
Will have to study some more of the Videos.. You all need to make a video for people shooting tethered and show a better workflow.
It program is not intuitive.
For some reason in the beginning I could only make an album and the pictures would not come into the sessions etc.... etc...

Is there anyway to make One session and have many different folders and the pictures get tethered into each older (look) we are doing.. instead having to make a session for every look???
It's not really clear how to make a good workflow through the videos you all have, Which are great and thankful atleast there are those, But another maybe with like a real job work flow might be better for some to grasp a large folder and sub folder job.. Not just Demo  folder. Show how people can make a 10-15 folder job.
I do a lot of catalogue and it would nice to have a new folder for each look and be able to name it the Page/Look. and then tether straight into those.
Seems when I made a new folder if I was tethering the images kept going into my other session and not the new one I created???
Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully yes.
Also could not figure out when I clicked on my first incoming image to white balance it and then when I chose Profile to take on the profile of the previous image, they would not come with the previous adjustment.

BIG WHY???
Why would you be given the option to make instant back-up when importing from a card But when you are tethering the same option is not available???
Makes no sense at all.
When Tethering is when it is the mst important that you have an instant back-up b/c atleast with a card you have the option to leave the images on the card for safe keeping incase that art director spills his/her coffee on the laptop and you lose all the images.
Your putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak...
I usually shoot to card and do 2 back ups to the NEXTO and have instant to back-ups REALLY fast.

I do have to say I like the program better than 3.7.9 which would often crash, geet stuck or not notice the camera often..
I had Not one crash today and th eimages came in shoothly.. Even in 3.7.9 if I shot to fast the program would die many times.. Not 4.5... It would load them all and I actually hit buffer on the 1DsMII many times and just waited and the images all came in no problem..
Very  nice.

I have a paid license for 3.7 and wondering what would make 3.7.9 all of a sudden not notice the 1DsMII... tried everything today and it would not work .. the Capture K was grey out all the time even though the camera showed connected tethered..???

Thanks and I would appreciate it if you could let me know some answer to some of these questions..

Thanks again.
Snook

Doug Peterson

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:46 pm »

Thanks Doug for the response.....
Was a little frustrating today.. But I have to say that once I got it down pat it was smooth. No errors at all all day.
Will have to study some more of the Videos.. You all need to make a video for people shooting tethered and show a better workflow.
It program is not intuitive.
For some reason in the beginning I could only make an album and the pictures would not come into the sessions etc.... etc...

Is there anyway to make One session and have many different folders and the pictures get tethered into each older (look) we are doing.. instead having to make a session for every look???
It's not really clear how to make a good workflow through the videos you all have, Which are great and thankful atleast there are those, But another maybe with like a real job work flow might be better for some to grasp a large folder and sub folder job.. Not just Demo  folder. Show how people can make a 10-15 folder job.
I do a lot of catalogue and it would nice to have a new folder for each look and be able to name it the Page/Look. and then tether straight into those.
Seems when I made a new folder if I was tethering the images kept going into my other session and not the new one I created???
Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully yes.
Also could not figure out when I clicked on my first incoming image to white balance it and then when I chose Profile to take on the profile of the previous image, they would not come with the previous adjustment.

BIG WHY???
Why would you be given the option to make instant back-up when importing from a card But when you are tethering the same option is not available???
Makes no sense at all.
When Tethering is when it is the mst important that you have an instant back-up b/c atleast with a card you have the option to leave the images on the card for safe keeping incase that art director spills his/her coffee on the laptop and you lose all the images.
Your putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak...
I usually shoot to card and do 2 back ups to the NEXTO and have instant to back-ups REALLY fast.

I do have to say I like the program better than 3.7.9 which would often crash, geet stuck or not notice the camera often..
I had Not one crash today and th eimages came in shoothly.. Even in 3.7.9 if I shot to fast the program would die many times.. Not 4.5... It would load them all and I actually hit buffer on the 1DsMII many times and just waited and the images all came in no problem..
Very  nice.

I have a paid license for 3.7 and wondering what would make 3.7.9 all of a sudden not notice the 1DsMII... tried everything today and it would not work .. the Capture K was grey out all the time even though the camera showed connected tethered..???

Thanks and I would appreciate it if you could let me know some answer to some of these questions..

Thanks again.
Snook

Quite welcome.

Though I fear you may be reaching the end of boot camp and heading to war. As I'm sure you've seen from the dozens of posts in the last month we (Capture Integration) want very much to contribute to the community with free advice, but you're getting into some very specific questions which would require illustrations, videos, graphics, and in-depth discussion to tailor solutions to your needs. Especially when talking about workflow the right answer for you is not the same answer as for someone else and it takes really deep knowledge of the software coupled with real world photographic experience to figure it all out. We can do that, but... not for free. Hopefully that makes sense.

We offer small-group online classes (you download example files and then watch our screen and talk to us on a conference call). The intro class does an overview of everything the advanced classes (shaped very strongly by customer requests) cover specific topics in great depth. Methods for easing heavy duty high-volume workflow is my primary concern, so I think you would find that we have an incredible number of tips/tricks/hacks/suggestions that would apply to you that you won't find anywhere else. Should also be a good chance to meet and interact with luminous landscape forum members outside of the text-on-board; we'd definitely be open to a special discount for an all-LL online class. I guarantee you (Snook) would get a lot out of it.

For some of the easier to answer questions...
"Is there anyway to make One session and have many different folders and the pictures get tethered into each older (look) we are doing.. instead having to make a session for every look???"
Right click on the capture folder and Show in Library. (if your capture folder is called just "capture folder" you might rename it to something like "look 1" at this point. Drag the current capture folder to the "favorites". Right click on the session folder which is revealed and "create new folder" with a name such as "look 2". Right click on the new folder (e.g. "look 2") and "set as capture folder". Drag this folder to the favorites.
This sounds like a lot of clicking, but should only take a few seconds. This will give you a list of folders containing the raws for each look and 1) you can move images between them quickly 2) you can use Albums to compare images between them 3) you can use move-to to quickly create groups of selects 4) all the look folders reside within your over-arching-shoot session folder for easy archiving.

Extremely good reason actually: performance. Especially on a laptop if the hard drive is trying to write streams of data coming from, e.g. P65+ 60 megapixel images coming in at 1 per second then making on the fly duplicates will severely lag performance. The white paper I linked you to is just a generic recommendation. There are many other ways to do it, but the best ways all involve the ability to trigger the update/backup via a button (or type a shortcut, or do a mouse gesture etc) when the photographer is not in the middle of a long string of shots rather than have the backups going 100% of the time. Using this method performance does not suffer and at worst you lose the last minute or two worth of shots.

The problem with your Mark II is not normal or common (as far as I have heard or seen). There is something specifically awry with your setup and if you correct it you will be able to tether the mark II with consistency. Probably the most common cause of Canon's not connecting right now is explained in the article linked below and has to do with Aperture (even if you've never installed or used it) and OSX 10.5.2 and later.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/...ng-in-osx-1052/

Personal Portfolio

Snook

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2008, 09:56:21 pm »

Thank you Doug for taking the time to explain..:+}
I wish I could take one of your  courses, but I live to far and much too busty.. Maybe some day.
I'll get the folder structure worked out... and appreciate all your help.
I really have to say I was amazed that it never froze up and no hiccups at all.
OSX 10.5.5 here.. Macbook Pro 17"
Thanks again..
Snook (Eric)

Hey Doug thanks for everything.. The explanation for the folders work great... Been trying this morning with my assistant before the Catalogue today...
Thanks again.
I also bought the Synchronizer X program and was wondering somehing.
Seems to work great but I have a question maybe you can help?
Does the Program copy everything all the time.. For instance if at the end of the day I press BAck-up.. does it copy the whole folder everytime or only the new stuff added?
Would be great if it just copied the newer stuff added everytime? Instead of copying everything everytime..
I just did a test and it copies everything everytime.. If you know of any settings or tricks that make it copy only new files that are added each time? I noticed you all say in the info that even if you throw away a picutre the synch will not .. it will keep the complete origianl copy???
Not sure that is true as it seems to copy everything again each time..?
Right?
Thanks
Snook
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:09:33 am by Snook »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:49 am »

I also bought the Synchronizer X program and was wondering somehing.
Seems to work great but I have a question maybe you can help?
Does the Program copy everything all the time.. For instance if at the end of the day I press BAck-up.. does it copy the whole folder everytime or only the new stuff added?
Would be great if it just copied the newer stuff added everytime? Instead of copying everything everytime..
I just did a test and it copies everything everytime.. If you know of any settings or tricks that make it copy only new files that are added each time? I noticed you all say in the info that even if you throw away a picutre the synch will not .. it will keep the complete origianl copy???
Not sure that is true as it seems to copy everything again each time..?
Right?
Thanks
Snook

Can't be too far; it's online training. And you can't be too busy, as working these problems out one at a time can't possibly be faster than spending an hour figuring them all out at once.  

I would have to look in the preferences and settings again to let you know what switch you might have thrown incorrectly (don't have it on this computer), but the idea is that it 1) won't delete images at the target if they are no longer at the source and 2) that it will only copy changes (sync) rather than completely rewrite every time (dub/mirror)

Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

Snook

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:04 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Can't be too far; it's online training. And you can't be too busy, as working these problems out one at a time can't possibly be faster than spending an hour figuring them all out at once.  

I would have to look in the preferences and settings again to let you know what switch you might have thrown incorrectly (don't have it on this computer), but the idea is that it 1) won't delete images at the target if they are no longer at the source and 2) that it will only copy changes (sync) rather than completely rewrite every time (dub/mirror)

Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

Your right I did not notice that, But if I spent anymore time on the computer my why would divorce me for sure...:+}

Shot again today ALL day pretty much non stop. About 25 gigs of images from a 1DsMII...
Not one hiccup at all and Thanks to Dougs' help about the folders it is a breeze making them and sorting them.
The Program did crash 2... Once when we broke for lunch for about and hour, when I came back it said the Program C-1 has unexp. crashed on Macintosh..
And Once , user error I believe, near the end of the day I was shooting to fast I think and had little space on the laptop (like 12 gigs) But I got the Beach Ball and just restarted the program and all was fine..
Again, I believe it was user error. I have had way more crashes and disconnects with 3.7
One thing I agree with many is that the Focus tool was better in 3.7.. The 4.5 version has better options but the floating screen and how you could check before was better. IMHO
Thanks again and it looks like 3.7 will be collecting some dust...
By the way the Clarity option is sweet to have now..
Snook

Snook

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2008, 01:24:53 pm »

Your right I did not notice that, But if I spent anymore time on the computer my why would divorce me for sure...:+}

Shot again today ALL day pretty much non stop. About 25 gigs of images from a 1DsMII...
Not one hiccup at all and Thanks to Dougs' help about the folders it is a breeze making them and sorting them.
The Program did crash 2... Once when we broke for lunch for about and hour, when I came back it said the Program C-1 has unexp. crashed on Macintosh..
And Once , user error I believe, near the end of the day I was shooting to fast I think and had little space on the laptop (like 12 gigs) But I got the Beach Ball and just restarted the program and all was fine..
Again, I believe it was user error. I have had way more crashes and disconnects with 3.7
One thing I agree with many is that the Focus tool was better in 3.7.. The 4.5 version has better options but the floating screen and how you could check before was better. IMHO
Thanks again and it looks like 3.7 will be collecting some dust...
By the way the Clarity option is sweet to have now..
Snook

Posted this already in another thread but might be helpful here aslo..:+]

OK just had a slight scare... that could help people...
Shooting tethered,  was on like my 7th picture of the day when my assistant #1 copied the last 2 files to an external HD. then when we went back to look at the images the Jpgs were there along with cr2 files but the Raws lost the weight and did not open..
Strangest thing I have ever seen... Thank gosh I am anal about back-ups and make my assistant back up right away ALWAYS.
so the Back ups were fine but the images that were left in C-1 4.5 lost all the wieght and would no open.. even in the pictures folder they were only the icons and not the images..
pretty darn scary if you ask me.
it was after the 7 th shot tethered.. we double checked and they were gone.. strange b/c they were once there and copied..
That is my worst nightmare.. Losing images.
Snook
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up