Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: the one big thing about capture one 4.5  (Read 24884 times)

stevephoto

the one big thing about capture one 4.5
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 05:34:08 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
I think that's a little harsh, Steve.

While we didn't solve the problem - so far - we had one of our dealers own technical support person involved, one of our own internal technical supporters in the USA on the phone with the digital tech for a good hour, and we had involvement from Denmark, not to mention an Area Sales Manager also involved. There was a lot of effort involved in diagnosing and troubleshooting the issue, and the issue remains un-resolved and the source of the problem remains unknown. And hopefully we'll find out what was causing all the trouble - it could be many things, computer, camera, software - that all remains unknown at this point.

But regardless of the issue and regardless of the resolution, without any effort to resolve an issue on the part of the manufacturer no issue would ever get resolved, and this was certainly not a case where good support was not in place and in fact it was exercised.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve

You are right - i deleted it

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 10:19:35 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
James,

Honestly just curiosity: if you want to limit your physical load, are more familiar with mac, but need to have windows for faster Canon use, then why not use bootcamp to have windows and mac on one computer?

Doug
Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

But, back to the original issue.  

Has anyone from Phase got 4.5 to tether on vista and in my case a Dell?

Did Phase test 4.5 in vista?

I would think that is a standard configuration for the PC world, or is it just not possible?

Any help would be apppreciated.

Thx.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 10:25:21 am »

James some release notes . Not sure it helps. I am not on a PC so i am out of this

System requirements
Capture One 4.5 may run on other and older equipment than what’s listed below but to ensure the
best possible results we recommend that your computer at least conforms to the following
specifications:
Microsoft® Windows®:
• Intel® Pentium® 4 or equivalent
• 1 GB of RAM (2 GB when working with digital backs)
• 10 GB of free hard disk space
• Calibrated color monitor with 1280 x 800, 24 bit resolution at 96dpi screen ruling
• Windows XP®, service pack 3 or Windows Vista®, service pack 1
• Microsoft® .NET Framework version 3.0
• A PDF reader is needed to access the help file
Apple® Macintosh®:
• Intel-based Macs
• Calibrated color monitor with 1280 x 800, 24 bit resolution at 96dpi screen ruling
• Mac OS X 10.5.5 or later
• Please note that you need an internet connection when activating Capture One 4.5.
(For Phase One digital back users, the application can be run in the “Capture One digital back
only” mode. The application is fully functional in this mode and doesn’t require activation or an
internet connection)
The above hardware specifications is to be considered as minimum requirements, if you work with
high resolution camera systems or simply want to optimize the performance, please f ollow the
recommendations below:
• Using processor with multiple cores, e.g. Intel CoreTM Duo or better
• Having 2 GB of RAM or more
• Plenty of hard disk space for your images!
• A fast hard disk
 For tethered shooting with Phase One digital backs ensure that your system complies with the
following recommendations:
o Sufficient Firewire power supply, i.e. 10W is required, which is more than what many
laptops are able to supply.
o Activate “Force Battery” setting in Digital Back when using host computer with
insufficient Firewire power supply.
o Use the 4.5 m Phase One Firewire cable
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

James R Russell

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 10:41:14 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
James some release notes . Not sure it helps. I am not on a PC so i am out of this

System requirements
Capture One 4.5 may run on other and older equipment than what’s listed below but to ensure the
best possible results we recommend that your computer at least conforms to the following
specifications:
Microsoft® Windows®:
• Intel® Pentium® 4 or equivalent
• Windows XP®, service pack 3 or Windows Vista®, service pack 1
• Microsoft® .NET Framework version 3.0
• A PDF reader is needed to access the help file

Yea it exceeds all of that.   It is the 17" studio version maxed on processor, ram, video card and drives.

4.5 works on the dell, as long as you don't tether, but working in the electronic equipment business means different things to different companies.

As stated it won't tether through usb for the canons (freezes the program) and wont recognize the p30+ or p21+ though we have downloaded the appropriate drivers.

I was told by someone that works with Phase One that there is issues with vista but they weren't specific.

tho_mas

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 10:58:46 am »

Quote from: James R Russell
Did Phase test 4.5 in vista?
Any help would be apppreciated.
James, I am running 4.5pro on Vista 32bit (desktop, not laptop). It's running pretty well (no crashes) with Intel 4x 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM.
The main thing with Vista is to speed up the entire OS by deactivating certain processes (about 10 or even more services like air effects, recovery, defender, system search index and others...).
If you're interessted in I can PM you a list with all the processes to be disabled (that are not needed for the system, the contrary). As you are new to Windows you may not know them yet. But I don't know if there are different processes in the 64bit and 32bit version - I only know about the 32bit!
If your Dell has 4GB RAM next thing is to give 3GB RAM to the apllications (by default it's just 2GB - the half is for the system).
As to tethering I can not help... my P45 is not supported in Vista at all (regardless of 32bit or 64bit).

You should know about this knowledgebase article:
http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/A...mp;LanguageID=1

James R Russell

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39:46 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
James, I am running 4.5pro on Vista 32bit (desktop, not laptop). It's running pretty well (no crashes) with Intel 4x 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM.
The main thing with Vista is to speed up the entire OS by deactivating certain processes (about 10 or even more services like air effects, recovery, defender, system search index and others...).
If you're interessted in I can PM you a list with all the processes to be disabled (that are not needed for the system, the contrary). As you are new to Windows you may not know them yet. But I don't know if there are different processes in the 64bit and 32bit version - I only know about the 32bit!
If your Dell has 4GB RAM next thing is to give 3GB RAM to the apllications (by default it's just 2GB - the half is for the system).
As to tethering I can not help... my P45 is not supported in Vista at all (regardless of 32bit or 64bit).

You should know about this knowledgebase article:
http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/A...mp;LanguageID=1

Thanks for the link.

We have done this, actually a few times auto and manually, but still get the same response through 4.5 of it not recognizing the camera.

If it is something we're missing or doing wrong we will continue to try to make this work, but if vista is just not supported with 4.5 then obviously we'll just have to go with the macs.

I haven't heard a definative answer so I don't know.

But I do appreciate the help.

thx.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:41:44 am by James R Russell »

tho_mas

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 11:46:34 am »

but if vista is just not supported with 4.5 then obviously we'll just have to go with the macs.
I didn't really understand - are you running 64 or 32bit Vista?
4.5 runs on Vista32bit.
Should run on Vista64bit, too (me I can not confirm this).
Tethering: only on Vista32bit.

stevephoto

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2008, 01:39:41 pm »

Thanks for the link.

We have done this, actually a few times auto and manually, but still get the same response through 4.5 of it not recognizing the camera.

If it is something we're missing or doing wrong we will continue to try to make this work, but if vista is just not supported with 4.5 then obviously we'll just have to go with the macs.

I haven't heard a definative answer so I don't know.

But I do appreciate the help.

thx.

hope not coming up with the obvious - but have you tried a real short usb lead? usb connections are a lot more complex than it may appear due to handshake timing that has to be within certain spec, hence the issue over length

James R Russell

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »

Quote from: stevephoto
hope not coming up with the obvious - but have you tried a real short usb lead? usb connections are a lot more complex than it may appear due to handshake timing that has to be within certain spec, hence the issue over length

Yes, but that's not it as the Canon will tether flawlessly to eos utility on the dell.

I really don't care if 4.5 works with the Canons as I like EOS and it works solid.

It's just tethering the phase backs that is an issue.

thx.

stevephoto

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2008, 04:00:17 pm »

Yes, but that's not it as the Canon will tether flawlessly to eos utility on the dell.

I really don't care if 4.5 works with the Canons as I like EOS and it works solid.

It's just tethering the phase backs that is an issue.

thx.

i knew that the canon worked with the EOS, but there is a chance that the phase programming itself has a different timing cycle to access the usb data flow

i think someone already mentioned about removing the EOS program ( not sure if you tried that or even want to) but there is a setting in the EOS program that automatically recognises when anything is connected to a USB port, you might want to check that is off in case it is causing a conflict

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:21 pm »

Quote from: stevephoto
i knew that the canon worked with the EOS, but there is a chance that the phase programming itself has a different timing cycle to access the usb data flow

i think someone already mentioned about removing the EOS program ( not sure if you tried that or even want to) but there is a setting in the EOS program that automatically recognises when anything is connected to a USB port, you might want to check that is off in case it is causing a conflict

The EOS utility may be running in the background, and preventing C1 from accessing the USB port. Disable the EOS utility from starting up automatically at boot-up, restart and check if tethering the Phase back is possible.

Kumar

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:34 pm »

That actually sounds very reasonable. From memory i think the EOS utility does run in the background. This is a while back mind you but that maybe it.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

James R Russell

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:18 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
That actually sounds very reasonable. From memory i think the EOS utility does run in the background. This is a while back mind you but that maybe it.

That's not it, we've installed, uninstalled EOS utility.

It's something in the Phase drivers.   Vista locates them and downloads but they aren't recognized by the software.

It's also not vista running 64 bits, because we are running vista on 32 bits.  As of now 4.5 just doesn't tether to vista or at least my machine.

At this point I'll follow up from the road.

Anway, nothing yet, but a lot of thanks to Dave Gallagher and his group for working to get a fix.  They may be close, I don't know yet, but thanks again.

stevephoto

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 03:30:47 am »

That's not it, we've installed, uninstalled EOS utility.

It's something in the Phase drivers.   Vista locates them and downloads but they aren't recognized by the software.

It's also not vista running 64 bits, because we are running vista on 32 bits.  As of now 4.5 just doesn't tether to vista or at least my machine.

At this point I'll follow up from the road.

Anway, nothing yet, but a lot of thanks to Dave Gallagher and his group for working to get a fix.  They may be close, I don't know yet, but thanks again.

From what you have said, it may not just be the Phase driver, because the IDs driver is working as proven by the Eos program working, yet the Phase program locks up etc with the 1Ds. I know its the Phase camera you want to get working, but since the 1Ds does connect to the computer, might be good to focus on it as trying to test the system with 2 different cameras may be helping to miss whatever is going wrong or set wrong etc. I guess you have tried all the USB ports on the computer
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:31:41 am by stevephoto »

Henry Goh

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56:41 am »

Anway, nothing ...

Yank out the CF card when you are shooting tethered.

James R Russell

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 07:42:23 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
Yank out the CF card when you are shooting tethered.

Yes, done all of this.  Maybe it's not the drivers, maybe it's the program.  Once again with the 1ds3 the C-1 software freezes, with the phase backs it just doesn't connect.

With eos utility it tetheres to the 1ds3.  Shame eos won't work with the Phase, but I guess that isn't in Canons best interest.

gwhitf

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:14 am »

With eos utility it tetheres to the 1ds3.  Shame eos won't work with the Phase, but I guess that isn't in Canons best interest.

Oh my god, that is classic.

We have officially now come Full Circle.

When DPP and EOS Utility rule the world, we will KNOW we're in trouble!

James: Think small. Think easy. Why kill yourself? Next you'll be buying laptops over there when you arrive, with Russian operating systems on them. Why complicate? Take the Canons and make your life easy. Remember, in the end, it's gonna be out-of-register 150-line CMYK. That is the Great Equalizer.

James R Russell

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2008, 08:16:33 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Oh my god, that is classic.

We have officially now come Full Circle.

When DPP and EOS Utility rule the world, we will KNOW we're in trouble!

James: Think small. Think easy. Why kill yourself? Next you'll be buying laptops over there when you arrive, with Russian operating systems on them. Why complicate? Take the Canons and make your life easy. Remember, in the end, it's gonna be out-of-register 150-line CMYK. That is the Great Equalizer.

I like eos utility.  It's ugly, kind of pc amateur looking at startup, but the previews are huge and smooth and with the pc it comes in real fast so it's fine.

Your right, keep it simple and I could leave the Contax except for that bloody carnet for Russia.  What is on it has to go with it and either in a fit of paranoia or exhaustion I decided 11 days ago, to "sure take the Contax's we'll probably use them, what could be the problem?".

lisa_r

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 08:48:29 am »

Hate to say it James, but did you install with your virus protection on? Those real-time virus protection apps are known to botch installations and should be turned off during installs.

James R Russell

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 10:00:47 am »

double post
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:03:23 am by James R Russell »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up