Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: the one big thing about capture one 4.5  (Read 24894 times)

woof75

the one big thing about capture one 4.5
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 03:27:47 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
I also took exception to your sub-title on this thread, "unusable for a pro."  I'm a pro, I am very happy with the new features, and it works great for me.  And clearly my needs are different than yours...

Perhaps it would have been better if you had not made it such an all-inclusive statement and said something like, "makes it unusable for me" or "makes it unusable for this pro..."

Cheers,

Sorry, do you want me to draft up a proposal of a topic, we can all go through it, draft any amendments, have a quick vote and then I could re post it? For workshops it's probably great.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
You can essentially have this now by utilizing the 2nd monitor setup in Window>Workspaces>Two-Monitor.

You can shrink the 2nd monitor and keep it displayed at 100% with the main window at any zoom ratio you like. It doesn't shrink quite as small as I'd like, but it does shrink to a manageable size and it can be toggled in and out of the frame at will Window>Viewer>Capture One (no shortcut yet that I know of).

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

OK today we installed 4.5 on a vista machine, everything is up to Phase specs, os, ram, drives, etc.

When attempting to tether to the Canons, once plugged in the program jams and nothing will operate.  Not even shut down.  You have to reboot the computer and the same process happens again.

When attempting to tether to the p30+ using the back's batter to power the 4 pin fw cable, the program doesn't jam, but it will not recornize the camera.

We've gone through this process a dozen times, same result.

Steve, do you know anyone that is expert in vista and 4.5 ( and can be reached quickly) that knows how to overcome these issues?

thx.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:57:08 pm by James R Russell »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »

Quote from: woof75
Sorry, do you want me to draft up a proposal of a topic, we can all go through it, draft any amendments, have a quick vote and then I could re post it? For workshops it's probably great.

Not at all.  Just don't assume you speak for *all* pros when you espouse your own personal feelings...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 05:16:30 pm »

Quote from: James R Russell
OK today we installed 4.5 on a vista machine, everything is up to Phase specs, os, ram, drives, etc.

When attempting to tether to the Canons, once plugged in the program jams and nothing will operate.  Not even shut down.  You have to reboot the computer and the same process happens again.

When attempting to tether to the p30+ using the back's batter to power the 4 pin fw cable, the program doesn't jam, but it will not recornize the camera.

We've gone through this process a dozen times, same result.

Steve, do you know anyone that is expert in vista and 4.5 ( and can be reached quickly) that knows how to overcome these issues?

thx.

James

I'm told it shouldn't make any difference with 4.5, but you might try running in 32 bit mode if you are in 64 bit, or vice versa. Probably won't make any difference. I've chatted with your dealer, US-based tech support, and Denmark-based support and from this information, there are no clear reasons for this.

If changing the bit modes don't produce any results, it would be good to open a support case from the website.

Do you have a similar workstation that this can be duplicated from?

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

tho_mas

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:21 pm »

I'm told it shouldn't make any difference with 4.5, but you might try running in 32 bit mode if you are in 64 bit, or vice versa. Probably won't make any difference.
As far as I know: huge difference. On Vista64 there is no way to tether any camera at all! Not even the Phase backs. I may be wrong but as far as I know this is the case.

Really don't want to be disrespectful... but why don't YOU (Phase) try out all that?
Or at least publish release notes with all the issues (starting at false or missing keyboard shortcuts and menu commands and not yet ending with tools left out in the initial release).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:26:47 pm by tho_mas »

James R Russell

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »

James

I'm told it shouldn't make any difference with 4.5, but you might try running in 32 bit mode if you are in 64 bit, or vice versa. Probably won't make any difference. I've chatted with your dealer, US-based tech support, and Denmark-based support and from this information, there are no clear reasons for this.

If changing the bit modes don't produce any results, it would be good to open a support case from the website.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

We switched to 32 bit but it didn't change anything.  We also dumped then reinstalled the software, downloaded he appropriate drivers, same issues.

Obviously I'm new to windows so this could be something on our end, but I even went so far as to read the pdf manual, which for me was a first.

We have anoher older windows system, but it's not running vista.

Thanks for your help.

James

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »

We switched to 32 bit but it didn't change anything.  We also dumped then reinstalled the software, downloaded he appropriate drivers, same issues.

Obviously I'm new to windows so this could be something on our end, but I even went so far as to read the pdf manual, which for me was a first.

We have anoher older windows system, but it's not running vista.

Thanks for your help.

James

James:

Is this a Canon Mark III or II?

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

tho_mas

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »

J.Gilbert of Phase One in the P1 Userforum about tethering to Vista64:
"The answer is that Capture One and tethering Drivers are 32bit applications. Applications of course can be translated in a 64bit OS, Drivers however cannot, this is why tethering currently does not work."

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
As far as I know: huge difference. On Vista64 there is no way to tether any camera at all! Not even the Phase backs. I may be wrong but as far as I know this is the case.

Really don't want to be disrespectful... but why don't YOU (Phase) try out all that?
Or at least publish release notes with all the issues (starting at false or missing keyboard shortcuts and menu commands and not yet ending with tools left out in the initial release).

You are correct, regarding the 64 bit tethering.

No, you're not being disrespectful...we certainly will try that out, which is why i requested a support case. Once a support case is made with all the pertinent information, our internal technical support will pick that up and begin testing to see if they can reproduce the problem (assuming it is an unknown issue).

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

gwhitf

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 05:46:36 pm »

James,

With the Phase/Contax, why not just go back to an Apple laptop to tether to 4.5 Pro, since the USB is not a factor?

Avoid the Windows thing altogether.

Understandable with the Canon, due to USB speed.

James R Russell

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 06:17:07 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
James,

With the Phase/Contax, why not just go back to an Apple laptop to tether to 4.5 Pro, since the USB is not a factor?

Avoid the Windows thing altogether.

Understandable with the Canon, due to USB speed.

I am on my way out to do 4 countries and I would like to limit how many computers I take.  The dell is great for the Canons, but I thought it would be nice to be able to tether the Phase backs as a backup so I went ahead and downloaded 4.5 and three of us "used' 3 hours today trying to get it to connect to the Dell.  

Because I don't trust new stuff, we even read the pdf but it said nothing about the 32 bit drivers.

Anyway, I could just bring 2 intel powerbooks but as we all know the drivers on mac are slow when tethering to the Canons.

I guess we just carry more stuff, though with Russia I need the exact serial numbers of the equipment to match the Carnet.

In fact the Carnet has to be translated into Russian (which it is), but once again it must be exact or at this stage I would just leave the Contaxs and just take the Canons.

But I do appreciate everyone's help.

thx.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:41:53 pm by James R Russell »

stevephoto

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 07:44:32 pm »

del
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:32:55 am by stevephoto »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

Quote from: stevephoto
you mean - everyones help except Phase!

I think that's a little harsh, Steve.

While we didn't solve the problem - so far - we had one of our dealers own technical support person involved, one of our own internal technical supporters in the USA on the phone with the digital tech for a good hour, and we had involvement from Denmark, not to mention an Area Sales Manager also involved. There was a lot of effort involved in diagnosing and troubleshooting the issue, and the issue remains un-resolved and the source of the problem remains unknown. And hopefully we'll find out what was causing all the trouble - it could be many things, computer, camera, software - that all remains unknown at this point.

But regardless of the issue and regardless of the resolution, without any effort to resolve an issue on the part of the manufacturer no issue would ever get resolved, and this was certainly not a case where good support was not in place and in fact it was exercised.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

pixjohn

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »

Any reason why Phase does not tether with Nikon Camera's?

Henry Goh

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 11:37:12 pm »

James:

If you continue to have issues with Dell tethering your Canons to C1 Pro 4.5, try this -  remove EOS Utility from the Dell and launch C1 again.  See if ths solves your problem
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:25:51 am by Henry Goh »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 12:04:49 am »

Anyway, I could just bring 2 intel powerbooks but as we all know the drivers on mac are slow when tethering to the Canons.

I guess we just carry more stuff, though with Russia I need the exact serial numbers of the equipment to match the Carnet.

thx.

James,

Honestly just curiosity: if you want to limit your physical load, are more familiar with mac, but need to have windows for faster Canon use, then why not use bootcamp to have windows and mac on one computer?

Doug
Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Quote from: pixjohn

It's a stated goal that they are working with. The reasons were Nikon/Phase licensing/legal-mumbo-jumbo rather than technical. It seems some of those non technical hurdles have been crossed. No timeline given, but Nikong teterhing is moving forward.

Personal Portfolio

Anthony R

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 12:33:27 am »

Quote from: woof75

James R Russell

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 12:39:25 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
James,

Honestly just curiosity: if you want to limit your physical load, are more familiar with mac, but need to have windows for faster Canon use, then why not use bootcamp to have windows and mac on one computer?

Doug
Personal Portfolio

We were going to do that when I added the new intel book this week,  but then it takes partitioning of drives, running seperate os systems, some people report it works fast, others have issues and I have very little time.

I thought just loading a dell laptop would be easier and honestly the Dell is a very nice machine with 640 gigs of drive space and vista is an easy os to learn, at least for capture and some quick processing.

If I could run 4.5 on the dell machine it would lighten us and allow us to only carry one intel powerbook instead of two.  Now I don't know and though I do appreciate the help I wonder if anyone has run 4.5 tethered on a vista machine?

We tried to go onto Phase's support forum and even though I have two accounts (2 c-1 licenses) I can not get on the site to see if it's possible. We just get a series of redirects and finally onto the site as a guest which doesn't show any threads.  

Anyway, at this stage I'm just about out of time as we leave early thursday am and this is a large production so we're more than slammed.

So back to the original quesiton, why run it on a pc?  Well, I guess because I have one, do a lot of work with the Canon on the dell and it makes sense to have it available for my Phase backs also, since the software was listed as compatible with vista and our configuration.

thx
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:03:11 am by James R Russell »

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:03 am »

Quote from: pixjohn

I haven't tried it on the new 4.5 yet, on the 3.7 there's a workaround:
XP, 32 bit, Nikon D2x for me:

Launch Nikon Camera Control, choose folder, tether camera (there are two settings for USB in the camera, one of them works)
Launch C1, choose the same folder (did this without creating a session)

The very first time, Windows tried to stop the Nikon software, a security conflict maybe, I was able to de-activate this.
I isn't as fast as a Dback with Firewire of course, but for studio, it works. Will try this with 4.5 too soon.

Tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up