Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor screen resolution  (Read 2244 times)

stamper

Monitor screen resolution
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:51 am »

Is there a monitor screen resolution that is best suited to using Photoshop or can it be varied to suit the user?  My resolution is 1600 x 1200 on a 20 inch screen LCD . If I were to lower it .....would it make a difference as to how the edited images turn out? I am getting problems with the screen flickering so I was wondering if the resolution is too high?TIA
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:02:16 am by stamper »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:14:34 am »

LCD monitors have a native resolution and refresh rate. It's best to use only those values otherwise the screen must interpolate the display causing softness, aliasing and loss of color fidelity. Read the manual that came with your monitor or go to their website to find the values you need, then plug them into your system display prefs.
~ CB

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:48:16 am »

Flicker is typically associated with using 60 Hz under fluorescent light (BTW: I don't know that this CRT issue also applies to LCD). Chris is quite right about using the native res and refresh, so if your native refresh is 60, the solution might be to eliminate the fluorescents or at least hood the monitor. I can't think of anything other setting that would cause flicker, certainly not a change in screen res.

Of course, if you don't have fluorescents or if you turn the fluorescents off and that doesn't solve the problem, then something else is causing the flicker. Two other things occur to me purely as speculation, not from experience: some sort of intermittent fault in the backlight and some sort of power line conditioning problem. Someone with the appropriate technical background might want to comment as to whether either of these are actually physical possibilities.

> If I were to lower it .....would it make a difference as to how the edited images turn out?

Just for the record: the only effect on your output that comes to mind would be if you changed your sharpening routine because the on-screen image looked blurrier or sharper at the new res.
Pages: [1]   Go Up