Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica s2  (Read 83635 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica s2
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »

I saw people use it in studio. In fact I had to use it too, 20 years ago. It was considered the "cheap" solution where I had to shoot

Edmund

Quote from: pschefz
sorry, as good as the R line was, i have never seen or heard of a pro using it, although i am sure there are/were some because of its obvious advantages (it always comes down to the lenses with leica...)....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:47:57 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

heinrichvoelkel

Leica s2
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2009, 06:30:00 am »

at the rangefinderforum is a interesting thread on some factual news regarding leica

link to rangefinder forum

Leica says, they want to sell 10.000 units per year. Even with the prices becoming lower  I was pretty sure the whole MFDB market was just 6000 units per year. I don't get their math.

Maybe dfarkas can chime in on this? And while I'm asking, is there a pro service planned, because the aim at the pro with the S2:

"Target group of the S2 are professional photographers (studio, fashion, automobile)"

Thanks in advance

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica s2
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2009, 06:47:34 am »

Yes, they had planned a pro service.

However I think that the S2 is a joke if it uses the slow Kodak sensor - the whole advantage of an SLR format is speed of use with natural light off tripod, and you lose that with a slow sensor. The sensor was the greatest weakness of the M8 - who really wants to buy a Noctilux ?

Edmund

Quote from: heinrichvoelkel
at the rangefinderforum is a interesting thread on some factual news regarding leica

Leica says, they want to sell 10.000 units per year. Even with the prices becoming lower  I was pretty sure the whole MFDB market was just 6000 units per year. I don't get their math.

Maybe dfarkas can chime in on this? And while I'm asking, is there a pro service planned, because the aim at the pro with the S2:

"Target group of the S2 are professional photographers (studio, fashion, automobile)"

Thanks in advance
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

heinrichvoelkel

Leica s2
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2009, 07:10:27 am »

Quote from: eronald

Edmund

Do you have any details on that? or anybody else

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
Leica s2
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:19 am »

Quote from: heinrichvoelkel

Thanks in advance

This is a misquote. Stefan Daniel said that Leica estimates the entire MF market to be about 10,000 units per year. They expect to have a double-digit share of this. So, if Leica was able to capture a 10% market share (min double-digit), they'd expect to sell 1,000 units per year, at 20% they'd sell 2,000, etc. These numbers are more where Leica expects to be.  

Pro service has been planned from the beginning. We should have details on this before the end of the month, along with system pricing.

David

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

Nemo

Leica s2
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:55 am »

However I think that the S2 is a joke if it uses the slow Kodak sensor - the whole advantage of an SLR format is speed of use with natural light off tripod, and you lose that with a slow sensor. The sensor was the greatest weakness of the M8 - who really wants to buy a Noctilux ?

Edmund

It is a new generation CCD made by Kodak. It has 4 channels for data transfering (out of the sensor) and more electronic components attached to the sensor. In some sense, CMOS (back-illuminated designs) and CCDs are converging...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Leica s2
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »

Quote from: Nemo
It is a new generation CCD made by Kodak. It has 4 channels for data transfering (out of the sensor) and more electronic components attached to the sensor. In some sense, CMOS (back-illuminated designs) and CCDs are converging...

And soon is two years old.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

georgl

Leica s2
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:00 am »

"Soon" would mean then over 14 months...

Kitty

• http://
Leica s2
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2009, 07:44:41 am »

Edmund

So far Kodak CCD sensor is not slow. It is faster than Dalsa. Unless you are talking about faster CMOS sensor.
And I really agree with JR that Leica should focus on M8 first.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up