Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica s2  (Read 83705 times)

heinrichvoelkel

Leica s2
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »

Quote from: dfarkas
A P40+ back (no camera) is $20K. Same size sensor with same MP (within 7%).  An H3DII-39 is $22K. A new H3DII-31 is $18K.

Why shouldn't the S2 be worth $20K? Especially considering the advantages of the S2:

with the phase one I can buy all lenses and the body of choice ( Contax, Mamiya, Hasselblad ) NOW new and used, with Hasselblad I can buy all lenses NOW new and used, both have established pro support and service which actually does work..even Nikon and Canon do have something like CPS and NPS. Nobody knows how the Leica will support the S2 at a service level, I hope it will be quicker as with the M8...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:49:49 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

gwhitf

Leica s2
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 03:50:03 pm »

Why shouldn't the S2 be worth $20K? Especially considering the advantages of the S2:

I volunteer to do a side by side official test against a 5D2. Mirror up, strobe, tripod, real test. Final RAW files rezzed to 8.5"x11" CMYK magazine page. Sharpen to taste, then staple the prints to the wall and choose.

--------------------------------

5DII, with backup body (proven track record)
Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

S2, with backup body (unproven track record)
Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:50:38 pm by gwhitf »

arashm

Leica s2
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

David
Thank you for your note, but respectfully, see the thing is in my line of work once I get a brief form an ad agency, the next step is a "request for quote" or "request for proposal", nothing goes forward before numbers are laid out.
also it's a bit dangerous to do what Leica is doing, such a long wait period will turn some potential clients away.
You have to have the product ready to go once you build so much interest in the market, how many people do you think will put their gear purchase on hold and wait when they don't even have details ($$). This is not a little something your buying just for kicks where the price is not as major factor, at least I see this as a Major investment, (lease).
Plus all this dslr talk, honestly I find the D3X slightly over priced... so where does that leave us?!
Unfortunately wanting the best and your clients willing to pay for the best is a challenge in the commercial photography world.
I look forward to seeing solid numbers in the next few weeks, that should answer many questions.
but if they are high, well this will be another rental only item to me, which is too bad because I actually like the S2, the idea behind it, the glass (dah!) the vertical grip, and would love to see it succeed, but the world has changed in the last year....
be well
am

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Leica s2
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 04:12:10 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
I volunteer to do a side by side official test against a 5D2. Mirror up, strobe, tripod, real test. Final RAW files rezzed to 8.5"x11" CMYK magazine page. Sharpen to taste, then staple the prints to the wall and choose.

Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

that is funny ..
I might as well stick to my little 10mp camera with those tough size requirements..
if that is the size of the world you live in then you would be an absolute idiot to buy into the S2..
or even waste your time on such a test.. it was funny though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:12:59 pm by paulmoorestudio »

pschefz

Leica s2
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 04:59:29 pm »

i think we all want the S2 to succeed...and we probably all want one....
there are so many things absolutely great about it....it almost completely sums up what is wrong with existing DMF and why that market is dead (yes it is dead, like b&w film is dead....and thank god you can still get some somewhere....)
2 years ago i would have bought the S2....at almost any price...although that is a very dangerous thing to say with leica.....
now we are not only in different economic times, technology has evolved as well.....really any 2000$ DSLR provides full page mag work, the 5DII shoots cropped mag spreads at 1200iso...no problem....if someone needs ultimate resolution, DR,....from a tripod they will get a P65 with their existing kit, lenses, bodies and probably trade in or sell their P40 and keep things within reason....and have a bullet proof, proven kit seemlessly working within their existing workflow...and this not only means pros but amateurs as well...

for the S2 to succeed, leica needs to give away the body and try and make money on the lenses....there is no other way....i am sure some people will buy one regardless but it really is a bit heavy for the casual walk and i am not sure all these doctors who bought H1/2/3s or phase or even leaf systems inthe last couple of years will just dump all their stuff and learn new software.....just to play with an unproven system....

i know that the S2 sounds great, that DNG really should be everybody's raw format and that finder and lenses make my mouth water.....but for working people or someone with an existing kit it comes down to cash.....

i would love to rent one! but who will have it? we all just saw what happened with the Hy6!
and if i get that huge ad job with the huge budget i won't rent an unproven system anyway....

the real problem for me (which is why got rid of all my DMF stuff a year ago) is that DMF claims to shoot up to 800...great...i kinda liked that look with my P30....but the DR i get from my 5DII is much great at 800 then from any DMF! AND i can shoot at 1.4 or even 1.2.....

even if leica drops the bomb and sells the S2 with lens for 15000$, each additional lens will be in the 5-10000$ range....so in sept. i will write a check for 25000 for a body with 2 lenses.....or maybe save 20000 and get the D700x with 2 lenses instead? it just does not make sense for anyone working in photography....as sad as that might be....
schefz.com
artloch.com

tashley

Leica s2
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »

Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

Normal lens
Slight wide lens
Slight telephoto

My P45+ mounted on a Phamiya III is pretty damned good on a tripod with strobe. Doesn't even need mirror up (errr... strobe...) but put it in a real-world non-studio situation and it so often doesn't even struggle, just gives up. If the S2 can do decent ISO 800 or more and has less mirror and shutter slap, it wins. Then we start thinking about the relative system costs.

What you have outlined is one test. There are quite clearly many amongst us whose 'real worlds' are often rather different.

Tim

gwhitf

Leica s2
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 05:57:00 pm »

Quote from: tashley
My P45+ mounted on a Phamiya III is pretty damned good on a tripod with strobe. Doesn't even need mirror up (errr... strobe...) but put it in a real-world non-studio situation and it so often doesn't even struggle, just gives up. If the S2 can do decent ISO 800 or more and has less mirror and shutter slap, it wins.

I agree with you, (I think). Yesterday I shot a job with my P45+, and went all the way up to ASA 200. That was as far as I felt comfortable.

So I agree with you. That's why I think the Leica is more a competitor to the 5D2 or 1ds3 than it is to any other MF product out there, due to the 35 feel and the ASA range. I have no doubt that the Leica lenses will be stunning. But when the 5D2 offers clean ASA 800, plus 1.4 lenses rather than 2.5 lenses, then all of a sudden, you can show up to a job with Profoto 600's instead of Profoto 2400's. The money savings keeps getting more and more extreme, the more you play it out.

I consider this S2 a "big 35" rather than MF. And head to head with the 5D2, in this economy, I just smell trouble for Leica.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Leica s2
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 06:59:03 pm »

But when the 5D2 offers clean ASA 800, plus 1.4 lenses rather than 2.5 lenses, then all of a sudden, you can show up to a job with Profoto 600's instead of Profoto 2400's. The money savings keeps getting more and more extreme, the more you play it out.

Won't the S2 have shallower DOF at the same aperture compared to a FF 35mm? Has anyone done the math on a DOF comparison between a 5D2 f/1.4 vs S2 f/2.5?

Good point about the flashes.

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
Leica s2
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »

I agree with you, (I think). Yesterday I shot a job with my P45+, and went all the way up to ASA 200. That was as far as I felt comfortable.

So I agree with you. That's why I think the Leica is more a competitor to the 5D2 or 1ds3 than it is to any other MF product out there, due to the 35 feel and the ASA range. I have no doubt that the Leica lenses will be stunning. But when the 5D2 offers clean ASA 800, plus 1.4 lenses rather than 2.5 lenses, then all of a sudden, you can show up to a job with Profoto 600's instead of Profoto 2400's. The money savings keeps getting more and more extreme, the more you play it out.

I consider this S2 a "big 35" rather than MF. And head to head with the 5D2, in this economy, I just smell trouble for Leica.

Perhaps the small form factor and nice ergonomics are getting in the way here.   If the sensor is the same size and resolution (and pixel pitch) as a P40+, why is the P40+ considered medium format and the S2 a "big 35mm"?  

Also, regarding using an AcuteB 600R vs a Pro-7b 1200, how often are you using strobes at high ISO and wide apertures? I'd think that a selectable leaf shutter option would provide far more power savings when shooting with battery-operated strobes on location. If I can sync at 1/500th on an S2 vs. /125th on a Phamiya, I only need 1/4 the amount of power to overpower the sun/ambient while shooting at the same aperture. It also lets me shoot that shot with more modest apertures instead of f/22, where diffraction will rob you of detail. And while a Hasselblad can sync up to 1/800th, you are out of luck if you want to shoot oustide wide-open as the max shutter speed is limited to 1/800th vs. 1/4000th with an S2. Isn't professional shooting about flexibility in situations like this? This is especially important in markets like mine (Miami), where outdoor beach shoots are the norm. Being able to have one system with the ability to take a dynamic 80/20 shot with strobes, then just flip a switch and shoot an ethereal shallow DOF shot wide open would be a huge advantage. No switching bodies, using long teles to mimic shallow DOF, pesky ND filters, etc.

The other thing that I don't see discussed here is leasing. I love leasing. I just got a new laptop and put it on a lease. In our professional photo lab we lease 250K Durst printing machines, as well as 6K Epsons. I lease my car. Not only can you pay over time, but there are some really great tax advantages as well (usually, the entire monthly payment is fully deductible -  talk to your accountant first). If a full S2 systems costs you $900-1000 a month, you could offset that monthly cost with jobs, client charges, or rental fees to other photographers.

Just trying to offer a slightly different perspective here. I'll also be happy to do head-to-head testing (great blog material!), but I'd like to push that print size to 40x60 inches.   I can already make phenomenal 20x30s with my M8.2. If a 5DmkII wasn't able to make a decent 8.5x11, I'd be pretty worried. I'm pretty confident that the S2 with Leica glass, 37.5 MP, 56% larger sensor and no resolution-robbing AA filter will soundly beat the Canon with L glass on an AA-filtered 21 MP (with aggressive NR).

In my new (leased) laptop, I have two SSD drives in RAID 0. They are 4-8 times more expensive per GB than a spinning HDD. So, obviously, they are not worth the extra expense as they are "just drives", right? If you ask anyone who has switched, they will tell you that they never realized anything was wrong before, but they can never go back to a standard spinning platter drive. The crazy speed, total silence, lack of heat, and resistance to shock are all truly game-changing. I think once people start shooting with the S2 themselves, a lot of this kind of conversation and pessimism will fall by the wayside as I expect it to change the expectations of MFD. I have spoken to a lot of photographers who really like the S2 concept and are okay with the expected price. They are not doctors and lawyers, etc. They are photographers who want to get the best possible image quality with the least fuss and compromise. Some are coming from D3x and 5DmkIIs, while a fair amount are coming from (and trading in/selling) P45+ and H3DII-31/39 systems.

David

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

gwhitf

Leica s2
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 08:48:40 pm »

I have spoken to a lot of photographers who really like the S2 concept and are okay with the expected price. They are not doctors and lawyers, etc. They are photographers who want to get the best possible image quality with the least fuss and compromise. Some are coming from D3x and 5DmkIIs, while a fair amount are coming from (and trading in/selling) P45+ and H3DII-31/39 systems.

I hope the Leica works out, David.

I was just seeing what you were made of -- you held your own very well.

Everyone wants the best image quality, but the real question is, when time comes, when the thing finally ships -- will they actually write the check? (Lease or buy).

But I can't get anywhere near your opinion on leasing gear, versus buying. Always sounds great on paper, but never seems to pan out in real life:  http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/toptricks.htm

dfarkas

Leica s2
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 09:24:26 pm »

I hope the Leica works out, David.

I was just seeing what you were made of -- you held your own very well.

Everyone wants the best image quality, but the real question is, when time comes, when the thing finally ships -- will they actually write the check? (Lease or buy).

But I can't get anywhere near your opinion on leasing gear, versus buying. Always sounds great on paper, but never seems to pan out in real life:  http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/toptricks.htm

The leasing I'm talking about (cars aside) is purchasing. No tricks.

When you lease a car for 36 months, you are paying for the depreciation (MSRP - residual value after 3 years) plus interest. In other words if you lease a $40K car, you'll have to pay about $25K at the end of the lease to buy it. Or, you can just continue making payments and get a new car every 3 years. While this might seem crazy for some people (paying every month forever), it makes good business sense.

Equipment leasing can work like this. This type of lease is called a Fair Market Value lease. You pay month by month then have a fair market value buyout at the end, or you return the gear. Not such a great idea in my mind for capital equipment.  I prefer the $1 buyout lease. You pay month by month, then you pay your last payment plus one dollar and the equipment is yours. In other words, it is much more like a car loan. But, for tax reasons, you can deduct the entire payment as a line item expense. And, if you have a company or LLC, you can make the lease payment pre-tax. So, you get more purchasing power, and then also claim this is as a business expense, which then further reduces your tax obligation. (At least in the USA) If you buy for cash, you had to pay tax on your earnings so everything you buy automatically becomes more expensive. Then, you can only deduct your depreciation on a standard depreciation schedule. This is why leasing costs less overall, provided you have profits/income to write it off against.

Buying an S2 system on a 36 month $1 buyout lease for a photographer isn't much different than a pro lab buying a million dollars of printing equipment on a 5 year $1 buyout lease. Just a different scale, but all the advantages for the larger business are available to individuals as well.

I hope this makes more sense.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

pschefz

Leica s2
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »

if i could make phenomenal 20x30s from my m8, i would not need another camera.....but from my m8 i can make really, really nice 11x14s.....i CAN make great 20x30s from my 5dII and could go a bit bigger with the P30...i don't need to go bigger, i need usable 800iso...for many reasons....smaller flash packs and faster recycle are some, being able to light a shot with my (yes) iphone is another......

we are all aware of leasing options, but i am really happy i did not lease my equipment 3 years ago....i bought it and sold it while i still got some money for it....i would really hate to see how much the S2 is worth in 3 years....

i am sure canon/nikon will go to bigger chips....and along the way pick up a little from the RED concept...raw video, variable frame rates...all along with usable 30mpix files at 1600iso....maybe it won't all happen at once, maybe it will take 2 years, but it will happen....and it will cost less then 5000 for the body....and i really don't want to be writing 1000$/month checks for the S2 at that point....

btw: the SSD option in your laptop is great and i am looking into that as well right now....but you are getting 5x the performance for 10x the price....not 25% better image quality (at base iso) with fewer features (slower, slower af, accessories, workflow,...unproven, no rental,....) at 10x the price (comparing a 5Dii with the S2).....and the SSDs you put in this month will be outdated and their faster, bigger follow up models will be a fraction of the price in 8 months.....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:20:29 pm by pschefz »
schefz.com
artloch.com

arashm

Leica s2
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »

David
I agree with  you on the leasing thing, that's also how it works in Canada.

Do you have any news or personal thoughts on what's happening with the software for the S2 now that Phase is out?
will there be software for tethered shooting?
thanks
am

dfarkas

Leica s2
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2009, 12:18:01 am »

Quote from: pschefz
if i could make phenomenal 20x30s from my m8, i would not need another camera.....but from my m8 i can make really, really nice 11x14s.....i CAN make great 20x30s from my 5dII and could go a bit bigger with the P30...i don't need to go bigger, i need usable 800iso...for many reasons....smaller flash packs and faster recycle are some, being able to light a shot with my (yes) iphone is another......

I do routinely make 20x30s from my M8/M8.2 and they are excellent. In fact, all of my standard samples I show to customers are at this size. If I can't make a good 20x30, why should I bother shooting that camera? It helps to have good output, of course. This is another topic of discussion, though.

I will not stop using my M8.2 when I start shooting with the S2. They are entirely different systems for different types of photography and different applications.

we are all aware of leasing options, but i am really happy i did not lease my equipment 3 years ago....i bought it and sold it while i still got some money for it....i would really hate to see how much the S2 is worth in 3 years....

If the M8 is any indication of retained value, a used 3-year-old M8 currently sells for about $3100. Initially price was $4795, so it actually held 2/3rds of its value. Many Leica lenses are actually worth more used than their original purchaser paid 5-10 years ago. For various reasons, Leica equipment tends to retain value better than other brands.

i am sure canon/nikon will go to bigger chips....and along the way pick up a little from the RED concept...raw video, variable frame rates...all along with usable 30mpix files at 1600iso....maybe it won't all happen at once, maybe it will take 2 years, but it will happen....and it will cost less then 5000 for the body....and i really don't want to be writing 1000$/month checks for the S2 at that point....

Yes, the future is very interesting. I do doubt that Nikon and Canon will go larger than 35mm anytime soon.

The S2 will be just as fast and produce just as high quality files in 3 years as it will in 3 months from now. That is to say, for most applications, a MF camera that can shoot 1.5fps and give great 37.5MP output will be plenty for a long while. This is part of the reason behind the slowdown of MFDB. How many photographers need 60MP? At a certain point, these systems have to become more durable (not rugged, rather durable in the economic sense of lasting 3+ years). It is also very possible that the S2 will deliver good 37MP files at ISO 1600. Obviously, the proof will be in the actual results.

btw: the SSD option in your laptop is great and i am looking into that as well right now....but you are getting 5x the performance for 10x the price....not 25% better image quality (at base iso) with fewer features (slower, slower af, accessories, workflow,...unproven, no rental,....) at 10x the price (comparing a 5Dii with the S2).....and the SSDs you put in this month will be outdated and their faster, bigger follow up models will be a fraction of the price in 8 months.....

I agree. I did many hours of research before going in this direction. I chose the Samsung 256GB SSD because it reflects the latest technology. It is extremely fast for both read and write, and while not as fast at random 4K read/write as the Intel, it is way faster than the JMicron-based drives and standard HDDs. Also, it was half the price per GB and had a size that I though would be acceptable (80GB is just too small for my needs). I fully appreciate that in 12 months, I will be able to buy a drive with 2x as much capacity, 2x the performance (maybe), at half the price. But, I will be able to be more productive in those 12 months so my TCO will not be as high as it would seem. I will probably use the drives for 2 years, then change, but the performance will be the same as I get today (Samsung uses idle-time garbage collection as of July 1), which is to say still  extremely fast. You can always wait for next year's model to come along, but at a certain point you have to commit, otherwise you'll wait forever and get no utility.

Interestingly, the SSD technology from just a year ago seems antiquated and overpriced compared to today's solutions. I certainly wouldn't have even considered one just a few months ago. In many ways I see parallels to MFD. Not that long ago, MFDBs didn't even have LCDs or CF card storage. At the same time, consumer P&S cameras had both for a fraction of the cost. The IQ was there, but not the ergonomics. Things are improving, but too slowly. I think that Leica is making a statement by putting technology and features many take for granted in 35mm and bringing them to MFD, where they have been lacking. Weather sealing, DNG+JPG, hi-res LCD screen, wi-fi tethering, real-time image zooming, etc.

As to 25% better IQ... who can really quantify right now? When comparisons are done in the coming months (as I'm sure they will be), we'll see. The truth is, SSDs are a rare exception to the rule of diminishing returns. Many say it is the upgrade with the single biggest impact on user experience and system performance. If you upgrade your CPU from a 2.66 to a 3.06, expect to pay double for an incremental increase in performance. If you buy a Lexus IS350 for $36K, you can go 0-60 in 5.6 secs. If you get a BMW M3 for $55K you go 0-60 in 4.6 secs. And, if you pay $135K for a Porsche 911 Turbo, you can save one more second at 3.5 sec. So, is 1 second "worth" $20K to go from Lexus to M3, or is 1 second "worth" $80K to go from M3 to 911? There are even companies that will tune a 911 Turbo to shave off 1/2 sec - it will only double the cost of the car. This is classic diminishing returns. Cameras and lenses are no different, just much less money.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

dfarkas

Leica s2
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2009, 12:25:55 am »

Quote from: arashm
David
I agree with  you on the leasing thing, that's also how it works in Canada.

Do you have any news or personal thoughts on what's happening with the software for the S2 now that Phase is out?
will there be software for tethered shooting?
thanks
am

Back at PMA, there was discussion about Adobe. Even going back to Photokina, the sample S2 shots were being displayed using Lightroom. From a workflow standpoint, Lightroom would be a great solution, if Leica decides to go that way. Because the files are native DNG and because the lenses don't require any s/w correction, you could use any s/w that reads a DNG. If you like Aperture, use that. If you want to bring files straight into CS4, go for it. I believe that C1 reads DNG files now, but I have no idea if S2 DNGs will be allowed to be opened/imported or not.

As far as tethering, the last I heard is maybe using some simple utility to load the files into a hot folder. Not sure how the wi-fi tethering will work either. I'm hoping Leica will release some final tech specs and software directions along with pricing this month.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

cyberean

Leica s2
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2009, 12:46:05 am »

Quote from: feppe
Won't the S2 have shallower DOF at the same aperture compared to a FF 35mm? Has anyone done the math on a DOF comparison between a 5D2 f/1.4 vs S2 f/2.5?
f/2.5 on S2 = f/2 on 35FF

cyberean

Leica s2
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2009, 01:29:17 am »

If the M8 is any indication of retained value, a used 3-year-old M8 currently sells for about $3100. Initially price was $4795, so it actually held 2/3rds of its value.
actually the used M8s sell closer to $2500/2600 these days, through private party sales.

Many Leica lenses are actually worth more used than their original purchaser paid 5-10 years ago. For various reasons, Leica equipment tends to retain value better than other brands.
this is somewhat misleading.
the "many" Leica lenses you are referring to are rangefinder-based (M and/or LTM) lenses that are backwards and forwards compatible with just about every/any Leica rangefinder camera made in the last 50yrs.  ... a major factor in their appeal, longevity and desirability.  
and those lenses deemed even more desirable are driven by their rarity and/or collector value ... and thus are valued accordingly.

i think it's wishful thinking to suggest that the S system (or, frankly, any modern built-for-obsolescence system ... Leica or not) will follow suit of the M system, in terms of widespread appeal, durability, longevity and thus retained value (... just as the R system never has, and doubtfully ever will).  and the fact that the S-system lenses are CPU-controlled pretty much assures their fate will mirror that of the S2.  

...  not every Porsche is a 356 or a 911.
but i suspect you already know that.

narikin

Leica s2
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2009, 02:42:59 am »

I have spoken to a lot of photographers who really like the S2 concept and are okay with the expected price. They are not doctors and lawyers, etc. They are photographers who want to get the best possible image quality with the least fuss and compromise. Some are coming from D3x and 5DmkIIs, while a fair amount are coming from (and trading in/selling) P45+ and H3DII-31/39 systems.
really? Photographers are trading in their P45's for S2 cameras that are not released. how do they do that?

markowich

• http://www.peter-markowich.net
Leica s2
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2009, 03:59:35 am »

sorry david, but 20x30 prints with the m8 just do not cut it for serious fine art photographers. maybe if you have not seen what 50mpx can do. the
37mpx of the S2 maybe ok for fashion photographers but people who need to really print big will always look for max res.
peter

Perhaps the small form factor and nice ergonomics are getting in the way here.   If the sensor is the same size and resolution (and pixel pitch) as a P40+, why is the P40+ considered medium format and the S2 a "big 35mm"?  

Also, regarding using an AcuteB 600R vs a Pro-7b 1200, how often are you using strobes at high ISO and wide apertures? I'd think that a selectable leaf shutter option would provide far more power savings when shooting with battery-operated strobes on location. If I can sync at 1/500th on an S2 vs. /125th on a Phamiya, I only need 1/4 the amount of power to overpower the sun/ambient while shooting at the same aperture. It also lets me shoot that shot with more modest apertures instead of f/22, where diffraction will rob you of detail. And while a Hasselblad can sync up to 1/800th, you are out of luck if you want to shoot oustide wide-open as the max shutter speed is limited to 1/800th vs. 1/4000th with an S2. Isn't professional shooting about flexibility in situations like this? This is especially important in markets like mine (Miami), where outdoor beach shoots are the norm. Being able to have one system with the ability to take a dynamic 80/20 shot with strobes, then just flip a switch and shoot an ethereal shallow DOF shot wide open would be a huge advantage. No switching bodies, using long teles to mimic shallow DOF, pesky ND filters, etc.

The other thing that I don't see discussed here is leasing. I love leasing. I just got a new laptop and put it on a lease. In our professional photo lab we lease 250K Durst printing machines, as well as 6K Epsons. I lease my car. Not only can you pay over time, but there are some really great tax advantages as well (usually, the entire monthly payment is fully deductible -  talk to your accountant first). If a full S2 systems costs you $900-1000 a month, you could offset that monthly cost with jobs, client charges, or rental fees to other photographers.

Just trying to offer a slightly different perspective here. I'll also be happy to do head-to-head testing (great blog material!), but I'd like to push that print size to 40x60 inches.   I can already make phenomenal 20x30s with my M8.2. If a 5DmkII wasn't able to make a decent 8.5x11, I'd be pretty worried. I'm pretty confident that the S2 with Leica glass, 37.5 MP, 56% larger sensor and no resolution-robbing AA filter will soundly beat the Canon with L glass on an AA-filtered 21 MP (with aggressive NR).

In my new (leased) laptop, I have two SSD drives in RAID 0. They are 4-8 times more expensive per GB than a spinning HDD. So, obviously, they are not worth the extra expense as they are "just drives", right? If you ask anyone who has switched, they will tell you that they never realized anything was wrong before, but they can never go back to a standard spinning platter drive. The crazy speed, total silence, lack of heat, and resistance to shock are all truly game-changing. I think once people start shooting with the S2 themselves, a lot of this kind of conversation and pessimism will fall by the wayside as I expect it to change the expectations of MFD. I have spoken to a lot of photographers who really like the S2 concept and are okay with the expected price. They are not doctors and lawyers, etc. They are photographers who want to get the best possible image quality with the least fuss and compromise. Some are coming from D3x and 5DmkIIs, while a fair amount are coming from (and trading in/selling) P45+ and H3DII-31/39 systems.

David

tashley

Leica s2
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2009, 03:59:53 am »

Quote from: narikin
really? Photographers are trading in their P45's for S2 cameras that are not released. how do they do that?

They do it by stating their intention, as have I, to do the trade in when they get the chance provided certain conditions are met -  such as price and performance of the S2 coming in wherever that particular photographer expects them to.

I see the whole thing like this:

A lot of people own, rather than rent, expensive MF systems that they find less than satisfactory for whatever reasons. And it seems that a fair number of them are hoping that the S2 will provide them with a viable alternative. We all know that it's likely to cost, wide ballpark, $20,000 and at that price it seems that some people will consider it viable and others not. That must depend on the economics of each photographer. There seems to be a lot of steam on this thread to the effect that this price is too much. Well, if that's the case for any individual they won't buy it; and if Leica misjudges the economics of the whole situation they'll lose money!

But to imply somehow (and I'm not saying that you personally are implying this but it is in the air around here I think!) that there's a moral dimension to S2 pricing is not something with which I have any sympathy...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up