Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using M645 Leaf shutter lenses on Mamiya AFd  (Read 3100 times)

jing q

• we are super
Using M645 Leaf shutter lenses on Mamiya AFd
« on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:56 am »

I managed to work my M645 Leaf shutter lens (55mm) on my AFd II body with leaf back.
It's a very crude solution so here goes.It works best if the camera is tripod mounted and in a fixed position
First you cock the leaf shutter, mount the lens,focus on the point that you need to focus on., set the M/A part to M for aperture stopdown, and M.UP to M (not sure what difference this step makes actually) .
Next, you unmount the lens and push the silver knob that triggers off the leaf shutter.
Now, you are going to cock the leaf shutter very gently, but instead of fully cocking it, you cock it to the point where the leaf shutter opens up and you hear a small click, but then when you let go the blades should close again.
Attach a cable release to the leaf shutter lens.
Now you set the AFd body to 1 second or however fast you think you can manage to synchronise the speed, and you set the leaf shutter speed you want.

Fire the AFd body, and then press down the cable release, and the leaf shutter should fire off.
This should work!

For subsequent images, as long as the focus point and composition remains the same, just repeat the cocking and firing action I mentioned to enable the use of the leaf shutter lens

Let me know if anyone finds this useful

Snook

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:45 am »

Quote from: jing q
I managed to work my M645 Leaf shutter lens (55mm) on my AFd II body with leaf back.
It's a very crude solution so here goes.It works best if the camera is tripod mounted and in a fixed position
First you cock the leaf shutter, mount the lens,focus on the point that you need to focus on., set the M/A part to M for aperture stopdown, and M.UP to M (not sure what difference this step makes actually) .
Next, you unmount the lens and push the silver knob that triggers off the leaf shutter.
Now, you are going to cock the leaf shutter very gently, but instead of fully cocking it, you cock it to the point where the leaf shutter opens up and you hear a small click, but then when you let go the blades should close again.
Attach a cable release to the leaf shutter lens.
Now you set the AFd body to 1 second or however fast you think you can manage to synchronise the speed, and you set the leaf shutter speed you want.

Fire the AFd body, and then press down the cable release, and the leaf shutter should fire off.
This should work!

For subsequent images, as long as the focus point and composition remains the same, just repeat the cocking and firing action I mentioned to enable the use of the leaf shutter lens

Let me know if anyone finds this useful

Sounds to complicated for my line of work but thanks for the heads up..
I have the 55/80/150 and been missing them for many years..:+{
 Do not understand why Mamiya or someone does not or did not make some kind of adaptor to use it with the newer body
Instead they have just promised Leafshutter lens in the future which is still Vaporware!!!
Snook

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

Quote from: Snook
Sounds to complicated for my line of work but thanks for the heads up..
I have the 55/80/150 and been missing them for many years..:+{
 Do not understand why Mamiya or someone does not or did not make some kind of adaptor to use it with the newer body
Instead they have just promised Leafshutter lens in the future which is still Vaporware!!!
Snook

if only there was some way to trigger off that little knob at the back of the lens...that would make life so much easier.
it's not so complicated once you get used to it. Kind of like using a large format camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up