Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some feedback on Camera purchase  (Read 1354 times)

One Frame at a Time

Need some feedback on Camera purchase
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:57 pm »

Hi,  I am a long time shooter 35 yrs with solid digital experience.  I have been waiting for a camera like the 50D to arrive.  I had a 10D and now use an XSi because I hike and ski with the camera often.  I put most of my faith (and energy) in good glass.  I have found the bodies adequate for the shooting I do.  I love the low weight of the XSi (but miss the higher frame rate), especially while skiing with the 100-400 chest mounted.  The D50 seems to be worth the extra 8 ounces due to faster drive and much better focus system etc.

The D5 Mark II is giving me pause on pulling the trigger on the D50.  I was thinking of buying a good video camera this year and trying my hand at doing some ski / sno video making.  The Mark II sounds like it will get me into the game and still carry just one camera.  Squeezing off a full res still, while shooting video at the same instant is the stuff of dreams!  The trouble is: I keep hearing about how bad the focus system is on the Mark II.   Questions:

Could the focus system on the new D5 be worse than the Rebel (old XSi or new XTi ver)?  

Can I really produce good video with the Mark II on the snow or am I kidding myself?  The lack of motor zoom is a biggie to consider.
Any thing else that I should consider?

I know most can't answer with hands on experience because the camera is not released, but winter is fast approaching and I am trying to make a decision to buy two cameras (one still, one video) now, or wait until the new 5D is shipping.  Would welcome anyone's opinion especially if you have some serious video experience.  

Thanks!  

Paul

spidermike

Need some feedback on Camera purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:57:11 am »

Quote from: One Frame at a Time
The trouble is: I keep hearing about how bad the focus system is on the Mark II.   Questions:

I've not seen any comments that the AF is bad, people are put out that it used the same AF systyem as the MkI rather than the 'new' AF system fitted to the 50D. This if from Rob Galbraith's column (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9607):
Somewhat surprisingly, Canon has not adopted the 40D/50D's AF system which, on paper, is superior, given that all nine of its AF points are cross-type. Canon USA's Westfall says the reason for that is the "6 Assist AF points plus center point were deemed to provide a higher level of performance for AI Servo AF than the center point-only arrangement of the [40D and] 50D." Given that we've previously found the overall autofocus performance of the 5D to be decent, while the 40D's tracking capability has been erratic at best, Canon has likely chosen the better of the two AF systems for the 5D Mark II.

Basically until someone gets one for a serious session, all comments are speculation, willy-waving or axe-grinding. Personally, I think it is going to surprise a few people.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up