Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run C1 Pro 4.5 and C1 Pro 3.7x on same PC  (Read 2290 times)

Paul Sumi

Run C1 Pro 4.5 and C1 Pro 3.7x on same PC
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:44:13 pm »

Does anyone know if one can run both Capture One Pro 4.5 and 3.7X on the same Windows PC?  I've heard mixed reactions to C1 Pro 4.5 and want to be able to revert back to C1 Pro 4.78 if necessary.

Thanks,

Paul

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:02:28 pm »

did you ever get an answer to this?
Thanks,
Tyler

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:52 pm »

Quote from: TylerB
did you ever get an answer to this?

I got a reply on the "Retouching" section on DPreview, which was "yes."  So I've now got both versions co-existing on my XP SP3 machine.  Still figuring out the new GUI on 4.5.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:17:10 pm by PaulS »

The Vulcan

• http://www.f4foto.org
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:23:40 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
I got a reply on the "Retouching" section on DPreview, which was "yes."  So I've now got both versions co-existing on my XP SP3 machine.  Still figuring out the new GUI on 4.5.

Paul

I would be interested to hear your opinions as I am considering this software. Please keep us posted and thanks

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:53:10 pm »

Quote from: The Vulcan
I would be interested to hear your opinions as I am considering this software. Please keep us posted and thanks

Full disclosure: I'm a non-pro, low volume user so I'm not going to wring the software out under production conditions.  For example, if you're interested in how it performs tethered, I am NOT your man.    

But I'll be testing it against C1 Pro 3.78 and Adobe Photoshop ACR 4.6 based on my own usage and preferences and will be happy to share my impressions.

Also, there is a 30 day trial version of 4.5 on the Phase One site so you can try it out on your own.

Best,

Paul

tmx3

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:38 pm »

I brought and installed 4 Pro today and my initial reaction is very disappointed. Keyboard shortcuts have been changed - well frankly the whole intreface has - its like a different raw converter all together. What made 3.7 so good was it was an elegant, intuitive and simple interface. 4 seems to try and cram everything into the different "tools" making it very cluttered (now called "tabs" which while being more acurate indicates the level of name changing for different functions, which is very irratating).  3.7 required the user to use preferences, nested functions in drop downs etc ; now all of this seems to be cramped into the tabs.  I have to learn how to use this because i'm sure at sooner or later the photographers i work for will be using it, but I really despair at the way companies fiddle around with something great because they feel they have to at the expense of users -  if it aint broke etc...  rather like mac removing matt screens as an option for macbook pro (unless you fork out two grand for a top of the range one). Incidently, have gone a little off topic,  I am pleased that 3.7 still runs fine independently on my mac pro - i was thinking i was going to have to start messing around with externals so i could run both...  

: )

craigwashburn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:03:04 pm »

Quote from: tmx3
I brought and installed 4 Pro today and my initial reaction is very disappointed. Keyboard shortcuts have been changed - well frankly the whole intreface has - its like a different raw converter all together. What made 3.7 so good was it was an elegant, intuitive and simple interface. 4 seems to try and cram everything into the different "tools" making it very cluttered (now called "tabs" which while being more acurate indicates the level of name changing for different functions, which is very irratating).  3.7 required the user to use preferences, nested functions in drop downs etc ; now all of this seems to be cramped into the tabs.  I have to learn how to use this because i'm sure at sooner or later the photographers i work for will be using it, but I really despair at the way companies fiddle around with something great because they feel they have to at the expense of users -  if it aint broke etc...  rather like mac removing matt screens as an option for macbook pro (unless you fork out two grand for a top of the range one). Incidently, have gone a little off topic,  I am pleased that 3.7 still runs fine independently on my mac pro - i was thinking i was going to have to start messing around with externals so i could run both...  

: )

It is a very different program.  In fact, its different enough you should not approach it as an update to 3.7 - approach it as an entirely new program with new shortcuts to learn.  I think this is what has bothered many people - dogs too old to learn new tricks I guess...  The settings work differently too - ie, applying contrast of 20 in 4.5 will not look the same as doing that in 3.7...

I keep 3.7 around because I have thousands of files with settings saved from it.  4 cannot read those settings files (P1 explained this to me as because since the various algorithms are different, theres no point in reading the old settings)

All in all having worked with 4 LE since it came out, I've found I like the workflow better than 3.7's.  Spend a day or two with it to get used to it.  I have not grabbed pro version yet, am glad to see the initial bugs were worked out pretty fast.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up