Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration not working? luminosity & White Point  (Read 7086 times)

mda

Calibration not working? luminosity & White Point
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »

Hi - hopefully someone will have some insight for me.
I am having a strange problem with my LCD monitors and calibration.

The monitors are LCD
Samsung 740T
Samsung 740B

Calibration tool - i1 display2
Vista
Geforce 7300 card

The calibration has worked great in the past, i have had the system for about 2 years now.
Recently though, i am experiencing problems with the Luminosity targeting and the White Point manipulation while calibrating.
The Luminosity, when calibrating, cannot be moved above 60?  Having no way to reach the 120 target.
When trying to adjust the White Point (when not using Native, as i had in the past) settings, the moving up and down of the RGB seems to do nothing at all to shift the color.

This all results, as you could imagine, as incorrect color.  My reds (in CS) have been pumped up, and the dark levels are all too high, but then print out too dark.

Any idea on what the culprit could be?

There are 2 different monitors, and they both exhibit the same problem, so i'm not sure that they are the problem.
(when loading past profiles, it seems to go back to somewhat normal, but not really)

I've taken great care of the puck, so i'm not sure that it could be broken or something?

Any help would be fantastic!!!!
Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a LCD replacement in the $300 to $400 range, feel free to mention...

Thanks so much!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »

Quote from: mda
Hi - hopefully someone will have some insight for me.
I am having a strange problem with my LCD monitors and calibration.

The monitors are LCD
Samsung 740T
Samsung 740B

Calibration tool - i1 display2
Vista
Geforce 7300 card

The calibration has worked great in the past, i have had the system for about 2 years now.
Recently though, i am experiencing problems with the Luminosity targeting and the White Point manipulation while calibrating.
The Luminosity, when calibrating, cannot be moved above 60?  Having no way to reach the 120 target.
When trying to adjust the White Point (when not using Native, as i had in the past) settings, the moving up and down of the RGB seems to do nothing at all to shift the color.

This all results, as you could imagine, as incorrect color.  My reds (in CS) have been pumped up, and the dark levels are all too high, but then print out too dark.

Any idea on what the culprit could be?

There are 2 different monitors, and they both exhibit the same problem, so i'm not sure that they are the problem.
(when loading past profiles, it seems to go back to somewhat normal, but not really)

I've taken great care of the puck, so i'm not sure that it could be broken or something?

Any help would be fantastic!!!!
Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a LCD replacement in the $300 to $400 range, feel free to mention...

Thanks so much!

It seems to be colorimeter malfunction. Try to check it - if it's i1, there's a dignostics software on X-rite site:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx...;SoftwareID=506
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mda

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:52:36 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
It seems to be colorimeter malfunction. Try to check it - if it's i1, there's a dignostics software on X-rite site:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx...;SoftwareID=506

Thanks Czornyj,
I forgot about that tool...  Unfortunately all tests were "successful"  and a "Pass" for the overall test.

So i'm still at square one.

The View

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:07:14 pm »

Thanks Czornyj,
I forgot about that tool...  Unfortunately all tests were "successful"  and a "Pass" for the overall test.

So i'm still at square one.

I also got some weird luminosity results in advance mode of the i1d2.

When I recalibrated today, my 24" white iMacs luminosity level was measured as 85 cd/2. That was three bars up from the minimum brightness, where I had set it 6 weeks ago to reach 120 cd2.

Now I cranked up the brightness to 50% of maximum brightness to reach 120 cd/2.

This is weird. I wonder if some changes in system software can cause this.

As you are Windows and I am on a Mac I just wonder what's going on. Because my i1d2 also passed the check-up software test.

PS: the images look the same even when I switch from the 6 week old profile to the new one.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

mda

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:57:19 pm »

For more background troubleshooting.

I've also updated all drivers -  Graphics Card and newest version of the Match3 software.
Tried to calibrate again, with same bad results,

then rolled back the graphics drivers to 2 or 3 previous versions, and went to the older Match3 software - and again, the same results.

As a note for calibrating the white point.  When at the point where to adjust each slider, they look like this:

Red = 100%
Green = 0%
Blue = 100%

when i change these with the monitor controls, the color shifts on screen - but the software doesn't read the changes.
Which is the same effect as the Luminance - the screen changes but the software doesn't recognize it.

This would say that it's the software - but the old version used to work just fine, and doesn't now -
as well as the puck passes all the x-rite tests........

Very frustrating, as i don't feel like investing in a whole new system, just to solve a problem, or rather - ignore it.

The View

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:43:18 pm »

If you have an LCD display, use "native white point" and 2.2 gamma.

If you don't use native white point, you will get a color cast.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

mda

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:49:58 pm »

Yeah,
I used to experiment with 5000 and 5500,
but have been actually using Native White point for a while now -  like the past year i guess.

But this problem has just started within the last few weeks.

THanks though...

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 04:06:35 pm »

Quote from: The View
If you have an LCD display, use "native white point" and 2.2 gamma.

If you don't use native white point, you will get a color cast.

Ah........no. Use native white if your monitor and calibration tool can not do a reasonable job of smoothing the tonal loss that will occur from making the adjustments in the video card. That being said there is no reason to use native unless you don't care about a screen to print match. If you need them to match native is not the answer. There is no correlation between not using native and getting a cast. Actually the opposite is more likely to be true unless the display manufacturer actually produces the
white point you want.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:52:21 pm »

Yeah,
I used to experiment with 5000 and 5500,
but have been actually using Native White point for a while now -  like the past year i guess.

But this problem has just started within the last few weeks.

THanks though...

Have you checked to make sure that some color utility hasn't been applied in the last couple of weeks?  Something like Adobe Gamma or perhaps some wonderful goodie from MS?
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up