Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need new tripod (architecture)  (Read 2979 times)

stacibeth

need new tripod (architecture)
« on: October 19, 2008, 12:51:40 am »

I need a new tripod and head for shooting architecture/interiors. So exact leveling and precise angles is a must.

I have heard great things of the manfrotto 410 head,

but have heard nothing about legs. I have no idea what legs to buy????? Any suggestions and reccommendations are greatly appreciated!

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:03:05 pm »

Hi Stacibeth,

I'm not familiar with the head you mentioned but I just recently looked into and bought a new tripod system. My work is about 99% architectural interior design photography. I try to level the camera as good as possible but that is not as critical as other factors about a tripod. I think most any tripod will get your camera level. Ease of use is a big factor to me. Most important in my consideration of a new tripod was height, as in taller the better. I finally bought a Gitzo GT5561SGT with a center column (about 18 inches I think) and a Gitzo quick release three way head. Its carbon fiber. I wore out two big heavy Bogens over the last 20 years and am totally loving using the Gitzo and regretting not dumping the Bogens much sooner. I really disliked my last Bogen which constantly needed tightening of nuts to keep the legs from slipping which I think may be the same with the Manfrotto legs, as it is on one of their smaller tripods I bought about 4-5 years ago. In short I'd have to recommend Gitzo to you. Their new leg locking system is great. Easy to use in all kinds of leg configurations and lightweight.

Peter

stacibeth

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked the gitzo out on b and h and its seems a bit pricey

i'd like to keep it under $500

any other reccommendations?

Bob Golden

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »

Quote from: stacibeth
I need a new tripod and head for shooting architecture/interiors. So exact leveling and precise angles is a must.

I have heard great things of the manfrotto 410 head,

but have heard nothing about legs. I have no idea what legs to buy????? Any suggestions and reccommendations are greatly appreciated!

The 410 is a great head for architectural photos. Each of the three orthogonal controls work in both rapid (it declutches) and fine movement. My camera (film type) allowed me to change the focusing screen to a grid with lines spaced 6 mm apart The combination of the head and focusing screen is great for architecture shots. I use an old Bogen 3021 tripod. You'll probably find one more suitable.

Bob Golden
Bob Golden

Burke, VA

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »

Quote from: stacibeth
...its seems a bit pricey

Price, weight, or quality -- pick two.  I'm strongly considering a Sachtler 4588 as my next purchase.  That said, I am currently using a Giottos and it's adequate; this one is actually a new, improved version of the one I have.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:53 am »

I'm probably a bit unusual here. I use a 410 head and the 058b legs. The 058b legs are extremely quick to ste up and level even on uneven ground. I've used this or earlier versions for 30 years now. It is heavy and big, but rock solid and quick. About 3 years ago I switched to the 410 head, which was a big leap from a 3-way head.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

stacibeth

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:58 pm »

The 058b legs look great.  Do the make an adapter of  the dual positioning center column for those legs.

Anyone know?

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:28:47 pm »

I recently got the 410 head (more for copy work than architectural) and am very happy with it.  It's very easy to achieve and maintain precise framing and alignment with it.

Nill

Dansk

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08:14 pm »

475B is a tough, durable, versatile tri pod I use it all the time with a 229D head in or out of the studio it cover 95% of all my uses
Pages: [1]   Go Up