Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 Open File In Second Monitor  (Read 20042 times)

Jim Titschler

CS4 Open File In Second Monitor
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:41:21 pm »

I use dual monitors, one for palettes and one for image viewing. In CS3 if I closed a file in my second monitor the next file I opened would open in the second monitor. However with CS4 the files always open in the first monitor with the palettes. It is a pain to manually move the file over each time after opening. Any advice on how to get files to open where they were closed like in CS3?

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:56 am »

Quote from: Jim Titschler
I use dual monitors, one for palettes and one for image viewing. In CS3 if I closed a file in my second monitor the next file I opened would open in the second monitor. However with CS4 the files always open in the first monitor with the palettes. It is a pain to manually move the file over each time after opening. Any advice on how to get files to open where they were closed like in CS3?
I've been using 2 monitors with CS3, but I don't yet have CS4.  I would try moving the pallettes to the second monitor and then save the workspace as a new default.  Then, even if your pictures still open on monitor 1, youve got the effect you want.

Jim Titschler

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:04 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I've been using 2 monitors with CS3, but I don't yet have CS4.  I would try moving the pallettes to the second monitor and then save the workspace as a new default.  Then, even if your pictures still open on monitor 1, youve got the effect you want.

The problem is the image always opens on the monitor that has the palettes. I toggle between Bridge and Photoshop palettes on one monitor, and use the second monitor for images only.

The odd thing is that it worked perfectly in CS3.

Jim Titschler

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 10:20:54 am »

I should note, it is not just a matter of which monitor the file opens in. When opening a file it opens on the same place of the monitor with the palettes (behind some of  the palettes).

Once again the CS3 program remembered where the previous file was closed, and opened the next file in the same position (same monitor and same position on that monitor).

This must be a bug or an oversight. I think if there was a simple solution Mr. Schewe would have stepped in with a solution.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:51:32 pm »

Quote from: Jim Titschler
I should note, it is not just a matter of which monitor the file opens in. When opening a file it opens on the same place of the monitor with the palettes (behind some of  the palettes).

Once again the CS3 program remembered where the previous file was closed, and opened the next file in the same position (same monitor and same position on that monitor).

This must be a bug or an oversight. I think if there was a simple solution Mr. Schewe would have stepped in with a solution.

Well CS3 had not such a fix layout like cs4. Cs 4 is a little more like lightroom and so I'm not suprised that the windows always open in the window where Cs4 is located.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Jim Titschler

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:24:04 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
Well CS3 had not such a fix layout like cs4. Cs 4 is a little more like lightroom and so I'm not suprised that the windows always open in the window where Cs4 is located.

I Don't know what you mean. There are more palettes available, however I am able to size and place them as I wish, and save the workspace.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:25:01 pm by Jim Titschler »

stewarthemley

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »

Jim, sorry this is so brief (typing between processing images for an impatient client tomorrow!) but you could try Application Frame. It's somewhere in one of the top menus. I had the same problem and it fixed it.  Though now I can't seem to open Bridge by just pushing command open as I could with CS3...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:24:58 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
Not the case at all. Other than there are no pop up pallettes for adjustment layers. Which is a very minor tweak.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »

Jim - I've been using CS4 for a while on and I have never noticed the problem you mention. I have [on Mac] left screen as my main monitor, with dock and file menu and then place pallettes on right monitor.
I always use the application frame as it's so much better than previous clumsy interface, so let us know which platform you are using and if on the Mac whether the app frame is enabled.

jjj

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:36:38 pm »

Quote from: stewarthemley
.  Though now I can't seem to open Bridge by just pushing command open as I could with CS3...
Cmd/Cntl+O has always opened Finder/Explorer by default. Cmd/Cntrl+Alt+O opens Bridge.
Or click on Bridge Icon next to PS icon at top left.
You can always change this around with the keyboard shortcuts tweaker Cmd/Cntrl+Shft+Alt+K.
Also new to the Mac is the ability to double click on the grey background of blank app frame to open Finder Open dialogue. Though since Bridge appeared I stopped using that useful shortcut.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:37:19 pm by jjj »

Jim Titschler

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29:08 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Jim - I've been using CS4 for a while on and I have never noticed the problem you mention. I have [on Mac] left screen as my main monitor, with dock and file menu and then place pallettes on right monitor.
I always use the application frame as it's so much better than previous clumsy interface, so let us know which platform you are using and if on the Mac whether the app frame is enabled.

I tried using the application frame as suggested, however the window is always open on my second monitor even if no file is open. Also I prefer to have the file by itself displayed, not in another window. However having some of the tools close at hand when a file is open is an advantage.

stewarthemley

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:08:55 am »

Cheers jjj. Alt+cmd+O opens Bridge in CS4 and cmd+O opens CS4 in Bridge.

jjj

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:52 pm »

Some more shortcuts that are handy - In Bridge CS4 Cmd/Cntrl+R opens into ACR and press spacebar to view images full screen [you can click to view 100%]. In this mode you can rate, label or rotate by using just numbers or brackets with no modifier keys and similarly if you want to edit in ACR press 'R' and to open into PS press 'O'. A nice way of working. Subtly different from before, but much better.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:46:20 pm »

I just switched to CS4 and have the exact same issue as Jim, the OP.  It used to work perfectly in CS3, but now images open behind my pallets on the wrong monitor, not the one I want images displayed on.  I have saved a custom workspace and closed the previous image on my larger monitor, but PS doesn't seem to want to open the images on the screen that I want them on.  Not the same behavior as CS3.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

paulbk

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 06:01:03 pm »

Just a thought, are you saving your 'work space' in Photoshop?

I use two monitors, image window on one, pallets on the another. Save work space.  Works fine. Every time I open a file I get the working arrangement (work space) I saved. This worked for XP, Vista, and now Win7.

Menu sequence: Window > Work Space > Save Workspace (give it a name and save it)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:02:26 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

It may be working differently on a mac.  Custom workspace.  Everything is saved except for image location.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

sonarthug

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 03:08:53 pm »

We finally upgraded to CS4 from CS3 on a Mac.
When opening a file, new or existing, it is placed behind all my panels on my secondary monitor. I can't figure out how to open them on the other monitor. I have saved and trashed and resaved workspaces with images open on the main monitor. I never had this problem in CS3.
On my secondary monitor, I have everything. Toolbar, tools, panels etc. On my Primary view monitor, I have nothing but the image. Currently, I have to move a panel out of the way so I can grab the head of the file and drag it to the primary monitor. Can anyone help me with having my images open on the Primary monitor.

The attached image is from CS3. CS4 puts the image directly behind anything on the right side monitor.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 06:27:49 pm »

Quote from: sonarthug
We finally upgraded to CS4 from CS3 on a Mac.
When opening a file, new or existing, it is placed behind all my panels on my secondary monitor. I can't figure out how to open them on the other monitor. I have saved and trashed and resaved workspaces with images open on the main monitor. I never had this problem in CS3.
On my secondary monitor, I have everything. Toolbar, tools, panels etc. On my Primary view monitor, I have nothing but the image. Currently, I have to move a panel out of the way so I can grab the head of the file and drag it to the primary monitor. Can anyone help me with having my images open on the Primary monitor.

The attached image is from CS3. CS4 puts the image directly behind anything on the right side monitor.

I don't know if a MAC is similar to a PC, but if so then looking at your screen capture I would say that the monitor with the tools on (right) is your main monitor (#1) as I see the toolbar along the bottom (if you can move a toolbar from screen 1 to screen 2 on a MAC then ignore this post   Otherwise if you check you screen settings and click the Identify button I think your left will show a 2 and you right a 1.  If that is so then you need to resolve that and your problem will be solved.
By the way when I've had this problem the only way I've resolved it is to turn off my PC, then pull the cord from the video card from the secondary screen and reboot it.  The secondary screen can then be re-attached and it will come up with an identity #2.

Mike

hughomalley

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »

This is a workaround for the mac.  I guess it is an issue with the software but this works for me.

On a mac, in display preferences, I drag the dock to be on the screen where i want the photoshop image to load.  yes it means you have to have your dock and your menubar on the screen you edit your photoshop file on.  You can always choose 'turn hiding on' for the dock and all you lose of screen space is your menu bar being on the top of the screen.

Any way, end result, your photoshop file opens in the window where the dock is and reads that window as being the main display.  not a perfect fix but stops you having to drag the image over every BLOODY time.  it was driving me mental.

hope that's sufficient for you.  I'd imagine it's similar in windows.  setting the primary display to be your editing monitor.

Hugh O'Malley Fashion and Beauty Photographer London
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:19:50 pm by hughomalley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up