Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 4.5: sharper previews?  (Read 6192 times)

lisa_r

C1 4.5: sharper previews?
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:09:41 pm »

Hi all, 4.5 is working very well for me. Except the full previews look soft - to the extent that I can not tell which are critically sharp unless I zoom in on the images one at a time. Is there a way to make the full-size preview image sharper. (this problem is similar to that of the low-resolution LCDs on the backs of older cameras, where you can tell composition, but not sharpness...)

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:29:28 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Is there a way to make the full-size preview image sharper
Unfortunately not.... unless Phase code the low res previews sharper.
Up from 25% zoom the previews are rendered sharp.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:30:00 pm by tho_mas »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:42:58 pm »

Hi all, 4.5 is working very well for me. Except the full previews look soft - to the extent that I can not tell which are critically sharp unless I zoom in on the images one at a time.

Consider using Window - Viewer to bring up a secondary view of the image and then zooming that to 100%. Now you have the overall view and can check focus as well.

Works best with 2 monitors, but works okay even on one.

Doug

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:17:41 pm »

It does look less sharp than it is, and the viewer shows different image in terms of contrast and colors...

The first image is at 100% you can see how the leash that this llama has -yes, I'm in Bolivia- is focused

From Left to wright VIEWER -- NORMAL VIEW set to fit -- 100%
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:21:26 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

lisa_r

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:59 pm »

This is a bummer. I was hoping it was just the way I had my C1 set up.

*Seeing whether an image is sharp or not is one of the most important aspects of a preview*, no?

This should probably go in the thread about requests for C1 4.5.

PLEASE FIX THIS :-)

Leonardo Barreto

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »

I got curious about this and went to my PROGRAMS folder to start a version of C1 3.7.9 and proceeded to open the same image and compare the previews. I made captures of this and this is the result.. can you tell me what do you think...

[font=Comic Sa

lisa_r

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »

Can't tell which is sharp or not on such a small image.
But the white balance on the 4.5 version looks more pleasing to me. Not sure which is most accurate though...

gwhitf

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:21:38 pm »

This is a bummer. I was hoping it was just the way I had my C1 set up.
*Seeing whether an image is sharp or not is one of the most important aspects of a preview*, no?
This should probably go in the thread about requests for C1 4.5.
PLEASE FIX THIS :-)

You join this forum in late September of '08, and then you instantly start scolding the complainers? You want us all to get all Berkeley and hold hands and sing the praises of the MF world?

And then, within a day of posting that, you start complaining about the new Capture One 4.5?

Hmm. How quickly youth and innocence fades...

It's different when you've got a job on the line, huh...?

I have not installed 4.5 Pro, due to the OS requirements, but my first instinct is to suspect that they did something in 4.5 Pro to deal with what people called "the crunchy Previews" in 3.78. I too saw those crunchy Previews, and with a client standing there, it really got old saying, "Uh, that's not how the picture is really going to look; that's just the Preview", and then you'd turn to the client, and they'd have that concerned frown on their face. I can just wonder if Phase did something to de-crunch those Previews in 4.5 Pro, (and maybe they overdid it). Somewhere there is a chart, and it lists the pixel dimensions of the embedded Preview of every Phase back; they all seem to be slightly different.

Funny -- the even the tiniest JPG, even compressed, of the 1ds3 is tight as a jug, when you tether with EOS Utility and DPP. No crunchiness whatsoever, even compressed. No apologies to clients.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:34:46 pm by gwhitf »

simplify

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 08:52:04 pm »

I feel like the previews and final processed images look way better in the new C1 than they do in Lightroom.  The full image view in C1 looks amazing to me when compared to Lightroom 2.0.  However I love the interface and cataloging in Lightroom.  I am also shooting on Phase One back which probably makes a huge difference when compared to how C1 handles other camera types.

Leonardo Barreto

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:12 pm »

I think that there is a lot of posters here and in other forums that haver rushed to judge a complex program like this. My experience, --maybe because I'm as old as the Sputnik-- is that things are not always what the seam at first.

Previews are just that, that is why we use the focusing tool to show the client "the way it may look", having said that, It is "nice" to have as good preview as possible.

Probably Phase One has adjusted the preview to have less sharpness on, but I don't think that this could be described as "a bummer" ...
[font=Comic Sa

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »

Quote from: simplify
I feel like the previews and final processed images look way better in the new C1 than they do in Lightroom.  The full image view in C1 looks amazing to me when compared to Lightroom 2.0.  However I love the interface and cataloging in Lightroom.  I am also shooting on Phase One back which probably makes a huge difference when compared to how C1 handles other camera types.

I agree. My previews look sharp in C1 4.5, but this may be because I use a P45+ back. I'll have a look at some Canon Raw files tomorrow. I also find the Raw image conversion of Phase files is distinctly better than LR - tho' I really love LR! I guess we're lucky to have both.
Bill

lisa_r

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 09:17:05 pm »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
I think that there is a lot of posters here and in other forums that haver rushed to judge a complex program like this. My experience, --maybe because I'm
Probably Phase One has adjusted the preview to have less sharpness on, but I don't think that this could be described as "a bummer" ...

Maybe not. I just thought there may be a way of adjusting the sharpness to better tell which images are critically sharp and what are not, wihtout zooming in on each one.
Thx.

p.s. gwhitf:  I have been posting here for years. Though I just re-registered. Also, I think you may have misread the meaning of my post which you referred to.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:39:57 pm by lisa_r »
Pages: [1]   Go Up