Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fastest Way to Get a 5D Mark II? Pre-order?  (Read 6549 times)

timescapes

Fastest Way to Get a 5D Mark II? Pre-order?
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:22:36 pm »

I was at Samy's today, and the guys there told me that even if I put a deposit down today, I should not expect my 5Dm2 until March!   I was like, "WTF?"

I really need to get my grubby paws on this camera.   But I worry that if I put down a deposit at Samy's I might regret it if 5Dm2s become available on Ebay in Nov or Dec for a small premium.  I'd certainly be willing to pay a bit more to get the camera faster.

What do you guys think is the best strategy for getting the cameras as early as possible?  Where are the best places to pre-order?

thanks

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:48:06 pm »

Let someone else buy it and mug them!  

March!! That sounds a silly long time.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:59:43 pm »

I think there's a lot of speculation on supply and demand for this camera. I'd personally say hang tight. If you miss the first release, I'm sure it'll populate fast enough by december/january.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:04:08 pm »

I wonder if there aren't a ton of preorders that will evaporate once the camera gets in stock.  Get on the list and see if the kids want you to have a 5d mkii as their xmas present.

BruceHouston

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:45:56 pm »

You can get on as many lists as you like, but DO NOT pay any "pre-order" money.

I was in the (only) pro camera store in my city this afternoon and spoke with the buyer, who happened to wait on me.  She explained that Canon was supposed to have given them an SKU number with which to order the camera by now.  However, she spoke recently with the Canon rep, who told her that the SKU release was being delayed by 2-3 weeks (so maybe around mid-November).  She says that Canon generally ships to her within two days after the SKU is released for a new product.  She says that, in her past experience, a delay in the release of the SKU generally means that a price change is being considered, probably downward.  In any case, she says that all indications are that there will be PLENTY of cameras.

The idea that Canon would not satisfy demand before Christmas is silly; March is beyond ludicrous.  Canon and Samy's Camera WISH that demand were so high as to outpace the Canon production line...not.

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:46:58 pm by BruceHouston »

The View

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »

After the long wait for the upgrade of the 5D, I wonder if they might experience production problems...

After all, the HD video feature in combination with a still CMOS sensor is new at this quality level.

If that's the case, let's hope Canon will fix it before delivering to the clients.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:46:57 pm »

I'm sure Canon have realised demand is high in any case, and we're not likely to see shortages that plagued the 1DIII on its release. I dare say too, that with the current market the way it is, a lot of people will be avoiding buying this camera for the moment at least.

brianchapman

• http://www.brianchapmanphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »

I talked to a reputable shop here in Seattle today and they said (not surprisingly) that Canon has not provided additional information beyond that they would be shipping by the end of November.  

I asked if they were taking pre-orders (I have already pre-ordered from Amazon and Adorama) and he said they had a list of "about a zillion people already."  I then asked what quantities they could expect for this type of thing and he said that when the 1Ds Mark III was released they received about 10-12 per shipment but they didn't have any information about this camera.  

Anyway, that's all I have to add but I thought it was useful post it.
Brian Chapman
[url=http://www.brianchapm

telyt

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:36:15 pm »

Have there been any objective performance tests of this camera yet?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:56:56 pm »

Nope.

BruceHouston

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:27:07 am »

Quote from: BruceHouston
You can get on as many lists as you like, but DO NOT pay any "pre-order" money.

I was in the (only) pro camera store in my city this afternoon and spoke with the buyer, who happened to wait on me.  She explained that Canon was supposed to have given them an SKU number with which to order the camera by now.  However, she spoke recently with the Canon rep, who told her that the SKU release was being delayed by 2-3 weeks (so maybe around mid-November).  She says that Canon generally ships to her within two days after the SKU is released for a new product.  She says that, in her past experience, a delay in the release of the SKU generally means that a price change is being considered, probably downward.  In any case, she says that all indications are that there will be PLENTY of cameras.

The idea that Canon would not satisfy demand before Christmas is silly; March is beyond ludicrous.  Canon and Samy's Camera WISH that demand were so high as to outpace the Canon production line...not.

Bruce

Additional indications that we may see photographic equipment on sale at VERY NICE PRICES, from a Dow Jones Marketwatch report:

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Japan's trade surplus contracted 94.1% in September, as import growth outpaced growth in exports, underscoring the view the economy is heading into recession amid waning demand for Japanese goods abroad. The trade surplus, or the margin by which exports exceed imports, came to 95.1 billion yen ($970.1 million), down from 1.61 trillion yen a year earlier, preliminary data from the Ministry of Finance showed Thursday. Consensus estimates were for a 63% contraction, according to calculations by Credit Suisse. Exports climbed 1.5% to 7.26 trillion yen while imports climbed 28.8% to 5.65 trillion yen, the Finance Ministry said. In August, Japan posted a trade deficit of 327.56 billion yen.

There will be a great deal of pressure on these folks to increase their exports.  One way to do that is with price incentives.  (See the rumor that I posted above regarding a possible 5D Mark II price change.)

How about an Epson 7900 at $3200?  Problem is, their manufacturing costs may prohibit this, given how solid and precise it is being built.

Anyway, as a consumer of these fine art photographic goodies...Whoopee!

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:13:21 pm by BruceHouston »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:11:20 am »

Additional indications that we may their photographic equipment on sale at VERY NICE PRICES, from a Dow Jones Marketwatch report:

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Japan's trade surplus contracted 94.1% in September, as import growth outpaced growth in exports, underscoring the view the economy is heading into recession amid waning demand for Japanese goods abroad. The trade surplus, or the margin by which exports exceed imports, came to 95.1 billion yen ($970.1 million), down from 1.61 trillion yen a year earlier, preliminary data from the Ministry of Finance showed Thursday. Consensus estimates were for a 63% contraction, according to calculations by Credit Suisse. Exports climbed 1.5% to 7.26 trillion yen while imports climbed 28.8% to 5.65 trillion yen, the Finance Ministry said. In August, Japan posted a trade deficit of 327.56 billion yen...

If this is, as some people feel, an early sign of a global deflationary depression, cheap cameras may not be foremost in our thoughts... still, its an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

timescapes

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:28:58 pm »

Does anyone have any specific strategies they are using to get their hands on this camera ASAP?

thanks

giles

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »

Quote from: timescapes
Does anyone have any specific strategies they are using to get their hands on this camera ASAP?

thanks
Here in Oz Canon have said that there will be one shipment arrive this year.  I'm on the list at two dealers; one a major one where Canon ran their local "product launch", and one run by a friend-of-a-friend who at last count had two pre-orders: mine, and my friend's.  Nothing to do now but wait and see.

If you have a specific date by which you'd like to have the camera in your hands (e.g. you're going on Michael's Antarctic trip in January) then I would also figure out what your 'Plan B' is.  Without any good numbers leaking about production volumes from Canon v. pre-orders (and, in my case) no idea what percentage of pre-orders usually translate to actual sales, I really have no idea if the camera will be in short supply at release or if there will be more units than pre-orders.

Add in the interest of fluctuating currency values (the AUD$ went from being ridiculously high against the USD$ to too low IMHO, dropping about 1/3) and uncertain consumer confidence and we live in interesting times ... again.

Giles

[Edited to fix punctuation.]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:52:04 pm by giles »

BruceHouston

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:28 pm »

Quote from: free1000
If this is, as some people feel, an early sign of a global deflationary depression, cheap cameras may not be foremost in our thoughts... still, its an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

Good point.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 12:19:42 am »

Additional indications that we may see photographic equipment on sale at VERY NICE PRICES, from a Dow Jones Marketwatch report:

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Japan's trade surplus contracted 94.1% in September, as import growth outpaced growth in exports, underscoring the view the economy is heading into recession amid waning demand for Japanese goods abroad. The trade surplus, or the margin by which exports exceed imports, came to 95.1 billion yen ($970.1 million), down from 1.61 trillion yen a year earlier, preliminary data from the Ministry of Finance showed Thursday. Consensus estimates were for a 63% contraction, according to calculations by Credit Suisse. Exports climbed 1.5% to 7.26 trillion yen while imports climbed 28.8% to 5.65 trillion yen, the Finance Ministry said. In August, Japan posted a trade deficit of 327.56 billion yen.

There will be a great deal of pressure on these folks to increase their exports.  One way to do that is with price incentives.  (See the rumor that I posted above regarding a possible 5D Mark II price change.)

How about an Epson 7900 at $3200?  Problem is, their manufacturing costs may prohibit this, given how solid and precise it is being built.

Bruce

While I certainly hope any recession is short lived, a trade surplus is not very good for an economy.  It means that they make the products and then trade them for stuff worth less than the products that they make.  It means they don't get to consume the fruits of their own labor. I can't believe there will be pressure to increase the trade surplus except maybe from the powerful few who get to profit off the un-reimbursed labor of the workers.

So when you read that the US has a trade deficit, rejoice! (if you live in the US)  Other countries are sending us free stuff! (at least for the time being...)
-bruce

anyway, for the time being, I'm sticking with my 5d Mark I  
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

timescapes

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 12:42:28 pm »

FYI, I spoke with Adorama today.  They are taking pre-orders for the 5Dm2 over the phone.  They claim they will not charge the credit card until the day the unit SHIPS, and that you can cancel at any time up until the day the unit ships.
Pages: [1]   Go Up