Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF test image  (Read 1844 times)

mike_botelho

• http://
Canon iPF test image
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:29:23 pm »

I'm quite familiar with the Epson K3 inks on various substrates, but have been curious about the Canon iPF series for some time now.  I haven't sen any output in person, though, and, as far as I can tell, Canon doesn't provide sample prints.

With my cash flow being what it is, and with my messed up back, if just isn't feasible for me to buy an expensive and heavy Canon LF printer just to give it a try.  So, I was wondering if someone would be willing to print out a test image for me.  It would spare me the futile pursuit of trying to imagine the printer's output from people's words.

Specifically, I really would like to see how the printer does with canvas, particularly glossy canvas.  I know that some people here are pleased with their results on canvas.  It would be wonderful to see a small example, particularly since I would also be getting an insight into someone's idea of a good canvas match for the Canon printers/Lucia inkset.

If someone would be willing to help me with this, of course, I'd be willing to pay for the materials and bother.  Just something like an test image printed on a small bit of canvas would be fine.  Digital Outback Photo, for example, has a nice little printer evaluation image available on their website.  It's located here:

http://www.outbackprint.com/printinginsigh...i048/essay.html

Or, certainly, you could use something else designed for such a purpose.

If the Canons don't kick butt on canvas, particularly glossy canvas, they won't suit my needs.  And, like I said, months of reading posts looking for little descriptive hints about gamut and dmax in an effort to put together a mental impression of the printer's output is just an exercise in futility.  Obviously, a few seconds of looking at a printed test image will tell me more than a lifetime of reading.

You can get on touch with me off-list if you'd be willing to help me out.

Thanks for listening, and Kind Regards,

Mike

T_om

Canon iPF test image
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:57:19 am »

Mike,

You might have better luck with this request on the Canon large format ipf Wiki site.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/

The only problem is, you would be making a decision on a printer based on the competency of some unknown person's printing ability.  Someone that might not have the proper profiles, printer settings, etc.

Personally, I think you would be better off going to a Canon dealer or trade show and taking a look at the output.  Canon printers will knock your socks off.  They are that good.

Tom

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Canon iPF test image
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:39 am »

I've been making comparison prints of my evaluation images (found at http://www.on-sight.com/downloads/) on various printers for over a decade. With the current HP, Canon and Epson printers it's fun to make a set of prints on the same paper using the manufacturer's profiles. Then, I'll profile all three printers on the same paper myself and make another round of prints. I repeat this test on various papers. I also do the same on silver halide printers, laser printers and on press. I've been showing a box full of these prints to my clients as I travel around and during workshops. The results speak for themselves and can be quite educational. I'd encourage everyone to repeat it!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:43:37 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

shybuck

Canon iPF test image
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:57:15 pm »

Hi Mike,

I've just purchased a ipf6100. It's so new I've yet to print much. I would love to do this for you but I have no profile for the canvas or the canvas. While I realize the canvas question is the one to answer, I can tell you a few of the factors that swayed me to the Canon direction. First one is the speed these printers have. Something that leaves the others in the dust.....it has two huge print heads. Second: virtually no clogging problems.  Third: there is no switching back and forth between the black inks. Forth: frugality with the inks.

There is a newer version that Canon has announced so there are unbelievable offers on the ipf6100 . hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up