Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of Epson 7900 versus HP Z3200  (Read 77651 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Comparison of Epson 7900 versus HP Z3200
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2008, 12:51:24 pm »

Quote from: georgek
My understanding is that Gloss Differential and Bronzing are the same thing. Harald Johnson in his book "Mastering Digital Printing" page 216 and Amadou Diallo in his book "Mastering Digital Black and White" page 243, refer to both as one and the same.

Am I missing something?
No they are not the same at all.

Bronzing is the change in appearance to a metallic look often being coloured towards copper or bronze , hence it's name.It is usually most noticeable at 30-45 degrees off center viewing. It is possible to have bronzing in any ink colorant not only grey inks.

Gloss differential is the amount of reflection at oblique angles where the different ink densities reflect different and sometimes inverse of the expected reflection density. Mostly noticeable in the paper white (zero ink) to the grey ink or composite grey +pk ink.

I said that GD is still present on even the x900 prints on certain third party media which simply are unsuitable IMO. There would be even more GD  on the same paper with an HP, but with GE applied it is reduced if not covered up by it.
In any case bronzing is very reduced if not non-present on most papers with Epson K3, VM, and the HD new inks.

GE on the HP is a fairly complex application that is much different than Epson R1900 GLOP. IT does a good job but is fragile. It has it's own coloration at oblique angles, usually seen as a magenta tint but this is at 10 degrees or so.

To find GD on the Demarchalier prints exposed to mixted light, I had to get down on my knees and find a spot or bright light onto areas as above printed on a heavy weight lustre on an Epson 11880. No bronzing at all, and only a little GD when really sought. This was on non glass mounted prints, but I cannot see how glass mounting takes out GD.

Personally I don't see the need to bring down levels to 252 just to reduce GD , as noted here, you only see it at oblique angles , hence if the print is anything but huge, I don't see the point for viewers as it is NOT a problem on optimised papers on Epson.

Remember , I did say I saw prints on all three, the HP3200, it was Joshua Greene on the stand, and a 7900, and some Canon LFPs at the Innova stand at Photokina. I'm not sure why they didn't think to show prints on adapted media, as Innova do have some nice products. At the Epson stand there were zero defects on any prints exposed or being printed. That goes to show choose your media carefully.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2008, 02:20:13 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
I said that GD is still present on even the x900 prints on certain third party media which simply are unsuitable IMO.

Just curioius which media.  I don't use a lot of different media types, but have found gloss differential on Kodak Professional Luster is very similar to Epson Premium Luster.  Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber Silk, which I use when my print is too big for Epson Exhibition Fiber is not quite as good as the EEF, but still very acceptable.

I was planning on trying a few of the other new baryta based papers, so I'm curious if perhaps some of those were among papers you saw and had problem with.

alan a

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2008, 02:51:16 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
The schedule for the day of the Epson Print Academy Track II is tight enough as it stands so I'll pretty much tell you that the odds of us doing test prints from YOUR images is slight. The only paper we'll be printing on is either 17x22 or 24x30 Epson Exhibition Fiber paper unless JP want to print on Ultrasmooth Fine Art. The only Luster we'll have are small sheets for doing head alignments.

Quote from: neil snape
I said that GD is still present on even the x900 prints on certain third party media which simply are unsuitable IMO. There would be even more GD  on the same paper with an HP, but with GE applied it is reduced if not covered up by it.
In any case bronzing is very reduced if not non-present on most papers with Epson K3, VM, and the HD new inks.

GE on the HP is a fairly complex application that is much different than Epson R1900 GLOP. IT does a good job but is fragile. It has it's own coloration at oblique angles, usually seen as a magenta tint but this is at 10 degrees or so.

To find GD on the Demarchalier prints exposed to mixted light, I had to get down on my knees and find a spot or bright light onto areas as above printed on a heavy weight lustre on an Epson 11880. No bronzing at all, and only a little GD when really sought. This was on non glass mounted prints, but I cannot see how glass mounting takes out GD.

Personally I don't see the need to bring down levels to 252 just to reduce GD , as noted here, you only see it at oblique angles , hence if the print is anything but huge, I don't see the point for viewers as it is NOT a problem on optimised papers on Epson.

Remember , I did say I saw prints on all three, the HP3200, it was Joshua Greene on the stand, and a 7900, and some Canon LFPs at the Innova stand at Photokina. I'm not sure why they didn't think to show prints on adapted media, as Innova do have some nice products. At the Epson stand there were zero defects on any prints exposed or being printed. That goes to show choose your media carefully.

(1)  As Neil and others have explained, the degree to which you see bronzing or GD is related to the media.  You will see less with the 7900 when using Epson media that is optimized for that printer.  The same would be true for HP.  So if you plan on exclusively using media that is optimized by the manufacturer for their own printer, then all of these issues are less important.

However, if you plan on enjoying the wide range of papers that are now available from other manufacturers, then it becomes an issue.  Then GD is a serious factor when evaluating the quality of the printer.  Profiling papers is also an issue, or the need to obtain high quality profiles.  Several people with significant experience in the industry have explained that the profiles from paper manufacturers are often inadequate, so that is not a solution that can be relied on.  You must turn to an on-board spectro such as the HP Z printers, or a hand-held manual approach, or find someone who also makes high quality profiles and isn't using a $500 package that you could have bought for yourself.  (Many of the guys who make profiles for $50 are doing just that, so sending away for a profile is often not a solution either.)

(2)  This becomes significant when evaluating printers at trade shows.  It is a serious issue at the Epson Print Academy.  Both Epson and HP will pick media, and images, that puts their printers in the very best light.  Manufacturers will use their own media that reveals little GD, little bronzing, or color shifts. Schewe admitted as much in the above quote, because the media used by Epson at the Print Academy is the type that would be far less vulnerable to GD than would Epson Glossy, for example.

(3)  Lighting is also a factor at trade shows.  Manufacturers will use indirect lighting so that it is next to impossible to see GD even if it is present. Neil also explained that he had to get down on his knees to see these effects due to indirect lighting.  

GD and bronzing will show up in an office or home with very bright direct lighting, such as from a window.  In a bad case of GD you don't have to be at very much of an angle to see it with stronger direct or indirect lighting.

Neil was able to see clear evidence of GD on the Epson 7900 when directly examining third party media.  Not getting down on his knees due to dark, indirect lighting, and not when viewing cherry-picked media and lighting by the manufactuers.

(4)  I am not surprised that Epson will refuse to take five minutes to print a sample at the Print Academy.  (For the record, I planned on bringing Epson semi-gloss or gloss media WITH ME due to the likely excuse that "sorry we don't have that media," and to take that excuse off the table.)  

No matter.  They won't do it, as strongly suggested by Schewe. They want us to look at their carefully selected images, that due to the choice of colors and inks, minimize GD and all problems.  And then look at those images under lighting conditions that further hide any issues.

That is why I assumed, at the very start, that the images on display at the Print Academy will not fairly and accurately represent GD and other issues on the 7900.  As I explained above, Epson will carefully select images, paper and lighting to minimize any issues at all.  Epson would be damn fools to do anything else.  HP would do the same, as would all manufacturers.

The real fools would be those who buy the 7900 based on the prints at display at the Epson Print Academy, or buy a Z3200 based on what HP puts on display. On the other hand, if you can evaluate third party media, printed on both printers -- as Neil was able to do -- you will see a much different story, with GD present on the 7900 and other manufacturers.

(5)  I also agree with Neil when he said that "This was on non glass mounted prints, but I cannot see how glass mounting takes out GD."  Glass has absolutely nothing to do with it, contrary to the assertions made by those defending Epson.  Again, just test it yourself with a piece of glass.  It is just plain silly to assert to the contrary, when it is so easy for all of us to show that glass has no impact -- none at all -- on the impact of GD or bronzing.  

The advocates for Epson are simply using a bad debaters ploy to change the subject, and try to defend Epson.  That is deliciously ironic, when they also so strongly defend Epson, and just as strongly attack the quality of HP inks.  Either Epson has a problem or it doesn't.  Glass and the mounting prints has nothing to do with it.

(6)  Finally, I welcome the acknowledgment by Schewe that he works for Epson as part of the Print Academy.  Many of us already knew that, and Schewe has previously acknowledged that.  It is nonetheless useful information for a casual reader of the forum who might not know that.  They have the right to know of any affiliations of those who post, and the readers of the forum can then evaluate any statements made through that lens.

I am a strong believer in "sunshine" laws and policies to forthrightly reveal conflicts of interest.  I hope everyone will follow the example set by Schewe.  If you are compensated by a manufacturer, say that.  If you receive free equipment either on loan, or permanently as an out-right gift, say that.  We, the readers of the forum, have the right to know that and evaluate statements in that context.

That does not, in any way, diminish the importance of the participation of experts who are compensated by manufacturers.  They are compensated by manufacturers precisely because they are experts.  They are exactly the people we need in this forum due to their expertise.  The fact that they are compensated does not diminish their expertise or the importance of their contributions.  

But they should also always step into the bright sunshine, and disclose any conflicts of interest.  Schewe did that here, and had done so previously.  He is to be applauded for doing so.  Anyone else who is compensated by manufacturers either in direct payments, or free equipment, should do so as well.  (Speaking for myself, I am not employed in any field that is anyway related to photography, graphic arts, or anything that is in anyway related to the issues discussed in this forum.  I am employed in a field where conflicts of interest are forthrightly disclosed and have learned of the importance of doing so.)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »

Quote from: alan a
(2)  This becomes significant when evaluating printers at trade shows.  It is a serious issue at the Epson Print Academy.  Both Epson and HP will pick media, and images, that puts their printers in the very best light.  Manufacturers will use their own media that reveals little GD, little bronzing, or color shifts. Schewe admitted as much in the above quote, because the media used by Epson at the Print Academy is the type that would be far less vulnerable to GD than would Epson Glossy, for example.

Aside from the fact you write posts on the forum that seem as long as War And Peace, you also have a way of interpreting what I write the way you feel like rather than reading what I write. I never said anything about EPSON choosing the paper...I choose the friggin' paper I print on. For my own prints, there's really only two paper I use (except for testing and head alignments or other purposes than making a fine art print). I print on EFP and Sommerset for Epson. I print both and choose the paper based on the image's needs...not based on what Epson tells me to use. I don't try every new paper that's introduce because I like to have a very stable set of parameters to deal with. I choose based on my needs and I'm not terribly likely to flail about trying everything under the sun. I don't care how other papers print on my printers cause I ain't gonna be using that other paper.

With regards to the Epson Print Academy, Andrew Rodney, Mac Holbert, JP Caponigro, Greg Gorman and I decide what we're going to cover during the course of the day. We only have so much time and a lot of stuff to cover to get our information out. The timing of the production is pretty set based on the start time in the morning and the fact the room must be cleared by a certain time or Epson gets hit for a hell of an overtime charge for the venue. We've already done about 20 of these show over the last couple of years...we're good at it and we've got it down pat. Mac has helped a lot...he used to be a roadie for Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young as well as a variety of other 1960's rock groups.

The topics we cover and the manner we cover them is up to us, Epson only dictates the start and stop time and what cities we go to (with a little input from us). The EPson Print Academy is not a "trade show", it's an educational seminar.
You also kinda misread what Neil wrote as well...it's not indirect light that trade show venue use, it's well lit DIRECT LIGHT that Epson uses...in the Epson trade show booth, they light the matted and framed prints with Solux lighting which are nice, daylight DIRECT lighting that makes the prints look really good...is that "cheating"? I don't think so...the aim of fine art printing is to make a print worthy of framing and hanging with good light. That's what Epson's "selling". Not sure what you sell...

I am a strong believer in "sunshine" laws and policies to forthrightly reveal conflicts of interest.

Wow, sounds like you have some real baggage...Yes, I'm an Epson Stylus Pro (Epson pays me in equipment and ink and pays me in cash to teach and speak). I'm a consultant and alpha/beta tester for Adobe (most recently on Camera Raw and Lightroom where I was involved in developing the capture sharpening in CR/LR and the output sharpening in Lightroom, for money). The testing I do for Adobe is uncompensated work. Although they have paid me to teach and write for them. I also write (coauthored with the late Bruce Fraser) the Real World Camera Raw book I'm a good friend of Michael Reichmann and Chris Sanderson and we work on projects together that Mike & Chris sell and I get a piece of....I used to be a Canon Explorer of Light, but I don't do that any more. I ride a BMW R1200 GS (a new Adventure model, just got it and it only has 18 miles on it) and drive a Honda CRV. I prefer to wear all cotton clothing and light-weight shoes (now with more arch support as I get older). Since I quit smoking, I chew Nicorette 4mg Fresh Min Gum (it's the only flavor that doesn't taste like shit). I'm a newly registered Democrat that will be voting for Barack Obama on Nov 4th. My wife of 35 years is Rebecca (shortened to Becky) and I have a 26 yr old daughter Erica. My favorite color is...B&W.

And no, I won't disclose my tax return...but I have enough money that I really don't have to work for a living, which pretty much frees me up to be, say and do whatever I feel like (much to some people's chagrin).

Hey, you can never be too transparent, right? Now, how about YOU Alan, what's YOUR agenda?

alan a

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2008, 04:12:45 pm »

Aside from the fact you write posts on the forum that seem as long as War And Peace, you also have a way of interpreting what I write the way you feel like rather than reading what I write.

And no, I won't disclose my tax return.

Hey, you can never be too transparent, right? Now, how about YOU Alan, what's YOUR agenda?
You accuse me of  misinterpreting your comments.  Well, you have done the same to me, only you have done so deliberately, not accidentally.  

I applauded your disclosure that you work for Epson.  I did not criticize you.  Go back and read what I wrote.

Nor did I ask for any other disclosures on your part.  The fact that you are compensated by Epson, and you already disclosed that, is what matters.  So stop the silly debater's ploys and raising non-issues.  No one asked you to disclose your tax return.   Stop talking about tax returns, glass, and other irrelevant issues.

But there are others on the forum who do the opposite, and only defend HP, and who probably receive free equipment from HP.  My comment was directed at them, and my comment was specific --I applauded your example, and urged all others to follow your example.

I also said this, that you chose to ignore:  "That does not, in any way, diminish the importance of the participation of experts who are compensated by manufacturers. They are compensated by manufacturers precisely because they are experts. They are exactly the people we need in this forum due to their expertise. The fact that they are compensated does not diminish their expertise or the importance of their contributions."

You also deliberately chose to ignore, to misrepresent and to misquote my posting, but I will say it again here.  I receive no compensation; no free equipment; and absolutely no benefits, financial or otherwise, from anyone in the fields of printing, photography, graphic arts or any field related to this forum.  I am employed in a field that has nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with any of the topics on this forum.  I included that disclaimer in my original posting because I expected someone to pose the question to me, so I covered it advance.  Except that you chose to ignore it.

I am NOT suggesting that every person who posts needs to disclose that, or repeat what I said I above.  What I said is that if you compensated by a manufacturer or receive free equipment, then you should disclose that fact.  If you are either an amateur or a professional who does not receive compensation or free equipment, then there is no need to affirmatively state that.

I am an amateur photographer, who started this thread to seek answers on one question.  Which is the better printer, the Z3200 or the 7900.  

If I have an agenda, that is the agenda.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:27:58 pm by alan a »

Schewe

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »

Which is the better printer, the Z3200 or the 7900.

The 7900...

:~)

Course, that's just my opinion, for what's it's worth...(some people actually pay for that opinion)

alan a

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2008, 04:37:53 pm »

The 7900...

:~)

Course, that's just my opinion, for what's it's worth...(some people actually pay for that opinion)
Ironically, I probably agree.  Even with the issues of GD and the spectro, I assume that the 7900 and Epson are superior on the other criteria that I posted at the very start of this thread.  Customer service, tech support, mechanical quality and reliability, print quality, and speed -- to name only a few where Epson and the 7900 probably beat HP and the 3200.

We are actually more in agreement, than in disagreement.

I'm hoping that Epson releases a new utility for the specto that includes printer profiling, with software and targets at least as good as the HP APS.  Assuming that GD on the 7900 is, in fact, miinor, I might pay the extra $800 for the Epson and spectro as compared with the combined price of the Z3200 and APS.  (The Epson and spectro costs $800 more than the Z3200 and APS as listed on the HP web site.)

(Any good printer profiling package costs at least $1,000 for use with the Epson without the spectro.  So paying the extra $800 for the Epson spectro, if it included printer profiling, would actually save money if someone chose to buy the Epson.)

I just have to be sure to look at the Epson prints straight on to not see any GD!  :~)

Seriously, even if the Epson spectro software is modified so that it can produce paper profiles, I will still withhold final judgment until I can actually see the degree of GD on the 7900 with Luster or Semi-gloss papers, and compare that to the largely non-existent GD on the HP printers using GE.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:06:31 am by alan a »

Schewe

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2008, 04:56:13 pm »

I just have to be sure to look at the Epson prints straight on to not see any GD!  :~)

Actually although we do travel with a gallery of framed and well lit prints from various members of the Epson Stylus Pro members, the prints we produce during the show are loose prints we put on a table with about 6 or 7 strong  and direct Solux lights shining on them. You can pick them up and turn them any angle you wish...so you certainly can inspect them for any evidence of GD or bronzing...you can even pull out a loupe to inspect the grain structure of the ink droplets (something the 7900 is remarkable for). And we'll teach you how to optimize your images to take full advantage of the new printers; Pro Photo RGB, 16 bit processing and printing, soft proofing to have absolute control over rendering, output sharpening to get the most out of your image detail and discussions on print handling and framing (I interviewed Michael for that video and shows how he matts & frames his prints) and longevity with an interview Micheal did with Henry Wilhelm (you even find out why Henry was put into jail).

Lunch is included....and every attendee gets the chance to win the sweepstakes (see the rules for details :~)

alan a

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »

Actually although we do travel with a gallery of framed and well lit prints from various members of the Epson Stylus Pro members, the prints we produce during the show are loose prints we put on a table with about 6 or 7 strong  and direct Solux lights shining on them. You can pick them up and turn them any angle you wish...so you certainly can inspect them for any evidence of GD or bronzing...you can even pull out a loupe to inspect the grain structure of the ink droplets (something the 7900 is remarkable for). And we'll teach you how to optimize your images to take full advantage of the new printers; Pro Photo RGB, 16 bit processing and printing, soft proofing to have absolute control over rendering, output sharpening to get the most out of your image detail and discussions on print handling and framing (I interviewed Michael for that video and shows how he matts & frames his prints) and longevity with an interview Micheal did with Henry Wilhelm (you even find out why Henry was put into jail).

Lunch is included....and every attendee gets the chance to win the sweepstakes (see the rules for details :~)

Mr. Schewe:

I make the below request respectfully.  I intend no disrespect, and I am not trying to be argumentative. Just the opposite.

My own request would then be for you to make a print that we can all agree would demonstrate GD.  A print of a mountain and snow, to use an example, would be perfect.  Because it will have paper white and grays and blacks.

I'd also request that such a print be made on Epson luster, semi-gloss or gloss paper.

That would pretty well put the debate on GD to rest, once and for all.  We could then see a good example of GD, on a paper that is vulnerable to it, and as you say, we could pick it up under direct lighting and examine it.

If the new inks really minimize GD, then many of us might decide that it is not a significant problem with the 7900 -- or even that it is not a problem at all.

If you indicate that this would be possible, I'll be the first to acknowledge that many of the statements in my last "war and peace" posting would be just plain wrong.

Then, going back to my last posting, all of the other areas where Epson and the 7900 are superior come into play and would be deciding factors on which printer to buy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:27:00 pm by alan a »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2008, 05:17:45 pm »

I'm hoping that Epson releases a new utility for the specto that includes printer profiling, with software and targets at least as good as the HP APS.  I'd pay the extra $800 for the Epson and spectro as compared with the 3200 and APS in a nanosecond.  (Any good printer profiling package costs at least $1,000, so paying the extra $800 for the Epson spectro, if it included printer profiling, would actually save money.)

That's just it, on most papers there just is so little GD it's not a concern. Just use the right papers and all's well.
Exactly what Epson show, recommend , and strongly promote.
HP don't have a problem when using GE on still optimised paper, yet using GE to correct it presents it's own cost and disadvantage too.

Personally I don't think you'd see see much difference on the same media like Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta or if you used Epson Tradition on both. If you studied the smoothness and gamut potential the Epson has and will do better than other printers. Take Bill Atkinson's 28 ball tiff and softproof the graduations through profiles on Epson then other printers. It doesn't say what the print will really look like, but it does say the potential upfront is where you want it to be.
The added options like take up spool, build quality, aspirated platen, all make it an obvious choice for those who need that or those features.
HP have their own merits too, and fit in well with users who prefer the options on HP side.
With today's choices of quality paper, there is no reason to use any media that is not up to snuff. I recommend of course Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta, for which I received one box of 20 A3 sheets apart prototype samples, just to disclose what I got for testing. HP , I had done a lot of testing for, and assisted some shows a few years back to meet the user base, but haven't done anything in years with them. Who knows, if I have more time, I'd like to test and report for both of these printers.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2008, 02:40:19 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
Out of curiosity Wayne, have you ever tested how much you'd have to lower the "blown" values to completely eliminate GD? Just wondering if lowering to 252 or 253 would be sufficient with the newer ink sets.

Jim

Haven't ever done that.  I've heard of the technique, but as I mentioned I don't believe gloss differential is a problem on the media I use.  

If I had a particular image where this was problematic, I would be more inclined to use a protective spray coating over the print rather than this.  It's a pretty easy fix, and some do it anyway, since it seals and protects the some what fragile print surface ... and may even increase print longevity.  (I haven't used them but that's what I would try anyway).

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2008, 09:30:47 am »

The fact that the HP Z series can put the GE over just the image area, and not the rest of the page (when using the "Econo Mode") like a spot varnish effect is really an asset. Those that bash HP for needing the GE aren't recognizing this unique look and what an advantage HP has as the only printer that can do it. I apply a liquid laminate to some of my Epson and Canon prints but I can't simulate that spot varnish effect with the laminate just over the image area (and sometimes caption text) as I can on the Z series printers. Again, there really are advantages to each brand.

I think it would be really cool if, at some point in the future, the GE could be applied to matte surface papers to further take advantage of the spot varnish look, just as so many fine art books are produced on press. This capability is another reason the proofing market likes the Z series printers. Epson and Canon would be wise to adopt similar technology. It's not always just about reducing GD, it can be about using creating GD for an excellent effect.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

alan a

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
The fact that the HP Z series can put the GE over just the image area, and not the rest of the page (when using the "Econo Mode") like a spot varnish effect is really an asset. Those that bash HP for needing the GE aren't recognizing this unique look and what an advantage HP has as the only printer that can do it.
You explained it better than I have, and covered an additional advantage of GE.

I continue to believe that GD DOES matter.  Given a choice between a print that suffers from GD when viewed through glass, versus one that does not, why not take the print, and the printer, that eliminates GD?  

And with regards to viewing from an angle, many of us have to mount some photos in our homes of offices that are not at eye height -- two or three feet lower or higher than eye height.  It is not that difficult to end up an angle where you can see GD.  I base that on prints that suffer from GD made on the Epson 4000 or the Z3100 without GE.  As Schewe has noted, the 4000 is several generations old.  It suffers from worse GD than does the Z series without GE.  With GE the HP Z series simply has zero GD in my opinion.

So the question is still whether the 7900 suffers from GD and if so, to what degree.  I repeat below my request of Schewe.  I just don't think that I'm asking too much here, and others who have posted in the thread made similar requests with regards to the Epson Print Academy.  Such a print could be made right on the spot by the instructors to show -- to prove -- that the 7900 has low or non-existent GD.  Or it could even be printed in advance and put out on the table as described by Schewe for all of us to examine under lights.  If the instructors would do that, it would put to rest the issue of GD once and for all.

If the 7900 has very low GD, as asserted in this thread, then what it is there to fear in meeting this request?

Repeated below:

Mr. Schewe:

I make the below request respectfully. I intend no disrespect, and I am not trying to be argumentative. Just the opposite.

My own request would then be for you to make a print that we can all agree would demonstrate GD. A print of a mountain and snow, to use an example, would be perfect. Because it will have paper white and grays and blacks.

I'd also request that such a print be made on Epson luster, semi-gloss or gloss paper.  

(Mat papers won't show GD and Epson Exhibition Fiber will have much lower GD than a gloss or semi-gloss paper.)

That would pretty well put the debate on GD to rest, once and for all. We could then see a good example of GD, on a paper that is vulnerable to it, and as you say, we could pick it up under direct lighting and examine it.

If the new inks really minimize GD, then many of us might decide that it is not a significant problem with the 7900 -- or even that it is not a problem at all.

If you indicate that this would be possible, I'll be the first to acknowledge that many of the statements in my last "war and peace" posting would be just plain wrong.

Then, going back to my last posting, all of the other areas where Epson and the 7900 are superior come into play and would be deciding factors on which printer to buy.  

(With the caveat that the issue of the spectro in the Epson versus the spectro in HP is still be to resolved when more is known about the spectro and software for the Epson.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:22:02 pm by alan a »

Schewe

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2008, 03:05:34 pm »

My own request would then be for you to make a print that we can all agree would demonstrate GD. A print of a mountain and snow, to use an example, would be perfect. Because it will have paper white and grays and blacks.

I don't cherry pick images to print that hide any inherent Epson defects...one of the images that I have already printed is of a mountain in Antarctica that has snow, ice, water and a nice sunset look. That's already covered (I also print out B&Ws using the ABW mode)

As for the paper, I suppose I can also ask that the 7900 is also loaded with a roll of Luster (which we can also use for head alignments/nozzle checks). So, we'll see....

As for changing the topics and curriculum of the Print Academy, that ain't gonna happen. We've already done about 20 of these and know what's important to teach. We aren't product demo bunnies trying to sell printers to people at a trade show...so come and see for yourself. If you don't learn what you think you want to learn, ask for a refund (pretty sure you'll get it).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:10:47 pm by Schewe »

alan a

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »

I don't cherry pick images to print that hide any inherent Epson defects...one of the images that I have already printed is of a mountain in Antarctica that has snow, ice, water and a nice sunset look. That's already covered (I also print out B&Ws using the ABW mode)

As for the paper, I suppose I can also ask that the 7900 is also loaded with a roll of Luster (which we can also use for head alignments/nozzle checks). So, we'll see....
The Antarctica image on Luster should be perfect as illustration of the lack of or presence of GD.  I'm sure that many of us attending the Academy will look forward to seeing that print on Luster, and then leave it on the table where it can be examined under lights, as you described in your previous posting.  I also look forward to seeing your other outstanding work.

I did not mean to suggest any change to the curriculum and apologize if my posting caused any confusion in that regard.

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:47:37 pm by alan a »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37:53 pm »

The Antarctica image on Luster should be perfect as illustration of GD or the lack thereof.
A more complete comparison would include prints from a Z series and/or Epson R1900 with and without GE/GO and a silver halide print on a similar surface. That's the kind of comparison that really puts it all in full perspective. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we'll see that kind of comparison at a sponsored marketing event, except perhaps Noritsu's which have printers that do all three.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

alan a

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
A more complete comparison would include prints from a Z series and/or Epson R1900 with and without GE/GO and a silver halide print on a similar surface. That's the kind of comparison that really puts it all in full perspective. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we'll see that kind of comparison at a sponsored marketing event, except perhaps Noritsu's which have printers that do all three.
I agree, and would have brought Z3100 prints with me to the Academy as printed on Luster, along with an image on a DVD to print on the 7900 using luster during one of the breaks.  But printing my own image at the Epson event is not possible, for understandable reasons, based on the previous postings in this thread.  

As an alternative, I will gladly welcome the opportunity to see the Antarctica print on luster, as it will demonstrate the lack of or presence of GD and I can make my own mental comparison based on seeing many prints on luster from the Z3100 using GE.

For many of us who participate in this forum, the Epson Academy will be our only opportunity to see the 7900, and the Antarctica print on luster will be the only chance to chance to assess how the 7900 does with regards to GD.

I know we all greatly appreciate his offer in that regard.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:48:32 pm by alan a »

JimGoshorn

« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 04:52:58 pm »

Out of curiosity, I went to Epson's site and looked at the 7900 and there on the lower right side of features page was a listing for papers that Epson considers best to use with the printer: Premium Luster 260, Proofing Paper White Semimatte and Premium Semimatte 260.

Schewe

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 05:00:49 pm »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
Out of curiosity, I went to Epson's site and looked at the 7900 and there on the lower right side of features page was a listing for papers that Epson considers best to use with the printer: Premium Luster 260, Proofing Paper White Semimatte and Premium Semimatte 260.

Uh huh...and I like to print on EFP....that's what I use.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »

Uh huh...and I like to print on EFP....that's what I use.

I mentioned the papers due to the concerns about gloss differential and luster paper. Epson wouldn't recommend a problem paper.  

Since you mentioned Exhibition Fiber, I did find it interesting that Epson didn't make a point of mentioning that paper as well in the recommended list since that is one of their proudest accomplishments.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up