Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs  (Read 93792 times)

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Price Reduction Sinar Hy6 - 54 & Sinar Hy6 - 75 Camera Systems & Backs
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 12:15:43 pm »

lisa:
I think this is it. Sincerely.
I've learned a lot since I registered, which wasn't long ago (just about half a year). I think all things have two sides, all we need to do is make them better(or keep it from getting worse  )

cheers,
Dustblue

Quote from: lisa_r
P.S. I'd like to find a forum where people are helping one another get the most out of their cameras, RAW software, Photoshop. If anyone knows where that is, please let me know.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Does Sinar want to sell cameras or talk about selling cameras?

Maybe I'm missing it but I've read this thread 3 times and I still don't know what Sinars sell for in the U.S. at least the complete range.

Can Sinars be bought in the U.S. like overnight?  Where are they serviced, what is the service policy, typical turnaround time.

Will the HY6 and Sinar backs ever be in rental in the major cities?

I still don't understand medium format.  I've talked to dealers and reps and engineers and marketing cats and all of them say medium format is different, it requires a specialized dealer to sell them, they don't sell themselves, they require lots of supervision and a steep learning curve, a real camera store can't sell them, only a value added dealer knows how, etc. etc. etc.

OK then how about making them easier to use, tether, process,  learn. How bout' making them available, the prices understandable and easy to buy.

All of medium format is cryptic at best, but Sinar wins for an information stream that makes the Bush White House look transparent.  Well, I take that back, Phase also seems to be experts at infuriating their customers which in a very bizarre way tells you something positive about Phase in the fact they seem to outsell everyone else.  Go figure?

If these small straw polls that keep getting posted on this forum are even close to correct, the only digital backs that Sinar outsells is Mamiya's ZD and megavision.  You would think they would want to change that.

It's not just Sinar, I'd swear medium format prides itself on it's complexity and confusion.

No wonder digital techs love medium format.  They're the only ones that have a vested interest in taking the time to understand it.

It kind of makes you wonder why Hasselblad doesn't rule the medium format world?  Maybe now that they are hitting the forums hard and have dropped their prices they will.

Big Cooter

Hi Big Cooter (or should I spell that with a J   )

For a perfectly honest reply to...

'Can your products complete my check list of needs?'

Then the answer is no.  However I am confident I could construct another list geared towards a 35mm manufacturer that would also not fulfill my needs.

My point is that it doesn't sound like you actually have a wish to use a medium format product in the majority of your shoots - and thats fine with me.  If Canon and Nikon are working for you, then it would be an utter waste of your money for me to come and visit with a Hasselblad case and try and convince you that you did need it or it was better than your Contax / P25 and so on.

However, for many (and I don't think the 1000's of digital  medium format owners are daft enough to spend hard earned currency on a whim) believe that MFD does have something to offer them that they can't find in other products - wether that is 35mm or a particular medium format manufacturer.

If I think of a group of Hasselblad users it is unlikely that they have similar demands.  If we take one of your lists for example which is very demanding but for you is essential to your work then you are right to make the choice with Canon or Nikon and or someone else.  If I think of Mr. X photographer then as long as he is shooting spectacular quality from his H3D39, has some lenses he can hire down the road if need be and a repair centre down another road then he is happy.  The fact that he can't process 1000 shots overnight is irrelevant because he might only capture ten on a hard days work.

Im not having a pop at you, I am just saying that perhaps right now there is no perfect tool for your work - doesn't mean to say you are being ignored or that your requests are not taken seriously but we have an extensive wish list of what we would like to do and almost all things that I see and hear are on it.  I am sure the same goes for Thierry as well.

Hopefully that helps things a long a bit.

Best,

David
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:15:28 pm by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:48 pm »

P.S. I'd like to find a forum where people are helping one another get the most out of their cameras, RAW software, Photoshop. If anyone knows where that is, please let me know.

I've gotten some very quick and useful help on these forums from other members.  It's the best place I am aware of for help from people with real experience.  This is it, IMHO.  
Eric

Rolleiflex USA

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:07 am »

Quote from: thsinar
bcooter,

I am getting a bit tired to get bashed all the time (together with other MF players), especially if it is to repeat x-times the same again and again. I guess I have got your message since a little while now.
No world is perfect, but "we" are working on it to make it better. So it is with the MF AND with SLR markets.

I have informed about new Sinar prices (see above). These prices have been communicated last mid of the week to our distributors: if those are not yet out and known in the USA by the dealers, it is by no means a crime, and certainly doesn't deserve your outcry. Let these persons, most of them dedicated and knowledgeable ones, a bit of time to get it right.

Thanks for your understanding and best regards,
Thierry

It seems that you're getting bashed quite a lot. I don't see it happening 'together with other MF players', partly because other MF players don't present 'information' the way you do.

It is by no means a crime as you said, but I certainly question your integrity due to the huge discrepancy.

Aw-shucks, Thierry got his feelings hurt again. Maybe a love-in with the katoeys of Patpong will help you to get over it.

All the very best to your marketing career.

Shug

TMARK

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:58 am »

Quote from: Sean Reginald Knight
It seems that you're getting bashed quite a lot. I don't see it happening 'together with other MF players', partly because other MF players don't present 'information' the way you do.

It is by no means a crime as you said, but I certainly question your integrity due to the huge discrepancy.

Aw-shucks, Thierry got his feelings hurt again. Maybe a love-in with the katoeys of Patpong will help you to get over it.

Shug

Dag Shug!  Is that how you got those master tapes from Dr. Dre?  

bcooter

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 01:53:10 am »

Shug

For the record I think all professional digital cameras are amazing.  I never would have imagined 10 years ago to get the quality we now receive from the lowest priced mass brands to the most obscure highest cost products.

Also for the record a lot of people that get called dissenters or negative are actually writing not to complain, but to honestly put in direct terms what they expect when it comes to handing over hard earned cash.  I would think some of that information is invaluable.

Forums and blogs are interesting how they change tone.  A few years ago everyone said, where are the makers, the reps, the technical people and now we have them.  I find some of that good, but I also know that regardless of how forthright and honest most of them are, there is still an agenda to put the best light on their product.  It would be foolish not to.

I've seen a lot of photography forums and except for a few rare instances they all center around equipment.  Users post thousands of images of walls, fields, buildings, their patio, showing edge to edge sharpness of lenses, just sure that the latest 28mm is the one that does it all.  For me this has nothing to do with photography, but I do respect the effort to share knowledge, as long as nobody is looking for a financial return on that sharing.

Talking about equipment I find the least interesting of all the aspects of photography, but it is the safest form of public discourse.  If you don't believe me praise the work of  Terry Richardson and listen to the responses.

If the forum gains in popularity then naturally here come  the dealers,  the manufacturer's reps, the photographers with close associations to the maker and the brand warriors that are in love with their one particular camera.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to sell your product, nothing wrong with having pride in the tools you've worked hard to own, or the  work you produce.  I understand that fully.

But I also understand is the sword cuts both ways.  You can't use what is essentially a public forum to advertise products and not take some hard questions.  But then again, why is world pricing such a hard question to answer, especially when asked by someone that is a potential buyer?  Especially in todays economy, which recent events prove that when it comes to money we are all in this together, like it or not.  The dollar is hooked to the Euro, the Yen and the Pound.

There is not a professional photographer in this world that doesn't have to answer price questions daily.  Whether you shoot weddings, editorial, or million dollar campaigns, you don't get past the first 2 minutes of conversation until price becomes the discussion.  You can't shoot a professional project without money eventually becoming the over ridding topic.   Talent, crew, equipment rental/purchases, the prices are asked hourly by clients and producers so why is it so offensive if someone asks how much is a Sinar, or for that matter any piece of equipment  if I bought it in Russia, New York or Sydney?  

If I sold cameras, I'd look at these type of threads as an opportunity to answer the hard questions.   I would use this as an entry to mention great service, better product, clearer pricing and if I didn't have positive answers to those questions I would explain with clarity how I planned to achieve those goals.

In other words I would look for a way to  turn the conversation around into a positive message rather than get hurt feelings.

Theirry, or if any of the makers  want me to say I appreciate your contributions, ok, I guess I do somewhat appreciate your contributions, but I would appreciate it even more if I knew what is the real out the door costs, what is the typical service turnaround, how available is "the prodeuct " in rentals.

I also believe you should appreciate our responses because obviously you find value here or you wouldn't have logged on in the first place.

If the makers that have recently joined this forum want a theme where people just praise product then there are places out there that offer this.  Just run a few ads in the gear magazines and they'll probably say anything you want. Run a 20 ad buy and they'll give you a product of the year award and reprint your press releases until the world goes blind.   Then again I can promise you that there won't be much to be learned from that and with that thought medium format will continue to sell thousands, rather than 10's of thousands of systems a year.

The alternative to this is to go to someone like Jake Chessum who is on the editorial A-list and ask him why he shoots film with an RZ instead of digital.  Hand him an HY6 and H3dII (I hope I have that right because some of these names get confusing) and ask for an unvarnished, no hurt feelings, no praise the brand response.

Or open up the Sept. 2008 issue of L'umo Vogue and look at those amazing portraits of John Hurt shot by phil poynter and ask how your company can make a color pallet that reacts like that, or if you software has real film presets for color and tone, or allows the introduction of grain into an image without going into photoshop.

Since this thread was based on price and that became objectionable, ask these or other working  photographers how they respond when some art buyer, or photo editor screams why is the invoice not clear and understandable.  

I doubt seriously if the photographer responds by saying, "I am getting a bit tired to get bashed all the time "

I am positive they will not respond that maybe you should use another photographer if you require more than 10 frames a day.

Again for the record nobody is bashing, or calling a medium format owner daft, but instead just asking questions and not really understanding the answers.  Also be clear I'm not in this for the makers, I come at this from the standpoint as a photographer, or as most of the dealers like to call us, end users.  

Maybe potential customer is a better term.

BC

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:16 am »

---- erased ---
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:46:45 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 04:05:40 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:24:57 am by dustblue »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 09:05:59 am »

Shug

If you were paying attention you would see that Hasselblad has been subject to a lot of bashing, but all in general have been criticised for lack of transparent pricing information, small LCD screens, overpricing, software, etc. If you haven't been reading the forum then you are in no position to make such a comment.

I don't think Thierry is talking about hurt feelings, but the frustration at having to respond to the same (mostly false) criticisms over and over and over again. I think he does so with patience and integrity, and many have expressed this same opinion in this forum. You're on your own.

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 09:48:53 am »

(snip)

Shug

I find this remark incredibly offensive and inappropriate. It has no place here, regardless of one's feelings about a company's rep's posts here. Thierry has been a gentleman (and remains so) and is an asset to Sinar and the members of this forum and others. Your remark regarding Patpong and transvestites (or "lady-men") is childish at best. Please leave such posts out of these forums so that we can discuss photography here.

Dale Allyn

gwhitf

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 09:49:08 am »

The alternative to this is to go to someone like Jake Chessum who is on the editorial A-list and ask him why he shoots film with an RZ instead of digital.  Hand him an HY6 and H3dII (I hope I have that right because some of these names get confusing) and ask for an unvarnished, no hurt feelings, no praise the brand response.

Or open up the Sept. 2008 issue of L'umo Vogue and look at those amazing portraits of John Hurt shot by phil poynter and ask how your company can make a color pallet that reacts like that, or if you software has real film presets for color and tone, or allows the introduction of grain into an image without going into photoshop.

Good point. The longer I shoot digital, the more interesting the above two paragraphs become. If it ain't broke, why go fixing something, especially if it complicates your life to a massive degree? You work and work to perfect a trademark look, and then here comes a chip that everyone is shooting. The exact same chip.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 11:04:38 am »

Quote from: DFAllyn
I find this remark incredibly offensive and inappropriate. It has no place here, regardless of one's feelings about a company's rep's posts here. Thierry has been a gentleman (and remains so) and is an asset to Sinar and the members of this forum and others. Your remark regarding Patpong and transvestites (or "lady-men") is childish at best. Please leave such posts out of these forums so that we can discuss photography here.

Dale Allyn

There appears to be three groupings on these forums.

First, there are the manufacturing or sales reps on one end of the spectrum. Often hlepful, sometimes a bit corporate, but generally not too single focused on sales, but rather on answering questions.

Second, there are a large group of photographers in a middle group 9the bulk of the membership) who are genuinely interested in getting questions answered,and sharing information. Usually pretty polite about it all.

Third, there are some who are usually phtoographers but have a strong point of view, which sometime veer into impolitic observations. This group tends to post more frequently than not.

All have contributions to make. The issue is how to keep the discourse civil enough between all these members so that we can all thrive and work with each other.  

Someone once described summer camps for kids as a cross between Fantasy Island and Lord of the Flies. I wonder if thats relevant.

Geoff

Geoff

lisa_r

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:49 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
and then here comes a chip that everyone is shooting. The exact same chip.

I don't agree that the chip is going to determine your "look" to any great degree. To that end: look in any magazines and tell me which camera shot what.

Does this guy's work have the look of any particular chip?
http://frejhedenberg.com/

Anyway, I don't worry about using the same chip as others, as it seems to me that the look of anyone's work is 99% due to the lighting and what's in front of the camera.

gwhitf

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 12:01:42 pm »

Does this guy's work have the look of any particular chip?
http://frejhedenberg.com/

Very nice work. Thanks for that link. I understand what you're saying.

I did see a few blurred double-image things; must have been the mirror slap from the H1...

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 12:09:22 pm »

Good point. The longer I shoot digital, the more interesting the above two paragraphs become. If it ain't broke, why go fixing something, especially if it complicates your life to a massive degree? You work and work to perfect a trademark look, and then here comes a chip that everyone is shooting. The exact same chip.

Aren't you describing the strength of digital, rather than the weakness? The exact same chip = the exact same film stock? How do you then modify that chip or film stock? I suppose you could point to there being more choice of film stocks than chips, and switching to a different film stock costs a lot less than switching to a different chip, but then switching film stocks isn't necessarily conducive towards establishing a trademark look either, is it?

There's an awful lot that goes into a trademark look, and perhaps the film stock is a base, but I see no reason why a chip with your own custom signature cannot be a base either.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

lisa_r

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 12:27:12 pm »

Very nice work. Thanks for that link. I understand what you're saying.

I did see a few blurred double-image things; must have been the mirror slap from the H1...

Good guess gwhitf, as I have heard plenty about that H slap. But, these are all shot by a good friend of mine with the Canon 5D. Not that it matters which camera, as the images are lovely (IMO) and that's all anyone really cares about in the end.

gwhitf

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:23 pm »

But, these are all shot by a good friend of mine with the Canon 5D. Not that it matters which camera, as the images are lovely (IMO) and that's all anyone really cares about in the end.

Strong work, Lisa. Clear vision. But you go and mention the usability of Canon in this forum, and you'll be called to task. Them is fightin' words.

bcooter

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:09 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Aren't you describing the strength of digital, rather than the weakness? The exact same chip = the exact same film stock? How do you then modify that chip or film stock? I suppose you could point to there being more choice of film stocks than chips, and switching to a different film stock costs a lot less than switching to a different chip, but then switching film stocks isn't necessarily conducive towards establishing a trademark look either, is it?

There's an awful lot that goes into a trademark look, and perhaps the film stock is a base, but I see no reason why a chip with your own custom signature cannot be a base either.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Uh sure, lighting, composition, talent selection, wardrobe, sets, scenes, locations, style artists all play into it.

And you can make digital look like any film stock.  the problem is you HAVE to make it look like a film stock vs. the fact that it does.  Digital on the back end requires more work, more time.

Go to this site and view under portraits, especially John Hurt's section

http://www.art-dept.com/artists/poynter/

Tell me what digital camera responds with those colors "out of camera".

Like it or not, you'd be amazed as you go upstream the number of AD's you talk to that would be shocked if a photographer told them preferred digital.

You' would also be surprise at the number of truly great photographers that continue to shoot film.

We all have two lives.  The work we show that gets us work and the work we do for commerce.  For commerce digital is that ugly beast we can't get out of the room, because everybody wants to see it and see it now.  It doesn't add to the creative process, usually hinders it, but it's just a reality we have all learned to live with.

For the work we do to get the commerce, film in many ways is a much better alternative.

If I was comissioned to shoot a look like those John Hurt portraits and was forced to use digital, I'd use a Leica M8 because the color response is so screwy it will produce a unique look.

Though shooting the M8 will be a lot harder than shooting film.

For me, the digital camera company that builds better "film stocks" into their software would make me a lot happier than another 20mpx.

From last week I have the same image, side by side with the Canons and Phase and though the Phase file has slightly more depth, holds the highlights slightly better the color response is way, way, way too sensitive.  The faces pick up every bit of ambient color and it's very hard to get them back down without throwing the whole look off.  Where on the other hand the Canons are a "little" better at this, a little more color dumb,  though once again nothing like those John Hurt photos.

I know the digital equipment makers (that is a new term I now use for camera companies, since photographers are now called end users) have to cover the middle ground and be sure that reds are reds, blues are blue, etc. etc., but we generally are not hired to shoot reality.  We're hired to shoot a beautiful interpretation of reality.

So my take on this is if I had to buy another digital camera, I'd just buy used because in a commercial setting with 10,000 watts of strobes, the P25+ will pretty much do what a p45+ will do or for that matter any other brand.  After they are all using the same sensors for the same two companies.

If I'm wrong on this please show me the examples, because if there is a camera out there that really will change my work for the better, I'm willing to invest.

BC

Carsten W

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »

You' would also be surprise at the number of truly great photographers that continue to shoot film.

While I don't disagree with your statement, it is not a useful basis for extrapolation. What would be far more informative is how many up-and-coming great photographers will use film versus digital. This group of photographers have no vested interest in film, no hard-to-kill habits, or general prejudices, in either direction. They will simply use what they prefer, and walk their own path.

Any number of existing great photographers use film because it is what they know, not because it is necessarily even better for their purposes. The type of mind which does excellent work with chemicals and the darkroom is not necessarily the same type of mind which can do great work on a computer, and vice versa. Some can make the jump, some not, although the majority of photographers will be somewhere in the middle, with a solid group who can do film better than digital, regardless of the potential of each medium. Some who can make the jump choose not to, some choose to do it.

I think that the transition from film to digital will coincide with a generational transition of "chemically minded" photographers to those more "computationally minded", with a few being able to straddle the gap. It is IMO simply a question of time passing, and the old greats retiring, before the above statement is false, even though nothing will change about the background facts of chemistry vs. digital.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:47:56 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

lisa_r

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 01:50:33 pm »

Them is fightin' words.

True. :-)

Just got back from the international magazine store. What's funny about fashion right now is that while the backs get higher rez/sharper/etc., lots of fashion photography is going in the opposite direction. People going out of their way to make their digital images look blurry, soft, shallow d.o.f., adding grain, and generally making it look like someone kicked the tripod.

Lots of it looks really good. Still, when you know someone was shooting with a 40mp Phase but it looks like Sarah Moon did it...it's interesting is all I'm saying.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up