Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length  (Read 2461 times)

Peter F

Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:32:35 am »

Using the search bar in LR2 (Or, is it a filter bar, I can't remember), we have the choice to select certain attributes for searching.  But I can't find focal distance or similar title?  Surely it can filter for this feature.  Right?  Can someone direct me as to where it is?  I think I am looking in the correct area... I found ISO, for example.

Thanks.

Peter F.

(I use an ultrazoom, and I do notice that the EXIF file includes the focal distance information, so I would expect there to be a way to filter for it.)

genemcc

• http://pixveritas.com
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:16 pm »

Hey Peter!

Focal Length in not a filtering option. You can use Lens, however. That will give you a range on the zooms. The primes, of course, will be at their stated focal length.

Gene
Li

Peter F

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »

Gene,  Thanks.  I was hoping I could use it to find, for example, all pictures shot at a certain focal length since all I have is zooms.  I can do this in the photoshop organizer so am surprised lightroom does not support that function too.

Peter F.

Quote from: Peter F
Using the search bar in LR2 (Or, is it a filter bar, I can't remember), we have the choice to select certain attributes for searching.  But I can't find focal distance or similar title?  Surely it can filter for this feature.  Right?  Can someone direct me as to where it is?  I think I am looking in the correct area... I found ISO, for example.

Thanks.

Peter F.

(I use an ultrazoom, and I do notice that the EXIF file includes the focal distance information, so I would expect there to be a way to filter for it.)

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »

Hmmm...that does seem odd.  You might think since that info is available in LR that you could filter on it.  I was kind of thinking the same thing to myself (once I got all of my images into LR); look at some of my zooms and see where the focal lengths that I really use.  I know there is a 3rd party utility that can extract this info, but I just figured that it would be in LR.

Cheers...

Quote from: Peter F
Gene,  Thanks.  I was hoping I could use it to find, for example, all pictures shot at a certain focal length since all I have is zooms.  I can do this in the photoshop organizer so am surprised lightroom does not support that function too.

Peter F.

genemcc

• http://pixveritas.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:59 pm »

Yes, that's true. But to be fair, we are only at version 2.1 and already this is one powerful application! Let's give Adobe some time. They've been busy with the CS4 launch for a while. Maybe by 2.5???  
Gene
Li

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:28:48 am »

Bridge certainly gives you option to filter by focal length. Not something I can think of needing, but there for those for whom it is useful.
Personally I find Bridge much better at sorting through work than LR, as Bridge's filter panel is so much better than LR's recent clunky copy of it.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up