Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 220   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1238879 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #4160 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »

You basically setup all your lights before sunset? It's very difficult to setup lights for a night scene when working in daylight, because you can't exactly see what the lights are doing. Plus when the perfect sunset moment comes I find my self scrambling to adjust lights before missing out the sky view.  One thing I thought about to counter this problem is to 1. setup the camera and prepare the space in advance 2. capture the perfect window view  3. adjust the lights without worrying about the time 4. add the window view in post.

80% of the lighting is in place before the sun hits the horizon. I try to have a pretty detailed vision in my mind for how the shot should look, so it's not too hard to figure out light placements. Wattage is another matter; that's what's being tweaked as the ambient light starts dropping.

Rob C

« Reply #4161 on: January 11, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »

Kodachrome 64 Pro converted to b/white.

Client: Hewden/Stuart Group plc.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:40:25 PM by Rob C »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4162 on: January 12, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »

Shot this a couple of days ago.  ISO 100, 30s at f/11 with a linear polarizer.  Use a good deal f additional lights, but turned them off at different times throughout the exposure.  I did a general raw processing for the entire image, then did a raw processing customized for the stage and dropped it in. 
Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent moving furniture."  Arnold Newman
“Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.”  William Faulkner

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #4163 on: January 12, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

Rob C

Love it!!

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #4164 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »

This really is superb!

Rob C
Ian L. Sitren
SecondFocus

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4165 on: January 12, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »

Amazing the feedback a couple of perky nipples will get :)
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM
LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #4166 on: January 12, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »

Actually I am just in awe of the tonality of the black and white conversion from Kodachrome. It is just beautiful!

And it is exactly my kind of subject matter :)

Ian L. Sitren
SecondFocus

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4167 on: January 12, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »

Makes one wonder why architects doon't put a couple on every building.  ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website. New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4168 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »

:)
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM
LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

Rob C

« Reply #4169 on: January 13, 2013, 05:27:22 AM »

Look at the Carlton in Cannes and the Negresco in Nice.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #4170 on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:30 AM »

Thanks, haef 'n' Second; praise indeed from you guys!

Yes, I've often thought that in the right light, Kodachrome was preferrable to any b/w film for the look that I currently like in b/w prints. Partly, I think it's down to the exposure methodology used: incident light readings based on retaining important highlights. The problem I face converting from Kodachrome is scanning: I'm not very clever with that, and have a simple CanoScan which I'm sure I don't use to its best advantage, as it is.

Oh well, it was all fun whilst it lasted!

Thanks again,

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:37:57 AM by Rob C »

KLaban

• Website
« Reply #4171 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

Rob, it certainly is a lovely conversion.

Rob C

« Reply #4172 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

Thank you, Keith; it owes a lot to the model, Denise Denny.

Unusual sort of beauty, and amazing actual sex-appeal. We were staying in a small Nassau hotel (Pilot House) near the Paradise Island Bridge, and I remember one evening when she, the other girl (probably more pretty) and my wife and I walked into the bar. I can tell you (though I didn't really notice at the time) that my wife later informed me that every eye in that place was instantly drawn to Denise.

The things women can notice in an instant.

Rob C

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #4173 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »

You basically setup all your lights before sunset? It's very difficult to setup lights for a night scene when working in daylight, because you can't exactly see what the lights are doing. Plus when the perfect sunset moment comes I find my self scrambling to adjust lights before missing out the sky view.  One thing I thought about to counter this problem is to 1. setup the camera and prepare the space in advance 2. capture the perfect window view  3. adjust the lights without worrying about the time 4. add the window view in post.

Abdul, the best way to handle that is to cover all the windows with black while setting up the shot.  Then you can get the light level perfect.  In a traditional dusk view like this, you should be getting almost no ambient daylight when you finally expose.  We typically uncover the windows 30-40 minutes prior to dusk and spend that time hiding reflections.  When the window reaches the desirable brightness level you should be ready to go.

Cheers,
CB

pixjohn

« Reply #4174 on: January 13, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

I just use experience shooting dusk. Years of lighting I can guesstimate what light, how much if any scrims  and when its time to shoot, just tweak the lights.

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #4175 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:37 AM »

Abdul, the best way to handle that is to cover all the windows with black while setting up the shot.  Then you can get the light level perfect.  In a traditional dusk view like this, you should be getting almost no ambient daylight when you finally expose.  We typically uncover the windows 30-40 minutes prior to dusk and spend that time hiding reflections.  When the window reaches the desirable brightness level you should be ready to go.

Cheers,
CB

Thanks this is a great tip, is there any particular materiel you find best to use as a cover? I am thinking about trying your suggestion with the black plastic bags made for large garbage containers; cheap and light.

I just use experience shooting dusk. Years of lighting I can guesstimate what light, how much if any scrims  and when its time to shoot, just tweak the lights.

I can see this working in typical spaces like standard hotel bedrooms, but for challenging irregular spaces this will not work. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:26:34 AM by Abdulrahman Aljabri »
MY SITE: ALJABRI MEDIA PRODUCTION

Abdulrahman - and yes its a long name but has a meaning "servant of the merciful". you can also call me abdul

Rob C

« Reply #4176 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »

Thanks this is a great tip, is there any particular materiel you find best to use as a cover? I am thinking about trying your suggestion with the black plastic bags made for large garbage containers; cheap and light.
I can see this working in typical spaces like standard hotel bedrooms, but for challenging irregular spaces this will not work. 

Won't they pick up shine that might still be apparent when you make the exterior exposure? Plastic has highlights, black or not, if light hits it.

Rob C

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #4177 on: January 14, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »

Won't they pick up shine that might still be apparent when you make the exterior exposure? Plastic has highlights, black or not, if light hits it.

Rob C

I am not sure, why would that be a problem? If they are being used just to block the light from the outside until it gets dark, would it make a difference if they show reflections?
MY SITE: ALJABRI MEDIA PRODUCTION

Abdulrahman - and yes its a long name but has a meaning "servant of the merciful". you can also call me abdul

Rob C

« Reply #4178 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »

I am not sure, why would that be a problem? If they are being used just to block the light from the outside until it gets dark, would it make a difference if they show reflections?

Maybe I'm stuck thinking transparency and in-camera double exposure. Guess digital manipulation is a ballgame that I seldom think much about beyond the straight picture.

Mea culpa.

Rob C

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #4179 on: January 14, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »

Black plastic would cause problems, if there are other reflective objects that pick up those reflections. I've used this technique, and the easiest solution is to use black flocked paper sheets. They're easy to carry and use.

Kumar
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 220   Go Up