Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1619155 times)

fredjeang

Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #3640 on: August 18, 2012, 07:04:11 am »

For Rob and Fred,

Cheers.

BC
Ahhh....that's my Coot !

Ps: James, I understand you: a gig is a gig. It's not that I didn't liked the kid's images, simply it didn't look like your imagery. But we're not living in times where to play the rock star photographer and deny gigs.
I see very important names here doing everything, accepting everything because it's a lot more complicated. I thought first it was because of the spanish exception (crisis) but those guys are working worldwide.
My main employeer is doing less and less fashion wich is his strengh and has do deal with those english royal familly assignements. There are aseptic images of P Charles etc...but that's what pays the bills and allows to move forward.
A part from a very few like Testino who can maintain the boat in the very same direction because they are more hollywood stars than anything else, I think that this is a time of doing whatever campaign falls, like it or not, we learn from everything anyway, they are all oportunities and it gives money.

I have a campaign project right now in wich I'd need an old Rolls but it was out of question for budgets reasons and my request was denied (I expected it). The result is that I have to create this Rolls in post (it's motion) and at first I had no bloody idea how to do it. Then I watched a campaign shooted by Aveillan and saw the how (no compositing nor 3D involved). Now I'm learning it and it's damn interesting. Limitations are generaly productives. As you write, I want to bang this drum, no matter the brand of the drum.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:41:49 am by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3641 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

Thanks, bcooter, for posting the shots; she made my little heart beat!

I'm facing a strange situation: there is a thing they do here in summer on the beach beside the promenade: some people of unknown origin build very complex sandcastles which they decorate with lights, and then attempt to charge tourists a Euro a pop to photograph the structures. Of course, being in a public place they have no legal rights, and they are probably bordering on being illegally here themselves. But, I noticed last year that one of the 'keepers' of the spot and the money plate is very attractive, enough so that I'd have imagined it would have allowed her to escape condemnation to such a job. She's back again this year, and one day as I wandered past after lunch on my way to the marina (where I always walk like a mad Englishman in the mid-day sun) she happened to be standing leaning against a lamp post, pretty much in the manner of your girl in the shot here. Looked beautiful.

My initial reaction was to chat her up and suggest photography... but I didn't. Something in my head (common sense?) keeps warning me off - probably, no, certainly the gypsy aspect of it and the fear of getting involved beyond the level I'd want to, which is just photography. At my stage in life, you bet! The point, really, is that she has that sort of face that your model managed to create, and it all seems such a waste. But I guess it's best left alone. Instinct...  Anyway, I've never had much luck trying to work with non-professional models.

;-(

Ciao -

Rob C

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #3642 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Rob, Go back tomorrow and say hello to her.  Jim

fredjeang

« Reply #3643 on: August 18, 2012, 11:41:31 am »

I think Jim is right Rob,

The NO is already for sure (if you don't try) and who knows what she would answer if you try? Probably no, but not guarantee.

Rob C

« Reply #3644 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »

Hi -

It's not any fear of her saying "no!"; that wouldn't worry me at all; the problem is that I'm not mad keen to get involved with the rest of the gang/group of them. I think that introducing myself into their world would mark me out as a target for all manner of problems, and I don't need any of that stress. Obvious visibility of a comfortable lifestyle isn't going to win me any friends down there - just the wrong sort of attention. We are clearly worlds apart and I don't think that ever works...

I understand the point of view expressed by you, guys, but unfortunately it just doesn't feel the bright thing to do in the particular circumstances. But it would have been nice! Why didn't she just work tables?

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #3645 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »

Hi Fred,

every time you mention that you studied art in Paris I get an jalousie attack. I want to cry if I hear about the job you had as a student. The only thing that comforts me is that after all that live only can become worse.

Best,
Johannes

Hi Johannes.

Well, when I was in Paris I wanted to be in New-York,  when I was in England I wanted to be in Spain, and when I was in Madrid I wanted to be in Japan...
It took me many many many years, tons of break-up with my girlfriends, suffering of all kinds, years of yoga and meditation to understand that the very best place to be is the one you are at the moment
and the very best person to be with is your self.

As for the student job, it was really a student job, no glamour. I was sorting the internal letters for displaying in the offices...
And don't think that being a student in fine arts was always a fun experience...you should see that, a bunch of problematic existentialists childrens with no humour and intelectual posers.
it was very far from sex drugs and RnR. (maybe Alain Briot that also was in the Paris fine arts a generation before mine had more fun)
At that time I was involved in fashion, couture, in part because a woman I was going out with was working in a high fashion brand as a seamstress, and
I learned a lot from her. I wanted to be a fashion photographer and ended painting with very little success. As for everything  in life, there was lights and shades, things that were working well, others that didn't at all etc...

The first movie I was involved in at that time ended in a complete disaster. It was a 16mm b&w filmed with an Arri in a little studio rive gauche. I couldn't stand the 2 actors and I had to live.
I was so shy and unconfident that I ended periodically destroying my productions to make sure nobody see them. In Paris I met people like Lagarfeld, talking about unsignificant topics but I wasn't able to use those contacts for my own purpose. So you know a little more about the real story.

In fact, I'm  older and much happier now, maybe because I know a little bit more about this journey call life. I'm just starting to enjoy it fully and it gives me great satisfaction.

So you see Johannes how the mind works and invents its own scenario that has very little to do with the reality lived by each individual.
Not a long time ago I was invited to a shooting party at the house of a big photographer. But then, the models that were supposed to come canceled and we ended alone watching the formula one gran prix while eating crabs.
Then we went to swim in the house's pool and in this relax atmosphere I took the oportunity to ask him about how he started etc...how does one reach to work with the best models in the world etc...
I was expecting the big story, the Hollywood's version. The guy started to talk about his life, the real one, not the one I had constructed in my mind...and all the glamourous ideas I had vanished. He went through a lot of harsh things, included death of a son, sordid assignements at the beginning, humiliations etc...then also good time.
This afternoon I learned a lot more about the aparences and the surface. Our minds fool us, reality is never that good nor that bad.

Watch the movie Lawrence of arabia, then read the Book of Lawrence, the 7th pilars of wisdom (the truth story). Big difference!

Cheers.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:47:46 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3646 on: August 19, 2012, 04:14:18 am »

Ah Fred, the LuLa philosopher.

Of course, you are a mirror to the rest of us. I'd be very surprised if anyone has started off with a mental target and achieved exactly the shot in life that he intended. Half of the problem is other people: their plans get in the way of yours; they often want the same things as you do! Damned inconvenient.

"and the very best person to be with is your self."

That's the one failure (to my mind) that I find in your life-view: I would give, do anything to be back with my wife. She made my life simply by being there. Because of her support, help and patience and absolute lack of complaints at the ups and downs of being a snapper's wife I was able to indulge the ego-trip that was a photographic career. I used to go off on jobs with girls and imagined myself some kind of hero, and then after a few of those trips I realised that when I got home, there was nobody with whom to enjoy the memories, chat about the events, the places etc. and so as soon as the budgets got large enough, my wife became part of the group and travel took on a hugely new and better dimension; years after it had faded into memory we still had the occasional laugh at things we shared from those days... how much finer an experience than doing it alone.

Well, I have had the solitary experience for the past three-and-a-half years, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Rob C

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #3647 on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:08 pm »

This one's for Fred & Rob.  New project for a federal government agency, warm and cozy enough for ya?

;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3648 on: August 20, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

Quite appropriate for a government agency: bare minimum, bare essentials... very efficient: nowhere to sit, just to look busy hurrying through those corridors of power... no chairs, no desks, no books, nothing to waste tax-payer money. Brilliant! ;)

Rob C

« Reply #3649 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:32 am »

This one's for Fred & Rob.  New project for a federal government agency, warm and cozy enough for ya?

;)

A perfect example of a country rolling in milk and honey. Or is that syrup?

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #3650 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:17 am »

And I thought I new it all about minimalism  ::)

Nice tones though.

Ps: Chris, you are on your way to answer to what scientist are desperatly trying to investigate about the nothingness-emptyness of the universe. Maybe those spaces are the representation of the singularity of a black hole where time and mater don't exist anymore.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:05:00 am by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #3651 on: August 21, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »

Minimalism somewhat confounds me.  If you live/work in Manhattan this space is expensive, in Little Rock, all it costs if building materials.  Problem is people in NY would dig it, Little Rock not so much. 

Sometimes I'm amazed at how beautiful simple objects can be, sometimes it leaves me cold.

I look at this photograph and adding people I can think of a dozen scenarios that would make it interesting, but that's just me, because I primarily photograph people.

Given that, it's a hell of a great and IMO good leap from the standard government project with smudged tan green walls and counters covered with paper signs saying stand to the left.

Lately I don't get it.  It seems we all get upset when some group, public or private spends money to take our surroundings and life further, but regardless of funding, isn't that the goal . . . to move forward?

Everywhere we turn we hear austerity and in every country I work everyone says the same thing . . . don't spend money, don't build more, don't . . . well you get the idea.

Standing with our feet stuck in sand doesn't do anything for anyone.

I always thought  the idea of growth is  to change and improve our condition, open our minds, do something that is different not the same. 

I understand learning from the past, I just don't understand staying there.

Still, it would be a great location to shoot a cosmetic spot.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #3652 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:12 am »

Lately I don't get it.  It seems we all get upset when some group, public or private spends money to take our surroundings and life further, but regardless of funding, isn't that the goal . . . to move forward?

Everywhere we turn we hear austerity and in every country I work everyone says the same thing . . . don't spend money, don't build more, don't . . . well you get the idea.

Standing with our feet stuck in sand doesn't do anything for anyone.

I always thought  the idea of growth is  to change and improve our condition, open our minds, do something that is different not the same. 

I understand learning from the past, I just don't understand staying there.

IMO

BC

But it’s not just people saying don’t spend money; it’s a fact that money simply isn’t there for the spending.

I’ve been somewhat mystified by the ease with which blame is heaped solely on the bankers (with their watchers) of this world: it appears that the people who take out loans that they can’t service are absolved from all and any responsibility in the matter. That the sellers of these loans make commission on clinching the deals isn’t the only reason for the problem, it’s also at least as much the fault of those who leap in where their brains must tell them they can’t go. Yes, almost any society or family can stand these dumb deals for a while, say a couple of months or more in the case of a family, and then when the money in doesn’t match the money out, the shit hits the fan. It’s the same with governments and local authorities, except that their fan is a little further away. But, in the end, that fan hits their shit.

And that’s where we are today: not only individuals but entire countries have made the fan connection.

It shows where Mrs Thatcher, a shopkeeper’s daughter, had the firmer grasp on commercial and fiscal reality: she understood that the concepts of supply and demand are related and that neither can you realistically buy what you can’t afford; that there is no point in producing products that no-one wants to buy. Inevitably, entire industries fell into the bin and what happened?  What happened was that, ultimately, they shot the messenger: some news is just too grim to swallow, so just pretend there’s a way around it; it’ll keep the mobs off the streets a while longer.

Well, you can’t. That’s where we are, all of us, in or on the edge of that bin. Europe looks for handouts, others look to providing them and making more money from that; the lessons are not being learned and the fudge continues all round.

So, of course wiser heads are saying no, don’t spend money you don’t really have available for the spending; don’t keep digging the hole you’re in any the deeper or you’ll never be able to climb back out. I really believe that we have still, generally, not seen the mess that we are all in, that the illusion of blaming individual sectors of the economy is still thought to be the easy paddle to the beach from the wreck, that sacrifice of the few will save the necks of the many.

What will save the many? I don’t know, I don’t think anyone knows. I imagine that the only way will be to sink to the bottom and start again from there with, I hope, the benefits of hindsight. But I’m not optimistic; it happened to all the big civilizations that came before us – they rose and they fell. And it wasn’t always a smooth transition from one to the next.

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3653 on: August 22, 2012, 05:24:12 am »

But it’s not just people saying don’t spend money; it’s a fact that money simply isn’t there for the spending.

I’ve been somewhat mystified by the ease with which blame is heaped solely on the bankers
Rob C

This like saying:

"Don't blame the drug dealers, blame the drug addicts"

¿So... is the solution national bankruptcy, lawlessness, mass rioting and looting and mass starvation?

...if countries do not have the financial clout to pay their armed forces or buy arms, then anyone could invade - especial if NATO approved.

Decades ago... if any country was in difficulty the Western world supported it "to stop the communists getting in"

¿Anybody want Greece?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

fredjeang

« Reply #3654 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:01 am »

I really believe that we have still, generally, not seen the mess that we are all in...

I do beleive it too.

I imagine that the only way will be to sink to the bottom and start again from there with, I

It seems that we are going there inevitably.

euhh...this has turned way out of topic and we're now ready to be fired and sent to the coffee corner zone.

Well, it's holliday, Chris Sanderson might be having SBBs (siestas, beers and baths) and probably haven't read this...yet...

Rob C

« Reply #3655 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:49 am »

This like saying:"Don't blame the drug dealers, blame the drug addicts"¿So... is the solution national bankruptcy, lawlessness, mass rioting and looting and mass starvation?...if countries do not have the financial clout to pay their armed forces or buy arms, then anyone could invade - especial if NATO approved.Decades ago... if any country was in difficulty the Western world supported it "to stop the communists getting in"¿Anybody want Greece?

1. Blaming the drug addicts. Of course that makes sense; they are the idiots who provide a market; am I to hear yet more wet liberal excuses for everybody’s failures of mind and character? That, of course, doesn’t mean don’t blame the suppliers, too. Blame both and deal with both. Finally.

2. The solution: I already wrote I have no solution; is using fancy, non-existent money a solution? Does countries buying worthless ‘debt bonds’ make sense?

3. Invasions. As all seem to be in similar straights I’m not sure I see any organization wanting to declare war, I believe it’s just Syria’s good luck that the ‘west’ feels bankrupt at this time. If not, I’m sure that the military complex (in the sense of the tool makers and the reconstruction gurus) would have been banging their invasion drums long ago. But, why would they risk their money if they doubt the governments can pay them back and if they also suspect that the foreign locals being messed with are no longer willing just to play victim any longer?

4. The ‘communists’ have already discredited themselves in both Russia and China, the patent failures of that philosophy have already come home to roost and both of them are far from where that term once implied; sure, North K and Cuba are still playing catch-up, but it takes time and internal realities to make the changes. But they will.

5. Greece. Where people forget reality is here: a civilization that is only a few years away from the pastoral can always go back. Before the 50s and the onset of mass tourism, Mallorca was a quiet, farming, fishing and grazing land with some light local industries such as the making of leather products from the natural abundance of raw material. Came tourism and concrete flourished as did thousands of useless bars and discos. If tourism and its pollution vanishes, the same people can swallow their angst and return to what they once did  (they are not afraid of hard work, as even their lives running bars will attest) and recreate virtual self-sufficiency. By no means did they all sell off their land for the mighty mark or pound. They have an economy of scale that worked and could work again. It’s more the huge industrialized nations for whom I fear; they have long lost the heritage of self-sufficiency they once had and there’s not a lot left to go back to in any meaningful way.

It is grim; I don’t think there can be any soft solutions and, as I said, I don't have them.

Rob C

MJSPhoto

• Morgan J Segal Photography
« Reply #3656 on: August 22, 2012, 11:08:42 am »

I’ve been somewhat mystified by the ease with which blame is heaped solely on the bankers (with their watchers) of this world: it appears that the people who take out loans that they can’t service are absolved from all and any responsibility in the matter. That the sellers of these loans make commission on clinching the deals isn’t the only reason for the problem, it’s also at least as much the fault of those who leap in where their brains must tell them they can’t go.

The problem with your argument is that when you hire a mortgage broker, banker, etc. you entrust them to look out for your best interests, not to find ways to dangle a carrot in front of you and get you in over your head so they can make more money. I experienced this first hand back when we bought our home (in hindsight at the worst possible time) when a mortgage broker I had hired was playing all kinds of games, some illegal, I had to fire him.

That said, this thread isn't the place for this discussion so here is a photo

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #3657 on: August 22, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »

Hear hear!

and here.  Photo.  Killing time waiting for dusk to drop on a recent shoot, I set off to wander around downtown with the little camera (my 5d2).

Rob C

« Reply #3658 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »

Johannes, you don't need to swim; you're already too fit!

Now we know 'where you go to, my lovely' with that specially designed topless swimsuit! I loved Peter's music too.

Yep, those were the friggin' days! Happily, I did recognize them most of the time. Almost feel tempted to post a pictrure as an aide-memoire... nah, I'll sit on it. Would have been a professional image, though. Never mind.

I like the picture; I think there's a new Honda sports machine just out; the ad was over almost before I woke up to what I was watching.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:14:22 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #3659 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:28 pm »

The problem with your argument is that when you hire a mortgage broker, banker, etc. you entrust them to look out for your best interests, not to find ways to dangle a carrot in front of you and get you in over your head so they can make more money. I experienced this first hand back when we bought our home (in hindsight at the worst possible time) when a mortgage broker I had hired was playing all kinds of games, some illegal, I had to fire him.

As that gentleman used to say in tennis: You cannot be serious!

Dear God, the entire ethic of business is the same: transfer the most money from account A to account B, with account B being yours!

When we sold our house to come here, the estate agent said it was worth pounds x; I laughed and told him to market it at pounds x plus twenty percent, which was my estimate of its worth. The house sold in two weeks and at my price, first view from that customer. Agencies are interested in regularity of sales, they have their own constant overheads to meet, they don't have time to hang about waiting for the best prices. Anyone working on low salary and depending on making commission isn't open to worrying about you; he worries about making the figures and meeting his own needs each payday.

It isn't nice but it is obvious.

I do like the photograph; saw the tail end of a commercial the other night which was showing a new Honda sports car... missed most of it before I became aware of what I was watching.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:18:45 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 214   Go Up