Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1619668 times)

bcooter

Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #3620 on: August 16, 2012, 01:15:17 pm »

You know your both right, but a gigs a gig.

Somedays you gotta play pop when in your heart is metal.

I prefer to shoot it this way, but . . . once again, a gig is a gig.

BC

Pingang

« Reply #3621 on: August 16, 2012, 01:23:56 pm »

very beautiful, I love the group shot!

BR,
Pingang

Rob C

« Reply #3622 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:33 pm »

You know your both right, but a gigs a gig.

Somedays you gotta play pop when in your heart is metal.

I prefer to shoot it this way, but . . . once again, a gig is a gig.

BC

It's going to take a lot to better those shots of the girl leaning against a wall (or something) in the bar or restaurant with the jukebox of some year or so ago...

Woooof!

Rob C

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #3623 on: August 16, 2012, 09:58:28 pm »

Cool project... a client's own offices.  We've done about 5 days of interiors and will be heading back with the motion cameras soon.

CB

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3624 on: August 16, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »

sweet project!
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #3625 on: August 17, 2012, 07:07:01 am »

Chris, Those look great!  The designers did a nice job too.  Jim

fredjeang

« Reply #3626 on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:49 am »

I think that for an arquitecture photographer (well, now image maker) living in Chicago, one couldn't be happier.

However, if there are undoubdably talented arquitects and designers, I find the spaces they create generaly freezing, unhuman and ultimatly worrying.
It's like those Hopper paintings (I need to go to see the big retrospective currently in Madrid), those big empty spaces where loneliness touches the absurd of power etc...

If I always found the work of CB exemplary from a photographical point of view, the spaces of those assignements are cold, too large and often an egoic style exercice from the arquitects more than a real relation with the humnan nature.
In the end those arquitecture pics are resumed to lightning and composition of the manifestation of disproportions and megalomania in the projects and spaces. It's not the fault of the shooter but the subjects.
Look at this horror floor...better not to have a hole in your pants, or appropriate to watch between the legs of the secrataries, if they don't catch you and put on trial...
I'd hate to work in 90% of those unhuman spaces.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:31:48 am by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3627 on: August 17, 2012, 12:27:33 pm »

I echo the thoughts about the floors; exactly like the tiles on the floors of Palma airport when they did it up some years ago: one spilled drink and a hundred broken legs before the cleaners' waggon gets there to mop it all up. A side-effect of the shine was that it tended to make people walking feel dizzy from all the reflected overhead lights; disorientation.

It's the books that amuse me: for what are they supposed to be? Do people read them; are they for reference (cribbing) or to sell ideas to clients? It's just as advertising agency receptions tended to look like in the seventies... pretentious. But, they have to do something with these buildings, so I guess they do the best they can and I certainly can't come up with better plans!

Obviously, the photography is bloody lovely, but the places are way off my own likes, which is probably why I never got to own such a space in the first instance, regardless of how I might have employed it.

Rob C

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #3628 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:57 pm »

Heh... that's funny.  We must have VERY different sensibilities.  After spending 5 days immersed in the environment with it's inhabitants, I can say that the design had a really positive effect on their moods and their ability to collaborate creatively.  Hell, when I walked in I just thought "this is so damn cool" that I was really happy being there.  I am definitely a modernist at heart, so I have a hard time relating to your point of view.

fredjeang

« Reply #3629 on: August 17, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »

Heh... that's funny.  We must have VERY different sensibilities.  After spending 5 days immersed in the environment with it's inhabitants, I can say that the design had a really positive effect on their moods and their ability to collaborate creatively.  Hell, when I walked in I just thought "this is so damn cool" that I was really happy being there.  I am definitely a modernist at heart, so I have a hard time relating to your point of view.

But CB is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. ;)

Dr Jekyll is the modernist, detaillist, minimalist, maniac and precise like a swiss watch

then there is Mr Hyde.

He wakes-up with a motion cam in hand, preferably red. (except when he does motion lens testings in Portland Oregon... wich is the jekyll's mark !!)
Mr Hyde is vibrant, organic, human, emotional, close and warm, messy, nonchalant and fun.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:10:43 pm by fredjeang »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3630 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »

It's the books that amuse me: for what are they supposed to be? Do people read them; are they for reference (cribbing) or to sell ideas to clients?

The "books" are integral to any architects or interior designers office. Amusing?-a necessity really and you have to design in some space for it. The books are of building specs and regs, ADA specs and regs, materials, materials suppliers, carpet and flooring samples, code requirements, engineering specs, furniture catalogues, roofing materials and specs etc. etc. Every office has these-you really couldn't get by without them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:14:57 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

TMARK

« Reply #3631 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »

I am a commited Modernist, although I live in a 190 year old Federalist (Georgian to those in the UK) town house.  Looks like Knightsbridge in London.  The essense of Modern interiors is similar in function and mood, if not in aesthetic, to Federalist style.  High ceilings, wide halls, lots of light.  Open space.  The ad agency where I work is a fully modern building, a bit cliche but the open space is nice.  There is a nice contrast with warm organic materials, which make these big spaces cozy.   The trend is design to use "reclaimed" woods etc really does provide a warmth that Modern interiors sometimes lack.

Our house is primarily furnished with Danish modern furniture, a few old family pieces ranging from Chippendale to Deco.  It all works, and is surprisingly similar in feel to my office.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3632 on: August 17, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »

... I find the spaces they create generaly freezing, unhuman and ultimatly worrying... the spaces of those assignements are cold, too large... disproportions and megalomania... I'd hate to work in 90% of those unhuman spaces.

+1

On a brighter side, given that those who work there must use rollerblades/jogging/race-walking to negotiate such distances between offices/cubicles/cafeteria, there you go: instant exercise! ;D

Come to think of it, I find a striking similarity between medieval churches and modern American architecture: both are designed purposefully to instill (in those who walk in) the sense of insignificance, nothingness and utter humility in relation to the symbol those buildings represent: God/church in one case, and the modern god - money, in another.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:38:02 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

fredjeang

« Reply #3633 on: August 17, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

There is no doubt that there are great talents under the sign of modernism. And of course we have different sensibilities in wich we respond more or less.

But personaly I find that where modernism fails with human is that it's probably the arquitecture in wich nothing is left to chance or accident. Everything is highly studdied included furnitures, materials and interior design. It's the summum of human interventionism, and of course this is the predilected form of financial powers, advertising agencies etc... This arquitecture (an arquitecture for arquitects, ADs and designers) looks for perfection through creativity, and fails IMO in humanity because perfection has never been our essence, nor the concern of our environement

Nature, or cosmos is not only perfection nor predictible, it's also chaos, disorder and hazard. It's the same difference between a french garden and an italian's one. When I walk on a french garden I feel that something's wrong because every meter square is planified and ordered while the italian garden is a balance between human decisions and nature disorder. There is a place for the accident and unperfection that I don't find in the french pretencious gardens. With modernism I feel something very similar, I recognize the talent but IMO they fail in too much interventionism and precision. It's a finite proposal.

It's impossible for a person who work in such places to display its own chaos. Those spaces are thought for collaborative harmonic work, within a very studdied zenified conditionned air, not suitable for people like those:

Ok, I admit, maybe too much the other way...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:15:18 pm by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3634 on: August 17, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »

Yet again a post lost to using the form in the website! I never learn. I weep and try again in Word, having forgotten the morsels of greatness that I threw upon the waters…

Slobodan, you are absolutely right: those places are designed to instil the fear of God, to undermine client confidence, and, most important of all, prepare the mind of all who venture therein to the inevitable receipt of a very large and impressive invoice.

I married into a family engaged in the construction and civil engineering industry and, in fact, my first studio was in the top floor of their building, I can attest to the fact that no such size of library existed in their offices.  Yes, they obviously had to have a certain quantity of quality reference/regulations material to hand, but nothing as ‘impressive’ at all. I know architects here, too, and have seen nothing as dramatic. However, I suppose that the next step will be a copycat exercise in the medical profession… no, wait!…

You could always achieve the same effect by filling an entire wall of the studio with photography-related books, but I suppose the inference there would be that you simply haven’t enough work if you have time to do all that reading… poor snappers!

Anyway, as I said, the photographs are damned good, regardless of the showbiz qualifications of the set.

Rob C

shelby_lewis

« Reply #3635 on: August 17, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »

It's the books that amuse me: for what are they supposed to be? Do people read them; are they for reference (cribbing) or to sell ideas to clients? It's just as advertising agency receptions tended to look like in the seventies... pretentious. But, they have to do something with these buildings, so I guess they do the best they can and I certainly can't come up with better plans!

Actually they all look like spec books (I've got a degree in architecture and worked in the field for about 7 years). Basically all offices have shelves and shelves of books from the various CSI divisions that are supplied by product vendors and consultants. They are references to how the products work and how one would detail/design with said products. The problem is that finding storage space for them is difficult... so this office appears to have designed their storage into a public space.

CSI Masterformat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterFormat

TMARK

« Reply #3636 on: August 17, 2012, 05:52:57 pm »

Slobo, Rob and Fred,

I understand your points, and agree with them to an extent.  But there is a distinction between an office, which is supposed to bring oder out of chaos and operate like an efficient machine (which we all know is bullshit), and an artist's studio or a house.  Thus with commercial, we get the Modern aesthetic because the aesthetic, if not the original intent of the early European Modernists, is to show order and mastery, much like a 14th century church.  Especially in America where the real religeon is buiness.

As Fred pointed out, modernism and minimalism is expensive to maintain.  One thing out of place and its a problem.  This reality, and the American interpretation of Modernism as a style rather than an overarching ethos of social, cultural and political order, ensured Modernism's failure.  At least in the US.  Remember the introduction of Modernism in America was Phillip Johnson's show "The International Style" at MoMA.  For the original European Modernists, it was anything but a "Style".  It was a revolution.  The style didn't comport with actual machine age principls, either.  It was style, rather than substance.  Meanwhile Buckminster Fuller was taking the machine age ideas and making them reality, and Frank Lloyd Wright was building humane modern residences, but Mies and SOM received the money and had the influence.  A shame.

For residences, Modernism can only work if you have a staff to keep it maintained.  Otherwise it just feels shitty.   Same goes for public buildings, the unmaintained hulks of which litter the earth.  

All that being said, I like these interiors.  I work in a similar environment, and so long as I can still find privacy when I need it, the entire experience is agreeable.

fredjeang

« Reply #3637 on: August 17, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »

Johannes,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I think they used the word edonist. I'll look closely at his work.

As for the Cannon's design, I feel the same as you do. Of course, this has nothing to do with the excelent work (as always) of Chris. But I felt the same about the ceiling (probably for budget) then about the nature of the spaces.

TMARK: you resumed perfectly my thoughts: Modernism is expensive to maintain (time and costs).

Everything that is not constantly maintained into order goes to chaos in a question of hours. But in modernism-minimalism it takes huge proportions; those arquitects big projects orientated are shamely failing in order to provide us a day to day solution for our private spaces.
I am in post prod (both stills and motion), and you should see my kitchen...and I have to eat.
Of course it's august and the house keeper is on hollyday. I could go outside to eat twice a day but it would cost me many stomach issues.
Our parents had the solution: the wife ! But our generation is not buying this ( I certainly don't)
I'd like to have my kitchen as perfect as those modernists buildings, and I could, it would just costs me an incredible amount of time, or an army of house keepers.
So I keep it as the Bacon's studio...

Maybe I should try a dog.

I'm thinking of an example: when I was student in Paris, I found a job in a company call Sanofy (you've heard about LOreal). Well they had the building in the Champs Élysées, 15 minutes  walk from home. Lots of chic ladies, I had my morning coffees at the Fouquets, the building smelled old wood, fashion, elegance etc...then they decided to moved to the subburbs in a modernist building. Crappy zone, one of those depressing areas where all you have are delocalized big companies with zero bars. I remember it was summer and you had to wear sunglasses into the building corridors because of the enormous glasses windows, they replaced the Fouquets by water machines and artificial coffee and chocolate machines (please!...) in some strategical corners. The floor was extremely shiny but sliping and to go from one point to the other you'd need a bike. Without talking about the lost of time in metro to reach the zone...I quited the job and back to civilization.
I was living at that time just next door to the Chantal Thomass boutique, and when I passed again in front of the lingery roguish stuff I felt at home.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:53:49 pm by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #3638 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »

I never tire of looking at beautifully photographed modernist buildings - perhaps because they are the antithesis of my chosen subjects - but can't imagine having a workspace that is not my own, in every sense of the word.

Fred, love the Bacon image/example.

Keith, you know I'm a big fan of your work, and the only reason why I haven't ordered you some prints yet is because I don't like to hang images on walls. I like to create images, watch art, I don't enjoy to possess them.

But the reason why I like your work has precisely something to do with this debate (a little out of section but it's summer and the MF dealers are on hollyday).

There is the mix of chaos, accident, discovery and vision and then brilliant but measured human intervention through composition and colors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:39:25 pm by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #3639 on: August 18, 2012, 06:47:54 am »

For Rob and Fred,

Cheers.

BC
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 214   Go Up